Padded Training Arrows

Started by drunkendwarf, January 01, 2010, 12:13:28 PM

...the idea ever come up? Anyone that's ever been in the SCA or anything similar knows exactly what I'm talking about...
Nuthin' like pluggin' yer buddy in the side with a padded arrow.

making padded targets would be cheaper and more practical I think, didn't there used to be archery targets in some tuluki compound back in the day?

I'm still of the mind that archery targets should be more commonplace.

Slight derail: An archery game similar to Giants Fist would be the shiz too.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on January 01, 2010, 01:55:47 PM

I a so apping a breed ranger that goes by... The Hooded Vestric.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Agree 100%.  Not being able to practice or afford arrows is a reaaally frustrating way of "balancing" archery.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Padded arrows would still hurt like a mutha-effer.

The word you're looking for is Target.

And the location? Your clan boards.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 01, 2010, 03:35:51 PM

Agree 100%.  Not being able to practice or afford arrows is a reaaally frustrating way of "balancing" archery.

Real Zalanthans practice on half-giant guards, and fashion arrows from their bones.

I imagine padded arrows wouldn't fly quite as well as regular arrows, but I could be wrong, since I haven't tried making and shooting one yet; arrows generally rely on having a narrow (though not always pointed) tip that is slightly heavier than the arrow shaft, and adding enough padding to sufficiently cushion a solid shot would create a decent amount of drag.  I always thought that special "concussion" arrows that do minimal damage but knock down stun, or even explosive flash powder arrows, would be cool, though!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

making padded targets would be cheaper and more practical I think, didn't there used to be archery targets in some tuluki compound back in the day?

Certain clans do have archery ranges in game.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Well, I may have been the one to kill archery targets.  We used to have one in the Byn but I shot one day and it chased me down and beat me until Tlaloc saved me with only seconds left of my character's life.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on January 01, 2010, 06:29:52 PM
Well, I may have been the one to kill archery targets.  We used to have one in the Byn but I shot one day and it chased me down and beat me until Tlaloc saved me with only seconds left of my character's life.

That's ... really funny  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Training arrows? For the purpose of what? So that the arrow doesn't break? Or so that you can shoot at others?

I wouldn't want arrows not breaking because a little padding is at the tip. It is still made up of thin wood or brittle bone.

I would really dislike shooting others with 'training' arrows. Padded or not, that still _should_ be painful and isn't it a bit [added after a second thought]too much[/added after a second thought] unrealistic?

Shooting at your friends? Why would it be so different to shoot your friend Malik with a padded arrow than to sap him with a training club? The only difference is you deal less damage, but it's still an attempt at your friend.

Let's see... The padding would add to the mass, so it would slow down the arrow and stop it from 'cutting' the air to travel fast. So we would have a loud, clumsy, useless arrow. Let's assume it's a masterwork padding and it doesn't slow down the arrow to the point of making it useless; then even with the lightweight weight of the arrow, we have a weapon that could easily crack a rib, even if we assume the speeds mentioned in the webpage halved for lesser technology.

I dislike this area for the realism really fading, so that we can train archery with ease. Instead I offer my two cents for increased amount of archery targets, even a way to 'craft' them; so we can train archery with ease and realistically.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Archery is a monstrous skill. Give the right bow and arrows into the hands of a trained archer and you have death from above. Just like backstab, I don't think Archery should be some skill to train with "padded" weapons. If you want to get better at shooting something with a bow and arrows, go out into the wilderness (If your able) and shoot the shit out of something until you get good at it. If your in a militia role or are otherwise unable to leave the city to practice said skills, that's just an IC sacrifice you make.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

January 02, 2010, 08:09:19 PM #11 Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:11:14 PM by Reverend Green
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 02, 2010, 07:24:00 PM
Archery is a monstrous skill. Give the right bow and arrows into the hands of a trained archer and you have death from above. Just like backstab, I don't think Archery should be some skill to train with "padded" weapons. If you want to get better at shooting something with a bow and arrows, go out into the wilderness (If your able) and shoot the shit out of something until you get good at it. If your in a militia role or are otherwise unable to leave the city to practice said skills, that's just an IC sacrifice you make.

Because balancing powerful skills by making them retardedly difficult to train is a great idea, and makes PERFECT IC SENSE.

Moar archery targets for 2010, thanks--especially for military clans where well-trained archers would be considered a valuable resource, and anyone with any aptitude should be encouraged to practice. IC sacrifice you make? Are you fucking kidding me?

Also, learn to your/you're.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

You can always work on getting an archery range IC... pester your leaders for it... they want you to be able to not waste the arrows they pay for just as much as you do.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 02, 2010, 08:09:19 PM

Because balancing powerful skills by making them retardedly difficult to train is a great idea, and makes PERFECT IC SENSE.

Yes :)

I, for one, am not a fan of sparring and dummies being setup. It creates a lot of repetitive play for clanned players. I think a lot of times players will endure it more than enjoy it just because they have to.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

January 02, 2010, 10:55:03 PM #14 Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:58:59 PM by Gunnerblaster

Moar archery targets for 2010, thanks--especially for military clans where well-trained archers would be considered a valuable resource, and anyone with any aptitude should be encouraged to practice. IC sacrifice you make? Are you fucking kidding me?

