NPC Variation and Intelligence

Started by jmordetsky, February 16, 2010, 09:32:49 PM

There was a discussion on a clan forum about NPC intelligence and danger and I was curious to get some feedback on ideas around how to add some extra smarts, variation and general BBQ sauce to existing NPCs . An example are the gith in the red desert, they do all sorts of neat stuff now (visit your local gith store for details).

Idea 1 danger variations - If we had the of a "conditional spawn" - like when a gith died and a new one was going to spawn there is:

90% chance it's a raider
80% chance it's a scout
50% chance it's an archer(see below)
40% chance it's an elite (see below)
10% chance it's a mage/shaman/priest (see below)

That would let you rotate in very bad ass classes of gith on a infrequent basis. Where:

1) An elite is a raider, but much more bad ass weaponry and skills, maybe poisoned spears
2) An archer has well...arrows.
3) Mage/Shaman spawns with 2 or three guards and has an arsenal of spells to f-with you.

This could help to keep things interesting. Rolling into a given area where you expect certain behavior might yield surprising results.

Idea 2 - Gortoks, howling to summon pals. Pretty self explanatory. If you are fighting a tok and there are other toks a few rooms nearby the Tok howls to tell it's pack to move in.

That's what I got. Add yours.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on February 16, 2010, 09:32:49 PM
There was a discussion on a clan forum about NPC intelligence and danger and I was curious to get some feedback on ideas around how to add some extra smarts, variation and general BBQ sauce to existing NPCs . An example are the gith in the red desert, they do all sorts of neat stuff now (visit your local gith store for details).

Idea 1 danger variations - If we had the of a "conditional spawn" - like when a gith died and a new one was going to spawn there is:

90% chance it's a raider
80% chance it's a scout
50% chance it's an archer(see below)
40% chance it's an elite (see below)
10% chance it's a mage/shaman/priest (see below)

That would let you rotate in very bad ass classes of gith on a infrequent basis. Where:

1) An elite is a raider, but much more bad ass weaponry and skills, maybe poisoned spears
2) An archer has well...arrows.
3) Mage/Shaman spawns with 2 or three guards and has an arsenal of spells to f-with you.

This could help to keep things interesting. Rolling into a given area where you expect certain behavior might yield surprising results.

Idea 2 - Gortoks, howling to summon pals. Pretty self explanatory. If you are fighting a tok and there are other toks a few rooms nearby the Tok howls to tell it's pack to move in.

That's what I got. Add yours.

These percentages add up to a mind boggling 270%. Not sure how that's intended to be implemented, but I'm going to assume it's just some numbers you pulled out for an example.

I like the idea. As it is now, people pretty much know where all the spawns are and exactly what's going to spawn there.  It could encourage you to gather a bunch of OOC knowledge to know where the normal spawns are. Things do get moved with people come near, but that's a rarity it seems. That's just what it feels like, I still need to play a bit longer before I get a good feel for all of that.

I like the idea. Well, both actually.

First real post with my opinion in it, don't hurt me. :D
Alea iacta est

The wastes are dangerous enough without a bunch of overpowered random encounters.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 17, 2010, 06:59:12 AM
The wastes are dangerous enough without a bunch of overpowered random encounters.

I hate to agree with Synthesis... Just kidding, I haven't found many posts by Gimf I agree with but want to expound on and I want in on that game

I agree with Synthesis, though. I mean, not everyone has the playtimes to only leave the city with groups, first off. Second off, don't tell me not to leave the city without a group. Wandering the wilderness is my second favorite thing to do in Arm. And if it wasn't quite popular, rangers wouldn't have nearly the percentage they do among characters played. So just don't say it. It's pointless. I'm sorry you only play at peak times and never have this issue.

While I think giving more intelligence to npcs is always a good thing, I think that making wilderness encounters flat-out more challenging is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth. My mouth, and possibly a fair number of others. Other players who like to make explorer characters, or other players who need to hunt to survive, or other players who play off-peak and really just don't have a regular 'group' to go out with.

