Map of Allanak.

Started by warforged32, March 02, 2010, 02:35:48 PM

The Tuluk helpfile was updated when New Tuluk was added in. It was a cosmetic addition made by veteran players (or staff) to basically introduce a new "large area" that people would be playing in significant numbers. Allanak has not had a significant facelift, and most people that care enough to go about making a new helpfile are the same people that have their own, more detailed versions.

If Allanak changed significantly enough to affect a greater number of the playerbase, the helpfile would be altered almost immediately.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

i made a map

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 04, 2010, 01:24:22 PM
i made a map

Why are you posting a map here? Have you not read ANY of these posts?

I think he's trying to be funny with that map. It's hardly going to ruin the game for anyone.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

But it has pretty colours.  8)

I particularly enjoy this map for its bright, vibrant colors, and that there are five "quarters."  And the speling erorr.  Epic map is in epic thread.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

In complete and sincere seriousness, Mansa's map is better than the other map for me to tell where the hell I'm going IC.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

1.) This map that I am making is intended to possibly replace the website's ANSI map of Allanak.
2.) It is not going to be an artistic map, nor will it be
3.) I might not even be allowed to post the map after completion, because I would still have to submit it for inspection by the staff first.
4.) If they say the map is too detailed, I will remove detail and resubmit it.
5.) The map is NOT intended to be a replacement for the IN-GAME ASCI map of Allanak, because I am not making an ASCI map, and the only way to have a map be in the in-game help files, is for it to be an ASCI map. I do not want it to be used for the in-game help files.

Quote1.) This map that I am making is intended to possibly replace the website's ANSI map of Allanak.

I have been trying to find this map you intend to replace, but to no avail. I only found a drawn map of the Known World. Can you link it or something?

The ANSI map of Allanak?

Seriously?

Mansa's map is accurate and aesthetically pleasing in many regards.

Can somebody make an ASCII version of Mansa's map to replace the one in the helpfiles?

Quote from: warforged32 on March 04, 2010, 05:22:21 PM
The ANSI map of Allanak?

Seriously?

Calm down man.  You come off as sounding very, very angry.

Your map idea is a good one and I hope to see it once it's gone through the proper channels.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: warforged32 on March 04, 2010, 05:22:21 PM
The ANSI map of Allanak?

Seriously?

I really don't get what you're talking about. I know the ASCII map in the help file that you don't want to replace, but I don't know of any map - ANSI or otherwise - of Allanak, on the website, that you do want to replace. If you'd give a link of what you're talking about like I asked that would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'm just confused, but like Fusoya, your map idea is a good one and I hope to see it once it's gone through the proper channels.

Edit: Maybe if someone cleaned up Mansa's map and actually made it a square, and included the streets...

Quote from: Ampere on March 04, 2010, 01:12:28 PM
Quote from: Inigo MontoyaYou keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ANSI: A character set that defines 256 characters. The first 128 are ASCII, and the second 128 contain math and foreign language symbols.
vs
ASCII: An 8-bit character set defining alphanumeric characters.

For those who don't wish to nit-pick, ANSI art and ASCII art are terms that might be used interchangeably to mean pictures made out of symbols.
http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001787_Understanding_ASCII_and_ANSI_Characters.html
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

mansa's map is the best to ever be produced for the game.

warforged32 is, I think, the young delerak.  Except this time, he came across (read: stole) Bill & Ted's time traveling phone booth and travelled to the future in order to try and convince us to use his map.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Quote from: bardbard#4 on March 04, 2010, 11:28:29 PM
mansa's map is the best to ever be produced for the game.

warforged32 is, I think, the young delerak.  Except this time, he came across (read: stole) Bill & Ted's time traveling phone booth and travelled to the future in order to try and convince us to use his map.

I have no idea what any of that means...

