Mounts will go on without you if you fall off

Started by MarshallDFX, February 10, 2010, 12:41:43 PM

I still have not received a single email with a log showing multiple falls in a short period.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I saw this happen during my incident, and could provide logs, but its a waste of time. I'm 100% positive the rider was NOT using both hands and doing any number of things not paramount to being able to ride properly.

People. Buy riding gloves.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

To me it appears this would be an opportunity for leaders, to expand beyond sparring and tavern sitting and have other things your group can do together as 'lessons', as well as mandating that people do everything else they can to stay on when it is very important.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

HALF-BREED RANGER/MERCENARIES OF THE WORLD, UNITE
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Bah, meks are for newbs.

EXPLORE THE SILT SEA IN STYLE ON THE NEW RX-41 MARK IV RANGER-TAMED SILT HORROR
- Kurac-crafted golden-stitched "hardass pterodactyl" leather saddle
- Standard 4x4x4x4x4x4 all-tentacle drive
- n00b-Seeker® auto-navigation system
- Insta-Death® theft prevention system
- Available in glossy, gore-encrusted, or blood-spattered black!
- "My other mount is a Tuluki templar" license plate frame
- "Make smoke not war" bumper sticker

Yours for the low, low price of the dying screams of a thousand dead rangers! Financing available for well-qualified PKers!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Man
Do I enjoy seeing people fall off their mounts and not me
Gets me everytime
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

February 11, 2010, 12:37:29 PM #32 Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:39:47 PM by Spider
Quote from: Chettaman on February 11, 2010, 12:15:11 PM
Man
Do I enjoy seeing people fall off their mounts and not me
Gets me everytime

Especially Templars and nobles.

think Hahaha!

Edited to add something useful:

The only times I've seen multiple fall offs(and leave behinds) is when the rider is not taking the proper precautions. The skill grind is not that bad at all, and rather quick in comparison to the past code(at least it feels that way). I also have noticed an increase in ride training rules IG. So, basically just added another thing to RP with, instead of spamming a direction after: a war beetle refuses to move.

Dang
havnt had the pleasure
psst
too much punctuation
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Please either contribute to the conversation or take it to the Out of Character forums.  It's hard to keep up with these as it is, if you would like staff to contribute, please consider that when posting trivial posts.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I think the change by itself would not be a problem if max ride for non-rangers was increased.

I don't so much have a problem falling off while I'm still learning - but I have a pretty seasoned character now with about 20 days played, much of which was spent riding. I obviously can't tell for certain, but I'm confident I've maxed out ride at some point - but I still fall. (I'm a warrior with a non-ride subclass).

I think if you bumped this a bit, so that it was feasible to learn to get past it so it happened very infrequently that would be better. Though - it happens fairly infrequently now...so I could live without it.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Riev on February 10, 2010, 11:57:04 PM

As far as I can tell - these do nothing.

www.j03m.com

Well, they're just gloves. How much better at riding could gloves actually make you?

Riding Gloves, Riding Harnesses, Riding Crops, Riding Claws, Riding Hats, Riding Belts, Riding Key Chain Pendants, Riding Necklaces...

If its used in riding, it will help you ride better somehow. Wearing a pair of gloves won't make you a breed ranger with a psi ability to talk to animals but it was a push to say "If you can't ride as well as you would like, seek IC ways to improve"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on February 12, 2010, 03:12:06 AM
seek IC ways to improve"

Or you could just raise the cap a bit.

www.j03m.com

How the hell can you ascertain what he can tell?

That's bloody amazing!  ;)

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 12, 2010, 03:40:18 AM
Quote from: jmordetsky on February 12, 2010, 02:57:58 AM
Quote from: Riev on February 10, 2010, 11:57:04 PM

As far as I can tell - these do nothing.

This is incorrect.

That may well be :). But two things on that though -

One - only the Imms know. If Morg says, "Riding gloves give you a coded boost to riding." I will believe it. My observation at present is that they do not and if they do - it is not enough to give a warrior shelter from falling a bit.  (By a bit, I mean about once per morning - afternoon patrol - which is a long ride, but still, I'm thinking falling should occur once a month for a good rider.)

Two - It still shouldn't matter. After riding for years and years and years, I should feasibly be able to get better at it then I am right now. Maybe that's a balance thing, and maybe right now the only way around that is by special request (I'm okay with that), but we can't say - magickally sparkly riding gloves will make it all better.

Quote from: jstorrie on February 12, 2010, 03:07:07 AM
Well, they're just gloves. How much better at riding could gloves actually make you?

Yea, exactly. Not as good as 2 years of patrolling the desert.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Morgenes on February 10, 2010, 11:51:25 PM
I still have not received a single email with a log showing multiple falls in a short period.

I have a log but won't send it. I fell twice in a row. The reason I won't send it is because my character is fairly new. I can send it to you if this is not working as intended. Thanks.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

This is just my observation and opinion.  First, I think a non-ranger, non-ride race, non-ride subguild should be able to get damn, damn good at riding.

If you are basing a riding check on a 100 roll to determine success, you aren't making them as good as I think they should be.  Unless you combine multiple rolls, a 100 roll is going to mean at minimum, you are going to fail ride (albeit with different outcomes), if you can fail ride, at a minimum of 1%.  This is, on average, once every 100 rooms.  Which for someone who rides a lot, is way too much.