I like the general idea (make npcs smarter), but I'm violently opposed to some of the details offered (ie, a chance to make the gith encounter probably about 5x more deadly by making a single gith into a caster and two-three other gith, or that gortoks already DO act in packs, and yet you want to.. I'm not sure... make the howl bring them from 10 rooms away? They already run in on any combat within line of sight, and there tend to be 2 or more within line of sight of each other as is.)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

February 17, 2010, 02:15:13 PM #4 Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:16:44 PM by janeshephard
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 17, 2010, 02:05:55 PM

While I think giving more intelligence to npcs is always a good thing, I think that making wilderness encounters flat-out more challenging is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree with you Amanda. I also agree some of the critters need to be dumbed down some. I'd like to see less intelligent tracking. When you bump into someone at one point in the Known and they're being chased by a critter from some other end of the Known it makes the critter seem a bit TOO smart.

If anything give PCs creative ways of dealing with beasts. I figured out one or two ways to use nature against nature but they almost seem exploitative sometimes. I'd love to see raptor urine in raptor bladders. "pour bladder me" == win. Stuff like that :)

EDIT: I'm going to put that last idea through the request tool and see if staff will go for it sometime in the future.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I think that scripts can be created that bring the game to life more, make it grittier and less predictable, but at the same time don't necessarily make the game world more dangerous.  If there is a problem in the OP approach, it is that the ideas presented include elements that increase danger.  Some ideas around this:

Verrin hawks/kylori/etc:  Have a chance when wounded to flee and get set with a flag that treats melee attacks like kick/bash are currently handled.  So you would have to use a bow/thrown object/magick to finish them off as they fly around in the sky above you.

Shik:  Have a chance to latch onto your mount as you ride by and start sucking off hps (basically follow+ldesc change+suckin hps, not combat) to a certain level, then it lets go, satiated.  Have it reduce max mv for the mount for awhile if it completes the feeding.  So you need to take care of it, somehow.

Scrab:  Mmmm, no, scrabs are just dumb bugs.

Raptor:  Instead of needing combat to initiate track, having them track things that have gone through the same room as them.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on February 17, 2010, 02:28:28 PM
I think that scripts can be created that bring the game to life more, make it grittier and less predictable, but at the same time don't necessarily make the game world more dangerous.  If there is a problem in the OP approach, it is that the ideas presented include elements that increase danger.

I'm sure plenty of people will argue, but the wastes are downright easy to navigate and survive.  Issues are running into Big Bad Nasties (Meks/horrors/thegreatunknown/dragons), but the run of the mill npc critters (gith, tembo, scrab, gortok) are absolutely not dangerous.  They can and do kill people, but only through stupidity, bad planning or bad luck.  If you, the pc, plan ahead and make sure to keep your escape route clear, very few of the npcs are a danger.

The npcs that are dangerous are the ones that have scripts and act in less than diku-mob predictable ways.  While I'm not a huge fan of the specific ideas mentioned above, I am a big pro-ponent of more randomized npc abilities.  Something to keep the code-savvy players on their toes while not making the whole idea of outdoor life a taxing ordeal.

NPCs need to react to archery and ranged combat intelligently.  Less solo gith's charging a whole crew of byn just because they are flagged 'aggressive'.  Same with less-bright races, ie scrab, beetles, etc.  Animals shouldn't be suicidal, and charging groups of anything not 10x smaller than you seems suicidal (maybe different reactions from animals based on location.  Most shit will just run away if out matched, or try to, but if you're near/in their den, watch out)

Maybe the coded combat ability does not need to be tweaked, just more scripts to flush npcs out.

(basically just expand on what's already happened over the past half decade.  most notable npcs have scripts to dictate behavior.  Just need to step that AI up.)
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'm all for the original idea. I don't think it will really make things much tougher, but it sure will go a long way for mixing things up and making it a bit more realistic. I hate it when you get to the point where:

OOCly: "Alright, let's go see if that skeet that spawns near the tree is there at the moment."

Icly: "Let's go hunting and see what we can find today."

