Your 2000-sid sword shatters in your hands!

Started by Thunderboots, January 28, 2010, 12:13:20 PM

Uhn yeah, this is something I'm curious about, it annoys me greatly when a decent weapon you buy just shatters like the second time you use it. So far when a weapon has shattered for me it seems to have left no remains, which I think is a bit stupid- you'd have thought a big ass greatsword would at least leave a handle, or a few broken shards of bone. I may be completely wrong about this, and you may get things for some stuff. Either way I'd be interested to know if I'm injustly bringing this up, or whether it really may be a problem.

If you have a relatively strong character, you hit hard, and thus your weapon is more likely to break. I know one PC who went through like 10 different weapons before he found a pair that didn't break as easily.(Note: AS easily. After a years use IG, he did still have to buy another one)

Protip: The more expensive the weapon(2 large), the more likely it is to break. They're expensive because they're fancy. Ivory is NOT good for a weapon, no matter how pretty it looks. Go for something not cheap, but a tiny bit pricey.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

;D I wasn't complaining that the weapon's break... obsidian and bone arn't exactly strong. It was more that there was no remains- and no chance of repair; like armour has... and I know it's different, but I'd have thought there would still be something you could get out of a broken weapon, at least the bigger ones.

Who says armor only breaks and doesn't shatter?

Keep that in mind next time your pc has got a slab of obsidian around its neck or on its face...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

> You admire your thick, obsidian mask.

>A thick hefty man lunges out of the shadows toward you.

>A thick hefty man kicks you in the face.

>Your thick, obsidian mask shatters!

>Your head splits in two!

>Mantis head.

Tortall said it all. Basically anything over 300 sid (500 if it's large, like a two hander great-axe) is more for show than for combat.

However, I do like the idea the OP has. Admittedly, I've never played a weapons crafter that did more than chip out a couple simple, low-skill daggers, but I've seen a lot of items along the lines of "an axe handle", "a pommel," "a spear head," "A long pole," etc that would appear to be part of a weapon.

Why, when your spear breaks, do you not get a message along the lines of:

You deftly parry the big dude's chop.
The shaft of your spear splinters and snaps!

inv
An obsidian spearhead
A couple splinters of wood

or

You brutally chop the n00b in his n00b boots.
The blade of your bone-bladed axe cracks in half!

inv
A long wooden shaft
a spinter of bone

Obviously, anyone could care less about the splinters, but you could still salvage the head off of a broken spear, go out and find another long wooden spear shaft, and lash those two things back together! Remake 'ol Sara-Jean who's been with you through 12 contracts, 2 dujat, and 1 war! - If only just for the sentimental value IC.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Seriously, I don't know if I would hit anything hard with anything that cost that much.  For example, as much as my cats upset me at times, I _never_ throw my laptop at them.

Btw, I was using 2000 as an exageration, I really just meant why is nothing left when your weapon breaks.

Quote from: Thunderboots on January 28, 2010, 05:09:58 PM
Btw, I was using 2000 as an exageration, I really just meant why is nothing left when your weapon breaks.

The idea of salvageable items remaining when your weapon shatters has been proposed before. I like the idea in concept, but would rather see useful half-items appear that are still some type of weapon and which can be combined into the whole again by an appropriate crafter. It should be difficult to restore a weapon to its original state but it is reasonable that something could be done by your average crafter. It should also be possible for weapons to shatter into useless, salvage-item bits.

Examples:

You do unspeakable damage to the tall, muscular man's head with your slash.
Your bone longsword shatters!

eq
<worn in places> some things
<primary hand> a half of a bone longsword

look
Room [Directions]
Description
The tall, muscular man is here, fighting you!
A half of a bone longsword lies here.

