Padded Training Arrows

Started by drunkendwarf, January 01, 2010, 12:13:28 PM

l w
To the west is THE FUTURE!
[Near]
The rampaging Shalooonsh is here, wielding a massive, penis-shaped moderation hammer.
Nyr the Threadlocker stands here, carrying a rusty padlock.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Very Far]
Nothing
There's a lot of shit you don't know about me, Mom.

Quote from: Harmonic on January 04, 2010, 02:56:50 AM
l w
To the west is THE FUTURE!
[Near]
The rampaging Shalooonsh is here, wielding a massive, penis-shaped moderation hammer.
Nyr the Threadlocker stands here, carrying a rusty padlock.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Very Far]
Nothing

flee self
PANIC! You can't escape.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

Ghost ... lock 'er up!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Padded training arrows are the first step down the slippery slope to Zalanthan laser tag.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on January 04, 2010, 04:05:45 AM
Padded training arrows are the first step down the slippery slope to Zalanthan laser tag.

You know, originally I was against said arrows... I'm not really sure anymore.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 04, 2010, 04:12:55 AM

Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I was all against padded training arrows at first, but if it leads to Zalanthan laser tag, we can't have em soon enough.

We already play Zalanthan laser tag. We just use the throw command.

And poop.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

My thoughts are this:

Padded arrows would not succeed in the goal of training.  The padded arrows in the SCA do not fly as true or far as a real arrow, they go about a tenth of the distance and would not serve as a means of practicing form with a bow and arrow.

I once shot a kid in the nuts with one of those padded arrows.

My final thoughts: padded arrows are an awkward analogue of the more deadly variety. They're only used in military reenactment.  There is plenty of straight up war on zalanthas, making reenactment a smidge redundant.  That, and light fighters are super lame, seriously.  Why would you join the sca if not to beat the living crap out of someone in full armour?
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

tone it down or i am locking it

Quote from: Cavaticus on January 05, 2010, 01:36:59 PM
I once shot a kid in the nuts with one of those padded arrows.

did he cry?

how did you practice it enough to hit the kid in the nuts?
some of my posts are serious stuff

He did cry, yeah. It was awesome.

And I didn't practice. I suppose it was just beginner's luck.

Quote from: Reverend Green on January 04, 2010, 04:12:55 AM

But your (note the purposeful lack of 're, hope you're (omg im nesting them!!!) dicks not hard) still a douche.

That aside (I know I feel better), why can't we just shoot arrows at sparring dummies? Did I miss that? If it's because a script is broken (I too have witness a sparring dummy magically come to life and beat the shit out of people) can we just fix it?

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com