Well, archery isn't "retardedly" difficult to train unless the player is an idiot. I don't think people should be allowed to spam shooting arrows at eachother for fun and games to train up their 'l33t' skills.

If you don't have anything worth saying, I suggest you [-edited to not encourage-] not insult others with comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

January 03, 2010, 04:21:51 AM #15 Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:28:12 AM by Reverend Green
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 02, 2010, 10:55:03 PM

Well, archery isn't "retardedly" difficult to train unless the player is an idiot. I don't think people should be allowed to spam shooting arrows at eachother for fun and games to train up their 'l33t' skills.

If you don't have anything worth saying, I suggest you [-edited to not encourage-] not insult others with comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Yeah, padded arrows are certainly stupid. Archery targets, however, are not. It's not retardedly difficult to train archery, sure... if you can ICly leave the city on a regular basis. If you can't, you have to either find an archery range (haven't all of these been removed?), shoot street NPCs at night, or break IC restrictions.

My point is that it's in the best interests of clans to have proficient archers, and as such, a means for training archery should be provided.

Also, training archery is pretty fucking difficult (well, more expensive than difficult) as is, without some OOC restriction on items that should realistically exist IG.

edit: also, psssssh work on it IC. I'm an Arm player, I'd rather bitch on the GDB.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

As soon as I become a master woodcrafter with a merchant of mine, I'll app for "plank+plank+long wooden pole+long wooden pole=a crude archery target". Then I'll be rich and buy two wagons and a silver nail clipper.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Different idea, but are blunt arrows implemented? Same concept, but not really.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I think we're slightly derailing from the OP's idea suggestion.

Padded Training Arrows:
I say, No.

As far as learning how to train up archery - This is something that can be worked out IC. Recruits in any militia shouldn't complain about maxxxing out their archery skill since they should just be concerned with learning the basics. Once they become actual soldiers of the militia, I'm pretty sure something can be worked out with superiors for them to go out, gather wood, make arrows, and shoot at sparring dummies. Waste of arrows? Yes. Waste of 'sid (if any is spent)? Yes. To the extent of my knowledge, even though most city-states have city-bound soldiers, there are usually "patrols" done on both sides to give the soldiers some outside experience. If these are frequent enough, it can be used as an IC reason to shoot arrows at scrab/beetle/kylori/gortok for practice.

I agree with this, minus the snarky sarcasm.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 03, 2010, 04:21:51 AM
Yeah, padded arrows are certainly stupid. Archery targets, however, are not. It's not retardedly difficult to train archery, sure... if you can ICly leave the city on a regular basis. If you can't, you have to either find an archery range (haven't all of these been removed?), shoot street NPCs at night, or break IC restrictions.

I think that archery targets are entirely reasonable from an IC standpoint, but I feel like there's an option missing from your list: don't train archery at all.  If your character isn't using a skill on a regular basis, then why would they, ICly, spent hours upon hours to train it?  Because it might come in handy later?  I guess that logic works for some PCs, but I imagine there are also quite a few that would probably divert their focus into training that is more immediately applicable to their line of work.

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 03, 2010, 04:21:51 AM
My point is that it's in the best interests of clans to have proficient archers, and as such, a means for training archery should be provided.

That sounds pretty logical to me.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

January 03, 2010, 10:28:41 PM #20 Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:31:21 PM by Morrolan
I'm not a bad RL archer.  I managed to hit a guy running through a crowd with a padded arrow and a 20 lb bow at a range of maybe 30 feet.

Padded arrows, however, seem decidedly unZalanthan.

I'd like to see more training for archers.  I'd also like to see archers as a separate class from Warriors and Rangers.  I think this is something we will be able to do in Arm II.  I really, really hope so, anyway.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Yes, otherwise you would have folks who could play with a bow and arrow in no time and kill your 100 day ranger.  And trust me, even with the current system, I've had 6 or so day old rangers that could damn near kill ELITE warriors.  Some things are superpowerful on purpose and they make it hard to make sure not everyone has that super powerful end game weapon at the drop of a dime.
Don't be a dick cause you don't agree with someone.

January 04, 2010, 01:38:22 AM #22 Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:13:31 AM by Reverend Green
Quote from: Cerelum on January 04, 2010, 12:17:58 AM

I'm not a dick, sweetcheeks, I'm just pedantic.

Well, I also happen to be a dick, but that was pure pedantry up there. Seeing improper use of your/you're seriously pisses me off, I can't help it.

People just love creating alternate GDB accounts to be mean.

January 04, 2010, 02:49:25 AM #24 Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:57:44 AM by Ampere
Quote from: Reverend Green on January 04, 2010, 01:38:22 AM
Quote from: Cerelum on January 04, 2010, 12:17:58 AM

I'm not a dick, sweetcheeks, I'm just pedantic.

Well, I also happen to be a dick, but that was pure pedantry up there. Seeing improper use of your/you're seriously pisses me off, I can't help it.

Theirs just no reason to be a dick, even if your drunk.

EDIT: toned down.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)