City Elves in the South

Started by Spider, March 02, 2010, 03:30:07 PM

March 03, 2010, 11:55:09 AM #25 Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:19:03 PM by mansa
Synthesis is speaking my thoughts on the issue.

:edit:

I'm fine with a retcon, honestly.  Mostly because I'm used to retcons happening to any ongoing fiction where the authors change.

Some retcons are good, and some retcons are bad.

I mean, look at Star Trek.  Originally, there was no money in the Star Trek universe, but in Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Pressed Bars of Latlinum is money that is used frequently as plot devices.  I like that sort of storyline change.

City Elves in Allanak need to have a non-rinthi tribe, and that's more important than a rinthi one.  But -anything- changed in the game is welcome!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2010, 11:54:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the reason they went to "nicely RP'ed" is because Shalooonsh descended from the heavens and said, "If you keep this shit up, I will force-store you all. Have a nice day."  I'm also pretty sure that the only reason he gave them the option of self-correcting their behavior is because the key players are long-time vets who could understand when enough was enough.

I don't doubt the staff came down on the Red Fangs and improved the docs, worked with the players to make it a better fit for the world. I'm just not that pessimistic about the player base.

I don't believe, as you put it, that most players enjoy stealing and killing. On the contrary, I think most players enjoy good RP and wish they were part of more dramatic and revealing plots. I think many of them will take that over PKing mindlessly.

Anyway, there's nothing more I can add to this particular line of debate.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on March 03, 2010, 12:01:58 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2010, 11:54:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the reason they went to "nicely RP'ed" is because Shalooonsh descended from the heavens and said, "If you keep this shit up, I will force-store you all. Have a nice day."  I'm also pretty sure that the only reason he gave them the option of self-correcting their behavior is because the key players are long-time vets who could understand when enough was enough.

I don't doubt the staff came down on the Red Fangs and improved the docs, worked with the players to make it a better fit for the world. I'm just not that pessimistic about the player base.

I don't believe, as you put it, that most players enjoy stealing and killing. On the contrary, I think most players enjoy good RP and wish they were part of more dramatic and revealing plots. I think many of them will take that over PKing mindlessly.

Anyway, there's nothing more I can add to this particular line of debate.

Don't view stealing and killing shit as PKing and player v player only.

People LUV to go out hunting duskhorn and scrab.  People LUV to use their skills and 90% of skills involve, yep, you guessed it:  stealing shit, killing shit, crafting shit.

Synthesist isn't always right, but he's spot on there.  You can't just write up an amazing story to explain your tribe/clan.  As an individual, even two individuals, you can make any concept work.  But if you want to draw in players from the general populace, you need to offer outlets for the above.  stealing shit/killing shit/crafting shit.

People ALSO luv good rp.  Deep, revealing plots?  Hell ya.  Everyone is going to raise their hand and cry "Yes please".  But those plots only fill so much time and people can only sit in a tavern so long before the sparring/grebbing/work bug hits them.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I just don't see how allowing for a coded, easy to join elf clan is going to stray from your mold of being able to kill/craft/steal.

They would probably do all three, just like almost every other clan.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 03, 2010, 11:48:38 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on March 03, 2010, 11:37:20 AM
In the case of codedly unsupported tribes, I think the players themselves would quickly learn to keep their activities under the authorities' radar. We have HK, for example, that managed to do it for centuries. It's leaders are competent NPCs, though.

The problem is:  PCs don't go ballistic when NPCs steal shit from their persons/apartments, because NPCs never do it.  However, it doesn't take long for most folks to figure out who the PC burglar or pickpocket is, and as soon as that happens, anyone who has ever had anything to do with that burglar or pickpocket has now forfeited their life, as far as the apartment-based community in the city is concerned.

That goes for every unofficial group of PCs, tribal or not. When the said burglar has to mind the small guidelines for his tribe, he's far less likely to stir shit or he may even face sanctions from those on his side. Don't you think that with the addition of tribes, elves may have more incentive to stay in their eastside and squabble with each other than go south because there's nothing to do in the rinth? Dividing the territory and activities may do the trick. People love conflict, they'll fight over anything. There, less rats in the cleaner parts of the city.

Even if someone fucks up, pisses someone important and the current members of, say, Valuren end up impaled, the next batch will be more careful.

Think what was being pointed out is there are already clans/tribes based around stealing/killing and they are currently closed.  They wont create another from scratch if they want that element.  There is none (that I'm aware of) that 'focuses' on crafting in 'nak like the bejeweled hand does in tuluk.

The next part of that was a lack of resources in the south to support a crafting clan.  That is just plan wrong IMHO and I can only think of one major branch that is hard to go anywhere with in the south.  It's really to bad, but a fast fast hurdle to get over.

Tuluk is crafting newb-ville, but Allanak is hardly poor for crafters.  Easily #2 behind Tuluk with ample market (IMHO better markets for pc-made crafts because the npc wares are so shite).  Depending on what you're crafting, could be argued the vendor money is better in the south.  There are tons of raw materials (just different) available all the time in unlimited quantity.  Other resources are available with minimal danger.  The environment can't be argued, but that really is just part of the souths flavor.  If you wanna go prance around an air-conditioned forest, go read some WoW novels, leaf-eaters  ;D

A city-elf merchant in 'nak could have a field day.  Huge pc market, plenty of isolated social-classes to work between, plenty of crafting supplies, plenty of stupid round-ears to trick.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

As an administrator, I don't detail all of my plans for my responsibilities to the playerbase at large in advance (and as a general rule, most staffers keep to this for Arm 1.0).  Occasionally, you will see staff ask for feedback on things and that feedback may influence a future decision.  Staff will usually post announcements after changes, new additions, fixes, etc have been made.  This policy works out best for all involved:  you see work done rather than work promised, and we are held to the standards of work done rather than work promised.

This area is my responsibility, and I'm breaking my rule by saying that this sort of thing was on our list of things to look at months ago.  It is a list; there is an order to it.  Any changes implemented will be put in after they are ready and not a moment before.

Looks like people are just using this topic to be passive-aggressive to each other and staff.  Locking.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.