You stab the tall, muscular man very hard on the head.
The tall, muscular man cries out in pain.
The tall, muscular man crumples to the ground.

get half
e;e;e;e;e;e;s;s;s;s;s;s;e;e;e;e

A few hours later...

sk crafting
Crafting skills
-------------------------------------------------------
babymaking                        swordmaking
analyze

think Well I better fix my sword now.

craft half 2.half
You can make a whole bone longsword from that.

craft half 2.half into whole
You work with the bone.

You fix up the weapon with your crappy effort. (crappy repair, weapon has lower stats)
or
Your masterful work leads to a bone longsword, good as new. (good repair)

Or... make weapons degrade like armor, and repairable as well. It is a complicated idea though, probably suited for 2.arm.

I'm fond of hammer heads, spear heads, arrow heads, and axe blades being salvagable due to handles usually breaking, not the pain-inflicting part.  Also I like the idea of longswords being able to be broken into shortswords or halfswords depending on where the break is.  Many of the obsidian short/halfswords in the game suggest they were once larger weapons.  I don't imagine clubs being very salvagable.  This would be akin to salvaging a splintered baseball bat.  There's not much you can do there.  Nor do I think there is much you can do to salvage very small weapons such as daggers and knives.

Really depends on the weapon.

Sure, a lot of weapons that are expensive are for show. But some rule balls. And do not break; I had a character with exceptional strength that bashed baddies brains in with the same awesome staff for a long while. And the same awesome, really, really expensive ivory greatsword for a long while.

Another way to look at it is -- If it is cheap as dirt -- Maybe it's not made that well.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

QuoteI like the idea in concept, but would rather see useful half-items appear that are still some type of weapon

Ever wonder why they call halfswords halfswords? The name doesn't speak for EVERY weapon, but the mdesc of some (the most common one in particular) reflects very specifically that they were created from a shattered longsword. I like the idea of long broken weapons making short broken weapons.

Quotecraft half 2.half

You work with the bone.

What did he do? Glue it back together? This is bone and stone, not metal. We can't lay a bead across it, then grind and file it down when we're done.

I like the idea of making shorter versions of your old weapon (filing a broken longsword down to a shortsword/halfsword), and I like the idea of having one half of the item in your inventory. (A hammer-head, a spearhead, an axeblade, an axehandle, a pommel). I don't like the idea that we just have the parts to snap the weapon back together. If a character cares so much about repairing a weapon, he should have to file it down and settle with a lesser (or at least shorter) weapon, or seek out the parts neccissary to repair it back to normal.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I don't want to discredit your idea, but given the amount of weapons in the game, this would require many hours of staff labor just for the crafting recipes to stick a weapon back together (unless a crafting recipe already exists).  In addition, items would need to be created for the broken pieces, and coded to drop when a weapon breaks.

I think it's a pretty spiffy idea, but given the effort involved in making it happen and the relatively small amount of players it will affect, I doubt we will see it in Arm 1.  Perhaps in Arm 2?
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on January 28, 2010, 07:20:57 PM
QuoteI like the idea in concept, but would rather see useful half-items appear that are still some type of weapon

Ever wonder why they call halfswords halfswords? The name doesn't speak for EVERY weapon, but the mdesc of some (the most common one in particular) reflects very specifically that they were created from a shattered longsword. I like the idea of long broken weapons making short broken weapons.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of that item when I wrote that.

Quotecraft half 2.half

You work with the bone.

What did he do? Glue it back together? This is bone and stone, not metal. We can't lay a bead across it, then grind and file it down when we're done.

I like the idea of making shorter versions of your old weapon (filing a broken longsword down to a shortsword/halfsword), and I like the idea of having one half of the item in your inventory. (A hammer-head, a spearhead, an axeblade, an axehandle, a pommel). I don't like the idea that we just have the parts to snap the weapon back together. If a character cares so much about repairing a weapon, he should have to file it down and settle with a lesser (or at least shorter) weapon, or seek out the parts neccissary to repair it back to normal.

Glue sounds fine actually, for bone and wood. Obsidian would probably just be broken. Obviously it would be difficult to bring the weapon back to the way it was - that's the point.