I'd like spawns to be more random but still fitting for their location. More variations on the same type of creature. (appearance, etc) and more variation on what sort of can and do spawn there. Also with differing rarity.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: racurtne on February 17, 2010, 05:27:11 AM
These percentages add up to a mind boggling 270%.

Right, consider it an if(firstRollSucceeds){ exit;} elseif(secondRoll) etc;

www.j03m.com

You know....no.  I don't think they're dangerous enough.  I love this idea.  

What would enhance the multi-player aspect of this game more - the predictable nature of respawns allowing for experienced players to exponentially handicap the 'harshness' of the world for subsequent characters, thus allowing for more solo playing by veteran players /OR/ random badassedness appearing where you just thought you'd get to kill the nth skeet of the day or safely skirt past generic gith load 12 (oh wait, someone cleared the road already? phew!)??

Imagine the events that would happen the first time someone spam-ran, bloody and smoking into Luir's to alert the ever-edgy Kuraci that there's a gith wiggler burning up traders within a tregil-toss from their gates?  

I love the idea of a lone desert wanderer myself, all rangery and sweetness.   But the times I've had to build up a crew were the best of all.  

If you think the wastes aren't dangerous, I wonder if you're doing things right.  As I understand it, clanned PCs are supposed to use wish to describe what they are doing out in the wastes.  If you do your part, you won't regret it, and riding/running around won't exactly be boring.  You will be on your toes the whole time, and you will, some times, run into adventure you never expected.

You hit that on the head, though. Clanned pcs. As in, usually groups of pcs. First of all.

Second,  I can't give out direct details on the pc themselves, but I've had one pc, who was a ranger, with more than ten days played, manage to get shot 3 times in under a minute by a gith, dropping them from 127 hp to about 12 hp. And then, said gith chased them over 30 rooms, all the way to the nearest civilization.

So... yeah. Whatever. And she WAS in a group. She just got picked off and chased for whatever reason.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Kryos on February 18, 2010, 10:06:38 AM
If you think the wastes aren't dangerous, I wonder if you're doing things right.  As I understand it, clanned PCs are supposed to use wish to describe what they are doing out in the wastes.  If you do your part, you won't regret it, and riding/running around won't exactly be boring.  You will be on your toes the whole time, and you will, some times, run into adventure you never expected.

Really doesn't scale.

www.j03m.com

As I understand it, clanned PCs are supposed to use wish to describe what they are doing out in the wastes. 

Really? I wasn't aware of that...

Think mages need to be like, 0.1%. Nasty peoples they is, especially with guards.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

February 19, 2010, 09:34:37 AM #15 Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:12:52 AM by Synthesis
Aggro NPC mages? No.

Not only "no," but "fuck no."

You might as well code no-warning 15-room fall, 100% difficulty climb-check death pits at random locations in the desert.  If you like getting randomly ganked by NPCs so much, feel free to walk around the 'rinth wearing silks.

Please watch your tone, indicating that someone could go play another game isn't a very friendly attitude.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Akaramu on February 19, 2010, 06:22:36 AM
As I understand it, clanned PCs are supposed to use wish to describe what they are doing out in the wastes. 

It's always a good idea, even if you're clanless. I don't think it's a requirement per se, but in my experience it's always made things more fun. Waaaaaay more fun. I usually save the wishing up for that sort of thing to clan leaders when I'm with a group, because they're more in contact with the staff anyway and may have already laid out the itinerary for them. Also, my wishes usually come off as "hey we're going [there], it sure would be a -shame- if something terrible happened!" and I don't feel comfortable being "that" guy playfully taunting the staff when someone else is running the show.

As to the topic at hand, yeah, I would love some variation on things. It's sometimes easy to avoid danger unless you're actively looking for it. Aggro, automated mage NPCs, though? No thanks. But that goes back to wishing up when you go to new places, or old places that you just -know- are filled with magickal danger. If I'm going to be all 'gicked at, I want to know there's a human mind behind its action (even if it's just insta-gib).
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on February 19, 2010, 10:27:07 AM

It's always a good idea, even if you're clanless.

