Your 2000-sid sword shatters in your hands!

Started by Thunderboots, January 28, 2010, 12:13:20 PM

There are, but some are just fancy and expensive to be fancy and expensive.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Having played a Salarri merchant for a very long time, I feel confident in saying that there is some overlap. There are some expensive fancy weapons and armours in game that are worth every last coin, and then there's others that are more for ornamentation. There's a lot of dirt-cheap, PC-craftable armour that's great, and a lot that sucks.

Personally, in my experience, the weapon-shattering seemed to be completely random, save for obvious cases like dwarves/muls/HGs. I recall selling three different scimitars to a certain wimpy one-handed Kadian who proceeded to break ALL of them, even when he claimed he was weak enough that he needed the lightest possible armour.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Each category of weapon has its own characteristics, which should become evident as your character becomes more familiar with its usage.

From help skills weapons.

AHA! You might have discovered 1 chartacteristic. Extra stong PCs perhaps need to stick to extra sturdy weapons.

I've never had a weapon shatter for any of my characters, and I've played my share of combat-heavy roles.  :) There's some great opportunities for badassery if you lose your weapon in any way, though. There are few things more satisfying in Arm than having to desperately scrounge for a shitty weapon, and then continuing to go absolutely apeshit on your foes with it.

Prying a crude bone weapon from the stiff fingers of a stinking gith corpse, the ass-stomping man says, in sirihish:
   "Thanks, this'll do the trick."

>apeshit gith.warband

As to judging a weapon's and armor's worth IG... I'm absolutely terrible at it. I mostly pick my characters' gear for ascetic reasons, and then they proceed to use one set for like their whole lives.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on February 01, 2010, 01:31:08 PM
As to judging a weapon's and armor's worth IG... I'm absolutely terrible at it. I mostly pick my characters' gear for ascetic reasons, and then they proceed to use one set for like their whole lives.

Aesthetic, but I agree with Zol here. Maybe its because the "really good" armor is for PCs with high strength, and I always roll for stupid stats like endurance or agility, but I don't often see very expensive, lighter armor unless it provides other benefits.

I guess its supposed to be that way, though. If Leather Armor was as effective as a silt horror's shell... who'd wear horror shell?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I remember as a newbie in a certain military-minded clan, watching said clan's mul breaking sparring weapons on the training dummy and being absolutely TERRIFIED.

Quote from: Cavaticus on February 01, 2010, 02:51:12 PM
I remember as a newbie in a certain military-minded clan, watching said clan's mul breaking sparring weapons on the training dummy and being absolutely TERRIFIED.

Heh, that's rather funny. A tool of the House breaking a tool of the House on another tool of the House.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I had an assassin with below average strength that broke four or five different training clubs.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

I personally think there is to much thought in weapon shatering and left overs.  just use your imagination, toss the hilt aside and draw a weapon quick.. hint.. always have that back up blade near by...And I agree I think it would be a big undertaking to do all the changes to all weapons to have it change into a small still usable weapon but I do like the idea but I personally dont see it happinging.