Coded Mumbles/Murmurs

Started by Conspiracy Theory, February 06, 2010, 04:11:33 AM

say Latrine duty for you today, Runner.
The tall, muscular Byn Sergeant says, in sirihish:
"Latrine duty for you today, Runner."

listen on
You start trying to listen.

The incredibly handsome dude salutes the tall, muscular Byn Sergeant and turns to go, dragging his feet.

As he's heading into the latrines, the incredibly handsome dude mumbles, in sirihish:
"Fuck Sergeant Amos. Guy's a dick."

(OR, if your listen is not high enough:)

As he's heading into the latrines, the incredibly handsome dude mumbles something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, this is just a whisper to yourself someone else might be able to catch. I've wanted to do this once in awhile, so I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on June 30, 2007, 05:39:36 AM
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)

I would use this all the time.  As it stands now, I usually 'emote mumbles something' and follow it with a think that describes what my character mumbled, but that robs other people of the fun of potentially overhearing it.  ;)
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

There are so many times I would have already used this.
Alea iacta est

Just the ability to target yourself with 'whisper' instead of the stupid 'But your mouth can't reach your ear!' message would be awesome.

whisper me (grumbling softly as #me shuffles away) Stupid, son of a 'tok...

Grumbling softly as he shuffles away, the tall, muscular man whispers to himself.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on February 06, 2010, 05:24:25 AM
Just the ability to target yourself with 'whisper' instead of the stupid 'But your mouth can't reach your ear!' message would be awesome.

Grumbling softly as he shuffles away, the tall, muscular man whispers to himself.

This would be a easier way to code 'mumbles'...

I think?  more then adding a whole know code thing in..
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I really really REALLY wish this was coded into 1.arm.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I can completely see the utility in this.  I would have been using it last night, I tell you.

I've always liked this idea.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

And yet, looking over the Request Tool, I see no Idea submitted.
<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

Quote from: Tzurahro on February 06, 2010, 09:49:51 AM

Check again.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on February 06, 2010, 05:24:25 AM

PLease oh please oh please.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It's fun for everyone! As a leader, I loved going insano-rage when subordinates muttered something under their breath. And it'd be so cool to have a good "slip up" sort of command without being blatant about it (using say).
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Eh, I'd like it if we had a small chance of overhearing the mumble even without listen on. I don't have keen hearing IRL, hell, many people have said I'm half-deaf, yet I still sometimes overhear what people are muttering under their breath about.

Maybe something like this, even?:

You overhear the tall, muscular man mumble, in sirihish, as he's heading into the latrines:
"Fu.k S..g.a.. Am.s. G..'s a dick."

Meh, I've idea'd it at least 5 times over the last 10 years...check back farther.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

DEFINITELY!

Would be useful for praying as well when you actually want to make one up but would not want others to hear.

Quote from: Tzurahro on February 06, 2010, 09:49:51 AM

Are we being called out for being lazy players?

Dig it, but I'd want it to be like hemote as well. Like, there should be a chance that you don't even see me murmur.

Same for whisper. If I lean over and whisperer something to you in class, it's possible the teacher doesn't notice. hwhisper with self target?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I like the idea, and agree with Joe that there should be a chance of mumbling to be completely hidden from those less observant.

"Mumble" and "whisper me" have been suggested a few times.  I'm against adding a separate command.  I prefer the "whisper me" solution.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Conspiracy Theory on February 06, 2010, 04:11:33 AM
say Latrine duty for you today, Runner.
The tall, muscular Byn Sergeant says, in sirihish:
"Latrine duty for you today, Runner."

listen on
You start trying to listen.

The incredibly handsome dude salutes the tall, muscular Byn Sergeant and turns to go, dragging his feet.

As he's heading into the latrines, the incredibly handsome dude mumbles, in sirihish:
"Fuck Sergeant Amos. Guy's a dick."

(OR, if your listen is not high enough:)

As he's heading into the latrines, the incredibly handsome dude mumbles something.

Or another thought, kill off some of the text

"... Sergeant Amos. ... dick."
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

OoOo.. The ability to catch parts of the mumble based off the listen skill instead of just a success/fail..  I like it.

You can already hear whispers if you have high listen, yea?

So:

step 1 - add whisper me

step 2 - make whisper function something like hemote where the act of whispering can be missed. <--- this would actually be rad, especially for RPT events. You could talk (and emote with hemote) in the crowd without spamming the whole screen.

Oh my. Can we have it, pls? with sugar on top?

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on February 09, 2010, 03:39:56 PM
You can already hear whispers if you have high listen, yea?

So:

step 1 - add whisper me

step 2 - make whisper function something like hemote where the act of whispering can be missed. <--- this would actually be rad, especially for RPT events. You could talk (and emote with hemote) in the crowd without spamming the whole screen.

Oh my. Can we have it, pls? with sugar on top?

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: MarshallDFX on February 09, 2010, 03:32:40 PM
OoOo.. The ability to catch parts of the mumble based off the listen skill instead of just a success/fail..  I like it.
make it like act like a sort of other language.
You overhear the skinny, thin man mumble in sirihish:
"skleant Amos lan buck ry dock."

and if was a bad joke. You get the idea.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Language Skills
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sirihish          Cavalish          Professional Mumbler