Re: Stat Boosts.

Started by Ampere, January 23, 2010, 09:12:04 PM

January 23, 2010, 09:12:04 PM Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:17:17 PM by Ampere
Quote from: nessWe're doing away with player requested stat boosts.

With the option of selecting your stat order, the ability to reroll once, and the stat-affecting age code now in place, allowing stat boosts is no longer as vital or necessary as it once was.  We'll still consider requests for stat changes that impact playability (rangers who cannot use bows, for example).

Any requests to bump for other reasons will be rejected.

This discourages roleplaying. When motivated people are weak, they exercise, and become stronger.

EDIT: Omitted a bit a smart assery.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I have never personally used this based on the fact I tend to do short to mid days played characters <15 days.

However, I liked the fact that I COULD sometime in the future if I find a role I don't go bat shit crazy bored in, improve upon my characters stats through creative roleplay, it also opened up a new avenue towards solo rp which would actually reap some type of reward instead of making it what I like to call, "A Masturbatorial Exercise" which is what most solo rp really boils down to, because unless a staff member is watching, you are really just going through the motions.

As I said, I've never used this type of request before, but I feel that for people who put the work in, do the time (however long rl devoted towards it) should be rewarded, the same way if someone works out on P90X for 90 days and follows the plan, they will get larger and stronger and build their stamina.

So for those players, I am saddened and it appears that you must just rely on coded elements of the game to govern your character where before you had a more active role in these things.

I can understand on the staff side there is probably some debate, "Nessalin, why did you boost Amo's strength twelve points because he sent you a log of working out for four weeks." "Cause I thought it merited it." "Nessalin you're a push over..." etc.

Or simply the fact that they get tons of requests as is and don't want to put in the research needed to make sure the logs are valid, and not just someone typing up a text file to doctor a log.

I personally think eliminated the un-coded ways of advancement in any field of the game is a bad thing, but it really doesn't matter what we think, we aren't in control of that stuff, only the producers and administrators are...

January 23, 2010, 09:37:59 PM #2 Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:40:00 PM by mansa
In my opinion,

A reroll undo would be a small step to help this.

That's all I got, on this subject.

*shrug*

/I've never "successfully" got a stat changed using this tool
//I've had characters go from Poor strength to Average strength over time, using the time the age code
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Having never requested a stat boost, I will be largely unaffected by this, but I can see why some people might feel reluctant about this change.  I think the greater benefit of less staff overhead on other requests is worth the trade-off, but I also like Mansa's idea of a 'reroll undo'.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I get the feeling many people get stat boosts by suiciding their shitty characters, anyway.

Much faster than "roleplaying."

Just sayin'.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

:'( :'( :'(

I was about to App!!!!

Oh well, i think this will take a huge aspect of the game away from those who dont 'just suicide thier shitty characters anyway'

I think those who worked towards stat changes in the past, and would do so again in the future, are now cheated of that chance for solo, or group RP.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

This is an interesting decision.

Stats are ridiculous to begin with. But this decision is about as bad.

What? I can start with three exceptional stats by virtue of character generation and kill a scrab with my three minute character.

But no, don't want us to raise our character's stats through roleplay. Especially not the one that can't even fight a tregil out of the box.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I agree with the change and the reasoning behind it.

Truly unplayable stats (as in code will not work) not fixable IG without imms were much rarer than people make it out to be, IMHO.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I do not like this decision. I have used it twice in the past. Once because my elf was too weak to use most bows and too strong to use the rest.
The other was because it ruined my character concept.

This decision will increase my number of characters that suicide over bad stats because now there is no hope.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Not every specific instance has been determined staff-side, yet, but I believe the general thrust is that every character is to be assumed to already be working their hardest to be at the peak of their potential.  The same for age-related changes.  These changes are meant to reflect the peak possible ability of a PC at their particular age with their own inherent potential.

For cases like a half-giant who can't hold two apples at the same time, or other rare comparable situations, then either the racial minimum stats will be adjusted or other obstacle in the gameworld will be re-evaluated.

It will remove the inherent subjectivity and overhead of staff modifications, which some players seek out with regularity and many others have never received.
<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

January 23, 2010, 10:32:47 PM #11 Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:36:06 PM by Krath
I like Nessalin.

However I am against this decision. Why cant I lift stones or do speed drills
icly for a long period of time and get stronger???

