Mounts will go on without you if you fall off

Started by MarshallDFX, February 10, 2010, 12:41:43 PM

02/08/2010: Mounts will go on without you if you fall off (1/25/09) -- Morgenes

I don't quite understand what this means.

If you fall off the mount keeps moving in the direction you were moving.

MY BUTT HURTS.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

But you don't follow it.
And you get unhitched...

I don't look forward to learning to ride from the ground up, so to speak, in the future...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

I'm a bit vague as to what happens when you're following another PC.  But then, I haven't played anything with crappy riding in a long while.

The mount keeps going, you stay were you fell, and then if the people you're following keep going, the mount stays where it is.

It's fun!... err... sorta...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11

February 10, 2010, 12:55:13 PM #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:57:29 PM by MarshallDFX
Well right now the followers will show up behind you on foot, hitched to their mount if they somehow fell during the move?  I think?

I don't think that's changing, is it?

Not yesterday they didn't... or else ARM doesn't like me specifically.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11

February 10, 2010, 12:57:36 PM #7 Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:03:50 PM by MarshallDFX
It's just that one of the big benefits to the new riding code is that your group doesn't spend a bunch of time waiting for the new riders who are failing 100 times on the difficult terrain.

If this change is not retroactive to said group riding benefit, then I'm not worried.

So let's say I'm leading or whatever.

As it is now:
Dismounted rider and mount have entered.  He must have fallen during the follow.

I truly hope that has not be changed to:
Just a mount entered.  The rider is in the previous room, sitting.

Also:

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on February 10, 2010, 12:57:05 PM
Not yesterday they didn't... or else ARM doesn't like me specifically.

They didn't what?

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 10, 2010, 12:57:36 PM

I truly hope that has not be changed to:
Just a mount entered.  The rider is in the previous room, sitting.

They don't keep following.

The quote there is what was happening to me except I was standing after falling off... Anyone else?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11

QuoteJust a mount entered.  The rider is in the previous room, sitting.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

That noise you just heard was the snickers of a thousand desert-elves as they suddenly start shadowing n00b riders.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Sometimes people wouldn't notice they'd fallen, yes.  I really don't think this is the best solution though.

February 10, 2010, 05:24:45 PM #12 Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:28:30 PM by Salt Merchant
I think I'll only play Whirans after this.

EDIT: and sexy aides that never leave the city.
Lunch makes me happy.

change objective Write the mudsexx Kama Sutra.

8)
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11

QuoteThat noise you just heard was the snickers of a thousand desert-elves as they suddenly start shadowing n00b riders mounts

Fixed.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah. This is retarded. Sorry, staff, but this was just a bad addition.

It was perfect as you had it - They fall off, get hurt a little, and continue riding.

Now, if you are in big groups, you leave people behind if you do not notice the moment one of the mounts are without rider.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I would just like to add in that I have actually already experienced this code change with people that were not good at riding, for one reason or another. It is about as inconvenient for the leader as it was waiting for mounts to move "in the good old days". For the one that falls, its not that difficult if you pay attention.

As has been said before... after a couple days played of somewhat rigorous training, ride out without weapons or a shield out and you'll be more than fine.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

If you suck at riding you probably shouldn't be in a great big herd of mounted soldiers anyway.

Lag behind and potentially get eaten, or keep up.  Zalanthan Darwanism.  I like how this reinforces the need to be good at what you do (riding) before you go out on a great big mission.  I also like that this adds a difficulty bump.  If you spend a couple/few RL days working this it should be a non-issue.

Leaders: tired of that turd falling off his mount?  Idea: leave the fucker in the city!  If you're not a good enough leader to take care of some schmoe who can't even ride, why the hell did you bother to bring him out with you in the first place!?

Also, try to think of the fun aspects, folks.  Bynner Bob sucks at riding.  This is your chance to laugh at him as he plods through the sand behind his mount, trying desperately to jump on its back.  Eventually he'll get better and he can go on that big contract, but for now it's free range to make fun of his poor riding every time you take him out in a small group.

I don't think leaving all your newb-riding minions in the city while you go out is good advice for any leader.  We want to have fun too, please?

I, too, believe having to grind ride before you can go out to do the Fun Shit will make Armagedon more enjoyable.
Quote from: JingoGrovelling to power is probably an even bigger theme in this game than the three word tag-line.

I'm not disagreeing, but how does practicing more make the game more enjoyable?

Quote from: Pheonix on February 10, 2010, 11:14:21 PM
I'm not disagreeing, but how does practicing more make the game more enjoyable?

help sarcasm
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

before change: wah wah wah falling off and losing HP makes it so unplayable!

after change: wah wah falling off and being left behind makes it so unplayable!

::)

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 10, 2010, 11:16:54 PM
before change: wah wah wah falling off and losing HP makes it so unplayable!

after change: wah wah falling off and being left behind makes it so unplayable!

::)

I started the thread to clarify that it meant what I thought it meant.

My only point was that the fix I enjoyed (being that people got left behind far less), is now negated somewhat.  It is hardly unplayable.  I was just thinking that easing "leader" issues was part of the point of the new riding code (that and realism).

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 10, 2010, 10:33:15 PM
I don't think leaving all your newb-riding minions in the city while you go out is good advice for any leader.  We want to have fun too, please?

That's not what I suggested.  I suggested discretion.