Discussion of the new stat policy

Started by Oleupata, January 23, 2010, 11:10:20 PM

January 23, 2010, 11:10:20 PM Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:23:38 PM by Oleupata
This is the thread for discussion and reactions to the new policy on stat bumps, as announced here.

Edited to add:

Or you could hop over to where people beat me to the punch here.

So as it was stated, the only ones looked at will be for HGs unable to pick things up, Rangers that can't use bows, and etc?

Because all my characters that live longer than 3hrs have poor wisdom. How I can be smart?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Cavaticus on January 23, 2010, 11:14:52 PM
Quote from: Riev on January 23, 2010, 11:13:55 PM
How I can be smart?

Prioritize your wisdom.

Oh.

Well.

Stop trying to outsmart me. I rolled low.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 23, 2010, 11:13:55 PM
So as it was stated, the only ones looked at will be for HGs unable to pick things up, Rangers that can't use bows, and etc?

Because all my characters that live longer than 3hrs have poor wisdom. How I can be smart?

Yes, this is correct.

If you'd like to play smart characters, I'd recommend prioritizing wisdom, or praying to Ginka for a good roll. (She likes blood sacrifices, the younger the better.)

Prioritize it first and don't make a 12-year-old. No offense, riev.

I seriously don't see the issue with the new change. Do I think it adds anything to the game? Not really. Do I think it takes away from the game? A little. That said, I can't recall having ever asked for a stat boost, so I'm fairly unaffected by this. I would like to see mansa's undo reroll option, though.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I don't have a problem with the new policy. I've had a very long lived character that was modified through RP and got a strength stat boost. It didn't change the way I played my character, and it didn't make her 'better'. Pretty much the only thing it did was change the strength of bow that she used. She also lived long enough that the age code kicked in, and that didn't really change my rp anymore than it was already changing it due to her getting older. Stats are just really not THAT important to the way you play your character, unless you get some absolutely terrible roll that makes something unplayable, and the staff said they'd consider adjusting that. So, my opinion, this doesn't really change things. We're still an RPI mud, and thats what we should keep focusing on.

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

This wouldn't be a big deal if people could see their stats relative to their age, like I proposed last March.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34874.0.html

That way, if you roll extremely good for a youngster, you'll see "extremely good," and know that, even though you can't pull that giant-hair-string bow today, you'll be at risk for breaking it 10 years down the road.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

This change reduces the incentive to lobby and will improve overall efficiency/be beneficial, though it may not seem that way to one given individual.

First, you and the game are assuming that a PC is at peak potential with whatever they roll? I'm sorry, that is just silly. And only serves to make things more static.

Still, whatever. If that is the case then what I am asking should be something you all should agree to.

First, the aging code is wonky as hell if you are playing something other then human. I once had a dwarf who had his stats go DOWN after hitting peak age for stats, why, because he was age 50, which on a human would have made his stats go down. Not to mention that stat changes happen too often for the longer lived races.

Second, like I said, even if the code/staff assume you rolled peak for the age  blah blah, that still does not account for lifestyle/RP. As it stand, 2 humans roll the exact same age and stats, guild and all. #1 becomes a bard and spends the next 10 years singing in bars and drinking. #2 spends the next 10 years digging clay, mining sid and fighting for a living, all the while walking because he was afraid of heights and unwilling to ride. When the age comes for a stat change they will Both get the exact same changes. If that means they get stronger, they both will, even though the bard should be getting weaker and if it made them get weaker, they both will and at the same amount.

This is unrealistic.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Stat boosts are a symptom of a larger issue. People not feeling their concept aligns with their stats. I think if you had someway to influence your stats beyond "ordering" you'll see this issue go away quickly. Instead of ordering, allocate ten points toward stats for everyone. These ten points are then weighed by race and after a low roll are added to the stats. Your one reroll doesn't impact the allocation. These points are essentially saying "this character is agile and somewhat strong" or "this character is smart and somewhat sturdy.

Just my suggestion.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I disagree, the issue is that everyone wants their stats to be "the best."

Guess what, someone will be stronger, smarter, faster, or more fit than you, regardless of how much you work out.

Suiciding is for sissys, play your stats and give your character a chance. prioritization has made nearly all concepts playable, and if you require all of your stats to be Exceptionals then you had better drop in a special app and take chance out of the equation.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

I do want my stats to be the best.

