Guild_Assassin defense

Started by Spider, February 08, 2010, 04:45:51 AM

February 08, 2010, 04:45:51 AM Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:50:20 AM by Spider
I was curious to everyone's thoughts on a possible skill/boost to aid guild_assassin's defenses.

I propose a skill_dodge or a boost to % chance to dodge for the guild, and possibly the guild_burglar. This isn't meant to give them the ability to win against guild_warriors of similar or greater ability, but to increase survivability(dodging like 15% more attacks or something). It seems that, especially without a shield, that the class has -no- way of defending themselves. It just seems odd to me that a sneaky type would be carrying around a shield, and something along the lines of footwork and misdirection is more appropriate.

Just a thought. Perhaps I should have posted in the Random Thoughts thread...

Short answer: If your assassin has no defensive ability, you just aren't as badass as you think you are. Even low-agility assassins such as dwarves develop decent defensive capability after enough time and training.

Long answer: An assassin's skillset isn't meant to lend itself to face-to-face fighting. They're the shadowy rogues of Zalanthas, and they get more than enough surprise-attack/stealth offensive capability to balance out any defensive shortcomings they may or may not have. If assassins do have reduced defensive capability--which isn't necessarily true further on in your PC's life--then there's a good chance it's intentional.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on February 08, 2010, 04:54:45 AM
Short answer: If your assassin has no defensive ability, you just aren't as badass as you think you are. Even low-agility assassins such as dwarves develop decent defensive capability after enough time and training.

Long answer: An assassin's skillset isn't meant to lend itself to face-to-face fighting. They're the shadowy rogues of Zalanthas, and they get more than enough surprise-attack/stealth offensive capability to balance out any defensive shortcomings they may or may not have. If assassins do have reduced defensive capability--which isn't necessarily true further on in your PC's life--then there's a good chance it's intentional.

I don't mean that a guild_assassin should get the ability to fight well face-to-face early on, but rather have some extra survivability just in case something goes wrong. My idea was meant to replace the need for a shield to defend. I think my longest lived assassin was around ten-days played. I know this is nothing compared to the power of longer lived PCs. But my experience with that PC was that they would pretty much get hit every round of combat, unless eping a shield.

I see guild_assassins as the dodgy eventually be able to turn aside attacks type over the grab a shield and tough it out types. Sure, they should get hit and hit often for relying solely on weapons, especially early on, but every round seems a bit much to overcome.

Perhaps I am underestimating the power of the hidden defense skill and the agility stat. This is definitely possible/probable.

QuoteGuild Assassin     (Character)

Assassins are expert killers, skilled in dealing swift and deadly blows to their victims. Among the other talents of an assassin, he/she can move without being heard, hide easily in the shadows, and employ a variety of thrown darts and small sharp weapons in order to strike at his/her enemies from a distance.

Highly skilled assassins tend to become more akin to warriors late in their careers. Having mastered the basic skills, an assassin will often begin to learn a mastery of parrying enemy attacks. The excellent use of poisons also becomes available, as does the ability to climb sheer walls. Also late in their careers, assassins can learn how to effectively knock out an opponent from behind with a sharp blow to the head and take them elsewhere for committing their dirty work.

Assassins are often the simplest people to employ, for various warring factions usually have a desire to see their enemies slain quietly and simply, with minimal risk to themselves. For this reason, skilled assassins are almost never without work.

Aside from all of their varied talents, the most important aspect which assassins must strive to develop is their reputation. No other single characteristic of an assassin will be more amenable to finding employment than an excellent reputation for performing jobs cleanly and efficiently, and for protecting the identities of those who hire him/her.

Jobs which require espionage are also well suited to assassins, though they are perhaps not the very best at this task.

The important parts have been bolded. Assassin's aren't meant to be in a one on one fight for very long.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I suspect your character was just plain profoundly awful at dodging. Patience, grasshopper.

You will definitely be able to be more defensive in a head-to-head fight without a shield... eventually.

Besides, tiny shields like a buckler seem very suited to a fast-moving style, if you'll consider that. Even if not, the guild description strongly hints towards branching parry, which seems to be more along what you're thinking of.

Something to be aware of:

Learning to fight with a shield is good.  Shields are helpful, though you'll probably never rock 'em the way warriors do.  However, learning to fight with a shield is not a good way of learning to fight without a shield.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

As to the general question: yes, young assassins and rangers are frustratingly vulnerable.  They get better, and are able to do so many things that warriors can't.  It works how it's supposed to.  You can absolutely fight without getting hit, even with no shield, even before you learn to parry.

Just assume that you start at -10 days compared to a warrior.  At 10 days played, you should be setting starting warriors back on their heels...depending on their stats and yours.

Are you... are you giving away code specifics?

SEIZE HIM.

February 08, 2010, 12:18:41 PM #9 Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:20:14 PM by Spider
I've read the assassin help files countless times, and am aware of the parry branch.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post. I'm wholly convinced that this is an unnecessary idea.

Tek save you all when I get that 30 day played guild_assassin.

P.S. Semotes count as RP, right?  ;)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 08, 2010, 09:32:06 AM
Are you... are you giving away code specifics?

SEIZE HIM.

Morgenes already told everybody that 10 days can't automatically branch from dual shield.

Sounds to me you need to plan your attempts better.  There are many ways to kill, it's the plan an execution that matters.  The deadliest assassin plans every single detail into what they do... even if they screw up.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Sometimes running away and vanishing into the day/night/crowd is your best line of defense.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

You guys just need to accept the fact that you're Foot Clan, not Shredder.

February 08, 2010, 01:46:01 PM #14 Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:49:29 PM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Cavaticus on February 08, 2010, 01:43:45 PM
You guys just need to accept the fact that you're Foot Clan, not Shredder.

I giggled far to much at this comment....

And Shredder is a warrior/assassin dual-guild special application.. Unfair comparison to us!
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on February 08, 2010, 01:46:01 PM
And Shredder is a warrior/assassin dual-guild special application..

My point exactly.

I like assassins just the way they are.

I've had two somewhat recent and very successful ones.

Sorry to all you people that saw this.

Some generic room
This is a place...there is nobody here.

Your vision goes black!

Welcome to Armageddon.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

This isn't a guild_assassin problem, it's a guild_anything-that-doesn't-start-with-parry problem.

If you can't deal with sucking so badly right out of the box, make sure you prioritize agility for any non-warrior (hell, it's not a bad idea even for warriors).  Agility helps TREMENDOUSLY.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

There's already a dodge skill.  It's called 'defense' and everyone has one.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Assassins are fine, like others already said, they aren't supposed to be having to fight it out. Should be quick, carefully planned attack to accomplish your goals and then an escape.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Assassins are fine. Only one class in the game has a better starting 'defense'. No change is necessary.

10 days played for any class is only probably a step above incompetent, and barely scratching the surface of potential.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on February 09, 2010, 06:39:29 PM
10 days played for any mundane class is only probably a step above incompetent, and barely scratching the surface of potential.

Fixed.

10 days played for any class is only probably a step above incompetent, and barely scratching the surface of potential.

(...you say that like it's a good thing.)

Quote from: number13 on February 09, 2010, 07:53:27 PM

(...you say that like it's a good thing.)

Whats wrong with roughly 250+ hours at the keyboard to even get slightly good at anything, man!  :o
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."