Just a side note, for those who hadn't heard:

Obsidian= black -GLASS-

Slam a giant glass blade against a stone hammer and see what happens.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 28, 2010, 05:44:44 PM
I don't imagine clubs being very salvagable.  This would be akin to salvaging a splintered baseball bat.  There's not much you can do there. 

Could be salvagable into a short spear or wooden dagger.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing some code regarding the breaking materials of the weapons. As of right now, it seems when a sword or the like breaks, it ought to give off that 'Kewwww' sound from FF7, turn red and fade into nothingness.

While I am all up for having weapons be salvagable later, if I am in fight with you to the death and you just broke my wooden spear, bone sword, steel katana, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about what I could craft if into later, because I need something now. If I am left with a broken, splintered shaft of a spear, it might not be much, but in a life or death situation and having absolutely nothing else, you can be certain I'd be trying to stab it into your face or throat if you came close enough. ..So don't fuck with me. 

Point being: I think that broken weapons should be formed into weaker weapons, which can be of completely different classes. Broken swords can use the half of the sword as a stabbing weapon, can use just the hilt of a weapon to try to bash someone's skull in, etc. It wouldn't be an advantage, clearly, but it'd be something other than having your sword shatter into a million pieces, somehow leaving you only with your bare hands.

Quote from: Decameron on January 29, 2010, 02:05:51 PM
While I am all up for having weapons be salvagable later, if I am in fight with you to the death and you just broke my wooden spear, bone sword, steel katana, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about what I could craft if into later, because I need something now. If I am left with a broken, splintered shaft of a spear, it might not be much, but in a life or death situation and having absolutely nothing else, you can be certain I'd be trying to stab it into your face or throat if you came close enough. ..So don't fuck with me. 

Agreed. It's a lot of work to go through weapons and tag them for an appropriate transformation but my wooden handled hammer should turn into a splintered wooden crude spear of sorts. And if that breaks then nothing.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

The blade that was broken cut the ring from Sauron's hand.  :o

As of right now, it seems when a sword or the like breaks, it ought to give off that 'Kewwww' sound from FF7, turn red and fade into nothingness.

I can't even begin to tell you how amusing I found this sentence.  High five for the Final Fantasy reference!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on January 30, 2010, 02:49:13 PM
As of right now, it seems when a sword or the like breaks, it ought to give off that 'Kewwww' sound from FF7, turn red and fade into nothingness.

I can't even begin to tell you how amusing I found this sentence.  High five for the Final Fantasy reference!

Seconded.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: racurtne on January 31, 2010, 05:28:42 AM

Seconded.

I was tempted to quote it... But Christians being compared to creepy tribals is just hilarious.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing some code regarding the breaking materials of the weapons. As of right now, it seems when a sword or the like breaks, it ought to give off that 'Kewwww' sound from FF7, turn red and fade into nothingness.

Point being: I think that broken weapons should be formed into weaker weapons, which can be of completely different classes. Broken swords can use the half of the sword as a stabbing weapon, can use just the hilt of a weapon to try to bash someone's skull in, etc. It wouldn't be an advantage, clearly, but it'd be something other than having your sword shatter into a million pieces, somehow leaving you only with your bare hands.

Everything here. I nominate Decameron.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 31, 2010, 10:29:31 AM
Quote from: racurtne on January 31, 2010, 05:28:42 AM

Seconded.

I was tempted to quote it... But Christians being compared to creepy tribals is just hilarious.

Hey, desert tribals from the bronze age were the ones that thought/copied the whole religion up so ...  ::)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The more I think about this the more unrealistic it is to me that there aren't really any expensive -and- quality weapons and armors. Just the idea that expensive and fancy = worthless as far as any actual use and cheap and plain = quality for use seems very unrealistic. There should be weapons and armors of much more varied design and quality. Why shouldn't there be some fancy and expensive weapons that are very good quality for practical purposes?
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D