Sometimes the best is decent strength and poor agility.
Sometimes the best is decent strength and endurance.

Do not strawman me. I will burn them down.

I am also a sissy as I will freely suicide a character I do not care about that doesn't fit what I want to do.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Don't say "everyone" Everyone does not want stats to be the best.

I myself have a very broad range of what I like on any given concept.  And though I've never asked for a raise...well, other then a HG mage that could not cast anything. I do want the possibility of my stats to reflect my RP over a length of time. Hell...on reflection, I don't agree with the change from any standpoint. Any PC should be able to work hard over a length of time to get any stat at least to average or slightly above.

I think the stat bump policy should not be, "No stat bumps" But should instead have clearly stated rules. IE, If the stat is at average or better to start, no raises, and no stat will be raised past above ave unless said stat does make something impossible.
As mentioned, ranger who cannot use any bow or mage that cannot cast a spell.
I'd not even mind if the PC had to have a certain time played etc. So you don't get the ones that start, RP some logs and at 1.5 days played and 1 RL week are asking for a stat raise then of course die a hour later.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

January 24, 2010, 12:23:49 AM #14 Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:29:21 AM by Durant
Everyone was a poor choice of word, replace it with "Some"

As to changing unplayable stats, I believe staff said they would fix them still, so what's the problem?

Nothing is stopping you from continuing to work out.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

Just for clarification, does this also mean special applications for stat boosts will also be denied?

THIS IS A FUCKING OUTRAGE.

I can't believe that I've never asked for a stat boost and now I can't. Fuck.

In several years of playing, I've never had a character that wasn't able to function due to some ridiculous stats. I've had maybe... five characters total during that time that had some sort of "poor" attribute. I didn't RP getting ripped because I never gave a fuck. Maybe two of those times I got it in my head to suicide because, holy shit, I had poor endurance.. and trying to get myself killed was actually way more fun than the following ten characters combined.

I have "poor" strength. I can't damage scrabs. I can't wield two-handed swords. I can't pick up heavy bags. I can't do a variety of other things that essentially don't even matter. What's the problem with playing a wimp? A klutz? I understand the allure of creating warriors that are ultra-jacked and punch through glass astronaut helmets, but... if there's an issue with that dude rolling poor strength, it's possible that you could just stop adding lines like, "you notice that he has six-pack thighs and six-pack triceps and a delicious booty".

There's a lot of fuck-ups in Armageddon, and those fuck-ups make the game infinitely more interesting than Captain Insano Abs who pumps his volcano-forged iron barbells and fist-fucks mekillots with his chiseled physique.

And I think the point being made by the staff is that, if you really want strength to be that big of a matter to your character, you can prioritize strength over the other stats. I've found it very very rare (more like never when the age was reasonable) to have poor strength, or even close, when you have strength as the first priority.

I'm just curious as to what brought the change around?
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Khorm on January 24, 2010, 12:54:51 AM
I understand the allure of creating warriors that are ultra-jacked and punch through glass astronaut helmets, but... if there's an issue with that dude rolling poor strength, it's possible that you could just stop adding lines like, "you notice that he has six-pack thighs and six-pack triceps and a delicious booty".

There's a lot of fuck-ups in Armageddon, and those fuck-ups make the game infinitely more interesting than Captain Insano Abs who pumps his volcano-forged iron barbells and fist-fucks mekillots with his chiseled physique.

That was a pretty amazing couple of paragraphs.  Thank you for the laugh.  ;D

I agree with the point you are trying to make, though.  Unfortunately, not everyone sees it this way.  Personally, I find it best to remember that the staff have probably thought this out for hours upon hours, and have a rational reason for instating this change that may not be immediately apparent to us players.  Then again, everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinions on the matter, and perhaps some suggestions might be pushed through into code, if warranted.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Per your requests, 'reroll undo' will be live next reboot:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,37698.msg507198.html#new
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 24, 2010, 01:49:56 AM

Awesome.  Thank you, Morgenes!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

Wow. I honestly never thought this would happen.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 24, 2010, 02:04:57 AM
Wow. I honestly never thought this would happen.

Christmas came early this year, it seems.

Excellent. I think this system is even better than requesting stat boosts. You get a free chance to reroll and decide what to do.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.