Edited to add:

And what about this?
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,37702.0.html
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I could see the reasoning behind this decision. We have a lot of sway over what our PC's stats will be. Two stat choices (or a reroll undo, whatever) would be nifty, but it's pretty unlikely you'll get stats that aren't suitable. You could still RP "stat training", but you'll just have to depend on the slow growth of stat over time rather than a sudden jump.

Can somebody point me in the direction of information on how the aging code works?  I want some more specifics here.

QuoteWhy cant I lift stones or do speed drills

If the assumption that you are at your full potential for the state your body is in, which changes with age, and that is what your stats represent, then working out is not going to improve you.  You don't improve beyond your full potential...your full potential is as good as you can get.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on January 23, 2010, 10:56:58 PM
QuoteWhy cant I lift stones or do speed drills

If the assumption that you are at your full potential for the state your body is in, which changes with age, and that is what your stats represent, then working out is not going to improve you.  You don't improve beyond your full potential...your full potential is as good as you can get.

Twilight, FULL potential, is AI. Not average or below average or exceptional. If you are talking about potential the -sky- is the limit. And saying working out isnt going to improve you is flat out wrong, this coming from someone who -is- a certified personal trainer and dietitian.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on January 23, 2010, 10:50:48 PM
Can somebody point me in the direction of information on how the aging code works?  I want some more specifics here.

Announcement of Stats Changing as you get older:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,31960.0.html

Discussion about the change.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,31961.0.html
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I can only explain my dissatisfaction with poetry as I fear the players are losing their voice in just about every decision that is made.

I do not like this, Delstro I are.
I would like to hit it with a car.
I do not like this in my house.
I would not do this to a mouse-y.
I do not like this here or there.
I do not like this anywhere.

I would like to hit it with a box.
I would like to hit it with a fox.
I would bury it under a house.
I would like to bite it with a mouse.
I do not like this here or there.
I do not like this anywhere.
I do not like this decision.
I do not like this, Delstro's crying.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

January 23, 2010, 11:21:34 PM #18 Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:26:24 PM by Krath
Quote from: Delstro on January 23, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
I can only explain my dissatisfaction with poetry as I fear the players are losing their voice in just about every decision that is made.

TRUTH! We have -no- opinion anymore. I remember when the Old Immortals would ask us
what we thought before doing something like this. There have been several significant
changes which no opinions of the players were asked. Why is this? Isnt it the playerbase
you are trying to appease? What is a mud without players?

I'm not seeing any problem. But then, the only thing I ever really have trouble with is sucky stun points. It's all about the stun points.

As for full potential being AI, I disagree. Not everyone is -capable- of being that strong. Some people just plain don't have the natural born musculature. Some people lack the stamina required to train for the duration needed to get that strong. Some people lack the patience. Some people lack the resources. Some people lack the steriods. Some people have the steroids, but then get kicked out of the league, lose their sponsorships, and end up on skid row, drunken, WEAK-ass beggars. They have then, at that point, demonstrated their full potential.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

People are not made equal in Arm...and the stats are not supposed to be fair.  I like the unfairness of it.  I've never had an AI stat before, but I've been overjoyed to have one or two Exceptionals, since it meant that I was in the upper percentile of that stat type.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: Intrepid on January 24, 2010, 12:44:53 AM
People are not made equal in Arm...and the stats are not supposed to be fair.  I like the unfairness of it.  I've never had an AI stat before, but I've been overjoyed to have one or two Exceptionals, since it meant that I was in the upper percentile of that stat type.

AI is AI for a reason. Same with poor...although I find it's far easier to have stats in the lower range than upper...

I will put in my vote with the 'stat undo' group though. I think that would help lessen the concerns of the players who care about these things.

Never requested one, ever.

I didn't think people used it that much.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on January 24, 2010, 12:52:18 AMNever requested one, ever.

Same here. I never really liked the policy of allowing them to be improved this way, in fact. So I'm happy with the change.

QuoteI didn't think people used it that much.

It would be interesting to know this. I suspect, as with special aps, that a relatively small number of players accounted for most of the requests.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Bogre on January 24, 2010, 12:52:18 AM
Never requested one, ever.

I didn't think people used it that much.
This was the reason they changed it.  Because it was the same people all the time.

Just like with special apps, it was the same people everytime (myself included) who would throw in a special app soon as the timer wore off.

Do I think it's really right to say, "We will never do this again." no, but do I think it should only be done after GREAT amounts of time and GREAT amounts of roleplay, yes.

What I mean by GREAT amounts is that this shouldn't have been happening if you're under 20 days played with a HIGH concentration on training whatever.