I dunno. For the avid hunter this could mean wishing up every half hour or so.  I can see staff asking you to stop. I've never done it and know that staff were aware of most my comings and goings regardless.

Maybe this is for a specific clan because they have a specific set of enemies that would come after them. In any case, I've never been asked to wish up when heading to the wilderness. *shudder* :)

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on February 19, 2010, 10:29:46 AM
Quote from: Zoltan on February 19, 2010, 10:27:07 AM

It's always a good idea, even if you're clanless.

I dunno. For the avid hunter this could mean wishing up every half hour or so.  I can see staff asking you to stop. I've never done it and know that staff were aware of most my comings and goings regardless.

Maybe this is for a specific clan because they have a specific set of enemies that would come after them. In any case, I've never been asked to wish up when heading to the wilderness. *shudder* :)

I know I shouldn't speak for staff, but I can almost 100% guarantee you that they won't be bugged at all by you just giving them an FYI whenever you head into the wilderness. I suppose if you're like, demanding interaction every thirty minutes, that could be overkill.  :) I don't think I've ever personally been asked to get in that habit of the "wish for doom update", but I think I read about it somewhere on the GDB and I just dug it so much I added it to my routine. I know I've never been asked to -stop- doing it!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

We encourage you to wish up when you are heading out to do something like this.  We may not always answer, but it's a good fyi.  You should also wish up before you do anything where NPCs should react more realistically than the code allows, such as breaking into a compound or apartment.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I've been playing for over a decade and I don't think I've ever wished up to announce that I'm going out to do x, y, or z.  I doubt the staff care if you're just going out to kill your 9 millionth tandu so you can pay your rent.

Not to mention the fact that if you're trying to pay your rent, pretty much the last thing you need is a staff member harassing you.  You'll get plenty of negative encounters, but I don't think I've ever gotten a positive one.

Not to say that a negative encounter necessarily isn't amusing, but it's not conducive to getting shit done that needs to get done.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 19, 2010, 11:19:45 AM
I've been playing for over a decade and I don't think I've ever wished up to announce that I'm going out to do x, y, or z.  I doubt the staff care if you're just going out to kill your 9 millionth tandu so you can pay your rent.

Not to mention the fact that if you're trying to pay your rent, pretty much the last thing you need is a staff member harassing you.  You'll get plenty of negative encounters, but I don't think I've ever gotten a positive one.

Not to say that a negative encounter necessarily isn't amusing, but it's not conducive to getting shit done that needs to get done.

I've wished up many times before, and I can say that it's brought a mix of positive encounters, negative encounters, and nothing noticeably different. It's especially helpful to do it if you're doing something particularly dangerous, or if you're traveling with a group, so that staff can prepare an appropriate response to your presence. I think staff won't mind if you're a hunter going out for the nine millionth time for the eventless tandu hunt, but if you're going to Sekrit Dangerous Place X or going out to kill Dangerous Thing Y it might be a good idea to wish up - they actually might save you from death by echoing the impending doom around you.

That said, I think this method is vastly preferable compared to the proposed idea because staff will generally supply an appropriate danger to a given situation, and randomized events may actually prove more frustrating.

February 19, 2010, 11:37:28 AM #23 Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:46:28 AM by janeshephard
Quote from: Morgenes on February 19, 2010, 11:16:12 AM
We encourage you to wish up when you are heading out to do something like this.  We may not always answer, but it's a good fyi.  You should also wish up before you do anything where NPCs should react more realistically than the code allows, such as breaking into a compound or apartment.

The helpfile for wish should describe something about this but I'm not sure how to word it. Right now it does say we should use it sparingly.

EDIT: This is derailing the thread sorry.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 19, 2010, 09:34:37 AM
Aggro NPC mages? No.

Not only "no," but "fuck no."

You might as well code no-warning 15-room fall, 100% difficulty climb-check death pits at random locations in the desert.  If you like getting randomly ganked by NPCs so much, feel free to walk around the 'rinth wearing silks.

Marijuana is all but legal in California. Move there. Soon.

www.j03m.com