The roll should be at least 1000, to have better granularity.  Or a combination of different rolls (which can get you to less than 1% fail rate).  To me, 1/1000 to 3/1000 chance would be about right.  In fairly difficult terrain (although not the hardest, I would agree 1% would be about right for the hardest 2-3 rsectors).
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Well, don't forget that mount type and mount's condition do affect this stuff.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

February 12, 2010, 12:13:29 PM #46 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:32:08 PM by jmordetsky
Quote from: Twilight on February 12, 2010, 12:04:42 PM
This is just my observation and opinion.  First, I think a non-ranger, non-ride race, non-ride subguild should be able to get damn, damn good at riding.

If you are basing a riding check on a 100 roll to determine success, you aren't making them as good as I think they should be.  Unless you combine multiple rolls, a 100 roll is going to mean at minimum, you are going to fail ride (albeit with different outcomes), if you can fail ride, at a minimum of 1%.  This is, on average, once every 100 rooms.  Which for someone who rides a lot, is way too much.

The roll should be at least 1000, to have better granularity.  Or a combination of different rolls (which can get you to less than 1% fail rate).  To me, 1/1000 to 3/1000 chance would be about right.  In fairly difficult terrain (although not the hardest, I would agree 1% would be about right for the hardest 2-3 rsectors).

Yea, agree. That is pretty much where I'm at. I don't so much have a problem with the penalty. I don't even have a problem with the penalty being applied lavishly on new riders, but at some point, some time, regardless of your class - you should be able to work into being a seasoned rider where this penalty occurs very infrequently. When I say infrequently, I mean like 1 time in a few months under harsh conditions. I don't so much know how it would work, but it seems like raising the cap would handle it, but then you have balance issues I guess.

Like, would raising it enough to avoid falls over time also allow non-rangers to ride with no hands? That might not be good, but - if you think about the storm + hitch code mechanics, ranger ride is already at a fair advantage even if other guilds go this benefit.

www.j03m.com

February 12, 2010, 12:28:37 PM #47 Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:37:45 PM by jmordetsky
Quote from: Morgenes on February 10, 2010, 11:51:25 PM

I think it will depend on what you define as short, and how the players perceive that. I'll give you a recent example here, you can probably look my character up at some point look over his skills, lifetime etc and determine this is acceptable/expected. I would imagine my current character is about as good as he's going to get on a mount, based on past lives and the length of time he has been riding.

He is a warrior with a crafter sub. His job is to "patrol" a certain area, which I would consider mid-difficulty terrain (read: sand) with high-difficulty weather (read: very stormy). He does so on a near regular basis and the entire patrol normally takes him from morning to late afternoon over the course of about 100 outdoor rooms. During these patrols, depending on the weather (usually if it is stormy) I will fall 1 time. The last time I was out, it was in blinding winds and I am not a ranger and I fell twice (over a 100 room trail). Though I had lots of other failures like mount won't move, going the wrong way (due to storms) etc.

Edit to add: I also ride with 1 hand (shielded) at a walking pace.

Edit again after reading Xeran's post: This is on a war beetle, that at the time of the fall was probably pushing tired-v.tired.

(That's really not that bad. So - consider that I am optimizing a bit when I post this feed back, not complaining.)

I guess the question is - if you play a non-ranger with a non-ride sub and this is as good as your going to get, is that frequency of falling (daily) what we're aiming for? At the end of the day (regardless of the hubbaloo folks make) is that really so bad? Probably not, would it be cool if over long, long periods of time we could get past it where falling happened once a month? Yar, for sure.

Now - going totally out of left field. It would be cool if all skills had 2 caps :). 1 cap which was your max for the skill the way it is now, but rather then a hard cap it was a soft cap that reduced your ability to gain by some significant amount. Post the first cap, with the reduced learning capacity for the skill you could still reach the second cap (a hard cap). With that in place, a warrior could learn to ride very well, but only after a significant amount of time invested.

That and if stormwalk was a *learnable* skill I'd get a boner.

www.j03m.com

I think that "teach" is by far one of the least used commands in the game.

Riding problems in groups could easily be solved by a little "teach"ing here and there.

Senior Sergeant says "Ok, before we head out men I'm going to go over some basics."
Senior Sergeant says "Remember to grip your reins, use your heels, yadda yadda yadda whatever else".
Senior Sergeant says "Allow me to demosntrate"
Senior Sergeant rides around.
Senior Sergeant leaves east.
Senior Sergeant has arrived from the east.
Senior Sergeant rides around a little more.
Senior Sergeant says "Any questions?"
You say "No, I think I understand".
Senior Sergeant instructs you in "Ride".
You and Senior Sergeant head out.

--about 45 minutes later while out on mission--
You attempt to follow Senior Sergeant north but fall off your kank.
Senior Sergeant has arrived from the north.
Senior Sergeant says "What seems to be the problem?"
You say "Something with my balance, and all the bumps."
Senior Sergeant says "Here, just adjust your seating like this and tighten up your hammys for a better grip on the kank."
Senior Sergeant demonstrates.
Senior Sergeant instructs you in "Ride".

A couple, or a few, instances like this and you will not be having riding difficulties.
Especially in an organization I would imagine if you couldn't ride you shouldn't be going out on a mission.
For individuals that would be riding alone outside... practice a little in the city. It doesn't take that long.

Not saying its a good change, but usually things are only added due to popular demand, so its less likely to be revoked.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

I believe, having the skill "ride" on your skill list has enough of "you know the basics about this skill".

Which meant, you can use the command "teach" to teach someone to ride codewise.

This is what I observed about a few years ago.  I don't know if it changed since.  If it did not, teach does not work for ride.
some of my posts are serious stuff