If you go to the website, and click help files, then scroll to the map_allanak one, it shows the map. The problem is, I don't know if that is what the game links to for its help files, or if the game has them built in. If the game links to the help files on the site as opposed to having help files built into the game, then this map wouldn't replace -anything- I guess, it would just be a map on the site or in the forums for people to refer to if they get lost OOC, thus forcing their character to be lost. That has happened to -me- before, when I first started playing Crackageddon. I started out in Tuluk, and it was a sandstorm/late-at-night, and I was lost OOC, even though my character would have known where he was.

Q:     I have been trying to map out every single place I can go in Allanak, but, there are "places I -can't- go" and "places I didn't know I wasn't -supposed- to go"/"places I didn't realize I was in". Is there anyone who can help me solve this problem? I mapped out a huge chunk of the Elementalist's Quarter, but I couldn't get it all done before realizing I was -in- the Elementalist's Quarter.

As far as I can tell, I have every place that I can access mapped out. Now I need to modify some of the tiles, as they look ridiculous and make the map look less clean-cut and simple.

The helpfiles on the site are the same help files in the game.  They are the same in both places so that people not logged in can see the same helpfiles.

I would recommend hooking up with a helper, that'd probably be your best bet overall.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

How would a helper accomplish this task of helping me? I am unfamiliar with what helpers are able to do in-game.

From the helper website:

QuotePlayer helpers are players like yourself who are experienced with the game. They can answer questions and tell you when a question should be directed to the mud account or submitted through the request tool.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

So, they would be able to get me the road/building layouts for the areas I cannot access?

(My apologies. I am very un-skilled when it comes to these types of things. I usually just play a game and figure things out as I go. But with this game, I really am trying to learn when I'm not playing to better myself for when I -am- playing.)

Well, that's not exactly what I meant.  You can contact a player helper for a lot of things, but giving you exact mapping coordinates probably won't be one of those things.  If it doesn't make IC sense for your character to be somewhere, you probably should not be there.  If an area is off-limits to your character, then you as a player will also not be able to map it.  That is generally why the map in-game (and on the site) only lists a few key areas you should know about, with very general directions.  The rest is best found out IC (or avoided IC).

Well, is there a way to find out where exactly the non-restricted-access areas start, so that I can remove those for the map?

Coincidentally, the best place to go might be a look at the existing map.  The templar's quarter?  That's for templars.  The noble's quarter is for nobles.  The elementalist's quarter is for elementalists; though non-gemmers can walk around there to an extent, they probably wouldn't.  The merchant's quarter holds the merchant Estates which you can't enter without being a member of one of those Houses.

A helper can answer those kinds of questions though, and I'd recommend talking to one of them in general.

Hmm... Alright.

Would you like me to send you a copy of the map so you have a better idea as to what I want it to be like? No biggy if you don't, I'm just curious.

Warforged --

A lot of people are subtly trying to funnel you down a path where you will either realize or be told (by a helper, Staff member, whomever) that despite your best intentions, the very aspect of the map you hope to improve is one that has been purposefully avoided in the maps currently available in-game and in the web site's helpfiles (same thing).  In many of your posts, you use words like accurate and accurately-scaled, which implies that you are hoping to create a map that players can more easily navigate as it corresponds to their literal movements (5 north, 2 east, 3 north) vs. relational movement (the labyrinth is north of the main bazaar).

The maps aren't meant to convey accurate distances or literal steps to players -- only to provide a bird's eye view of the city so that players can have a basic understanding of where things physically sit in relation to one another.  Using the current map of Allanak, one can see that if they are in the commoner's area and want to get to the bazaar, they need to travel roughly northeast.

It seems like you've been frustrated at a few events where you've gotten lost in a given city-state/area, and thought the map was going to help guide you to where you wanted to go -- but the map isn't there to serve as an OOC tour guide.  And that's why many players spend a fair amount of time walking around and mapping locations out for themselves.  Exploring is part of the fun of the game, in my opinion.  I even used to create little booklets of graph paper and create mini-tomes of areas I'd explored/visited.

That said, always feel free to send ideas for improvements and new materials to the Imm Staff.  I just wouldn't want you to put a ton of work into something you thought would be instantly picked up and used by the community only to be disappointed.

-LoD