Distinguishing Your Mount

Started by Voular, December 08, 2009, 08:53:57 AM

Hello,
I had an idea.. since we already can name our mounts and it sort of sticks and we've had awesome code leaps with tdesc and so on I thought I'd make a suggestion. As it is now, mounts have fixed sdesc but can be titled. In a room however of 10 war beetles you can't tell which war beetle is yours except going "keyword TITLENAME" or trying to distinguish it with something packed on. What my suggestion is that you can same as "title" give your war beetle a customized sdesc. How far we take this is all up to the staffers. Perhaps it can be that a storebought war beetle is simply "a war beetle" then you can "stitle" it to "a dung-covered war beetle". This could be used for any animal, sunbacks and inixes and so on. I would say that this shouldn't be permanent, same as title - but for everyone who uses big clan stables this would really help in the whole everyone losing/borrowing your mount issue.

So instead of:

A war beetle is reclining here.
A yellow sunback lizard is reclining here.

We can see:

A battered war beetle is reclining here.
A three-legged war beetle is reclining here.
A beady-eyed war beetle is reclining here.
A spotted war beetle is reclining here.
A single-eyed war beetle is reclining here.
A fanged yellow sunback lizard is reclining here.

Or something similar?
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I love this idea.

Please Morgenes please!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I endorse the shit out of this.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I like this idea a lot, even if it's just something like getting to add one word.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

OMG yes. <3
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Hell yes.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

As long as 'beetle' or 'mount type name' remains in the sdesc, I see very little difference between this and a customizable ldesc.

Though, -this- is cooler than a one-shot ldesc, as it would stick from room to room during the current playtime the player has.

Obviously, it would reset after the mount is stabled.

Thumbs up!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Two thumbs up. God damn it, being in a room with a dozen identical war beetles after a chaotic battle drives me nuts.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on December 08, 2009, 12:05:48 PM
Two thumbs up. God damn it, being in a room with a dozen identical war beetles after a chaotic battle drives me nuts.

Yea agreed. Love the idea - that said as an interim measure you can use title. Once you mount do: title Betty or title Rex and then you can use that keyword to target your mount. STitle would be WAY cooler though.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on December 08, 2009, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: Zoltan on December 08, 2009, 12:05:48 PM

Yea agreed. Love the idea - that said as an interim measure you can use title. Once you mount do: title Betty or title Rex and then you can use that keyword to target your mount. STitle would be WAY cooler though.

Oh, I -always- use title. The problem is when some people don't. It only takes a few to throw things off. And then there's always the problem when someone hitches the wrong mount accidentally and you take five minutes trying to figure out who has what. It'd be nice to just go :points at ~dung-covered.beetle.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

You know, this is pretty sweet.  I know we can add tags (like dusty, or smelly) to object sdecs, so it might even be possible.  Maybe.  Has anyone used the Request Tool to submit this?  Or the "idea" command IG?
<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

Nope. I presented the idea here, for input. I'll send it in through the request tool right now!
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

There is a small abuse potential.

*steal mount*
*change mount's sdesc*

What?  No- see?  Looks nothing like yours.

Should it be permanent perhaps?  Or have some timer before it can be changed again?  Or something?  Typo-ing would suck, but still.

Perhaps purchased mounts could simply have randomized sdescs instead. Give each mount 20 possible sdescs, perhaps with a little difference in rarity between them so some are "cooler" than others, and you get what you get by chance when you purchase the mount.

And/or add in the possibility of getting the mount tattooed or branded to make it unique-er.

I dunno. Mounts are one of those things in game I have little interest in, but I understand the annoying problem of having 10 identical-looking war beetles in the same room.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on December 08, 2009, 03:03:18 PM
Mounts are one of those things in game I have little interest in

:o

:o
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Mounts are one of those things in game I have little interest in.

Filthy necker.

December 08, 2009, 03:17:13 PM #19 Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:22:59 PM by Gimfalisette
Sorry, guys, I don't have much interest in a lot of the typical "ranger" archetype stuff, and I suspect I never will :/ A personal failing, yes.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on December 08, 2009, 03:17:13 PM
Sorry, guys, I don't have much interest in a lot of the typical "ranger" archetype stuff, and I suspect I never will :/ A personal failing, yes.

what a loser.

Mounts are totally awesome!

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: MarshallDFX on December 08, 2009, 02:57:10 PMOr have some timer before it can be changed again?  Or something?  Typo-ing would suck, but still.

How about you can only do it when you unstable/summon your mount (or, if a ranger, when you log in with it)? ie, only when the instance of your mount is loaded in-game.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on December 08, 2009, 02:57:10 PM
There is a small abuse potential.

*steal mount*
*change mount's sdesc*

What?  No- see?  Looks nothing like yours.

Should it be permanent perhaps?  Or have some timer before it can be changed again?  Or something?  Typo-ing would suck, but still.

Abuse would be abuse, same as with tdesc.

However. To fix it, you can have it so you're only able to have the sdesc changed on the default sdesc, and once changed, can't change it until stabled.

Perhaps purchased mounts could simply have randomized sdescs instead. Give each mount 20 possible sdescs, perhaps with a little difference in rarity between them so some are "cooler" than others, and you get what you get by chance when you purchase the mount.

And/or add in the possibility of getting the mount tattooed or branded to make it unique-er.

I dunno. Mounts are one of those things in game I have little interest in, but I understand the annoying problem of having 10 identical-looking war beetles in the same room.

Personally I like this, except maybe do a total of 60 words, in pairings or triplicate, just so that you don't have 3 smelly beetles, but rather large smelly beetle, dung-covered smelly beetle, and green smelly beetle
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I would like to see the core concept extended to objects, too.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one