Guide to Burglars!

Started by Manhattan, December 02, 2009, 02:29:54 PM

December 02, 2009, 02:29:54 PM Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:20:25 PM by Manhattan
I just finished looking over 24 pages of search results on the forum with the word 'burglar', nothing satisfying. The Thief's Bible is not enough. I think burglars are an incredibly intriguing concept in theory (though I've never successfully ran one).

Some of my own thoughts are that burglars are cowards that avoid all confrontation, or kleptomaniacs, or people who get a sexual rush from breaking into somebody's private life. Guild_Burglars don't always have to have sid as motivation. Imagine playing a burglar who enjoys breaking into this woman's house just to sniff her panties. Or a thrasher punk who enjoys breaking your shit and ruining your life.

What are your tips on playing a burglar?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Sneak in and take a poop in all the boots.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Sneak in and arrange things or leave things (like black roses and shit) as 'death marks'.
Watch how crazy and paranoid the people get.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Steal little things. The vNPCs in the apartment and the apartment guard will remember that guy that was dragging the table out and asking around about table buyers. Also, people are less likely to make a fuss if they don't notice what's gone from their apartment.

'pick door relock'. Don't let opportunists steal from your mark just because you wanted to leave the door open, and don't let the apartment tenant get suspicious - lock the door behind you.

Have a motive.

Leaving things out is cool if you want to become well-known and/or feared.

Make sure to appease the proper authority figures appropriately.

I've always thought a burglar/linguist or /hunter could make a pretty good archaeologist or explorer. Nothing says you have to rob apartments.

Quote from: Clearsighted on December 02, 2009, 02:46:20 PM
I've always thought a burglar/linguist or /hunter could make a pretty good archaeologist or explorer. Nothing says you have to rob apartments.

Yes. Nothing worse for rangers than a locked door in the middle of the ruins.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

One of the most memorable adventures I had was when people asked my stealthy character to bust through a locked door in an area out in the middle of nowhere. It was like Lara Croft meets Dune.

On topic; lock the doors behind you, take the sellable and valuable shit that's worth carrying. Leave the rest.

Think of it like farming. You don't rip out the roots if you want something to eat later.

Quote from: Cutthroat on December 02, 2009, 02:41:56 PM'pick door relock'.

O_O
when was this implemented?
that's fucking AWESOME.

The problem with 'pick door relock' is that you still have a chance to break your fucking pick when you fail.

So, if a newb burglar gets lucky and finally picks a door open after breaking 10 picks trying to get it done once, do you really think he's going to risk his precious lockpick just to save you some trouble?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 02, 2009, 04:05:03 PM
So, if a newb burglar gets lucky and finally picks a door open after breaking 10 picks trying to get it done once, do you really think he's going to risk his precious lockpick just to save you some trouble?

I do/have.  So yes, I do think it's a possibility Syn.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Word.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

I'm just saying: it's not a reasonable expectation, given the current code environment.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 02, 2009, 04:07:59 PM
I'm just saying: it's not a reasonable expectation, given the current code environment.

I realize that, and I didn't mean it -had- to be done when I suggested it. Just an idea if you don't want the tenant to come home to a wide-open door and actually realize he's been robbed, after having taken other precautions to make sure you wouldn't be found out.

And there's always the possibility that the burglars are intentionally leaving the door open for some other reason.

Hell, when I had a burglar-type, if someone irritated my character, I'd find out where they lived and pick their door open without even bothering to take anything, because a) he already had plenty of loot and b) you know how nosy neighbors can be.

It would seem to me that burglars do a lot of waiting. Moving about slowly, hiding in the darkness listening in on conversations, casing a particular apartment, stalking, voyeuring...
None of the heart attack moments that combatant types et al usually get into.

Quote from: Manhattan on December 02, 2009, 06:45:08 PM
It would seem to me that burglars do a lot of waiting. Moving about slowly, hiding in the darkness listening in on conversations, casing a particular apartment, stalking, voyeuring...

Ha, until the gemmer comes home while you're sifting through his loot.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 02, 2009, 06:48:53 PM

lol So true.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

You'd be better off with burglar/rebel or burglar/scavenger, both for obvious reasons.

I think the idea of playing a grave robber would be pretty fun, while it lasts...

I was wondering if it's okay to burglarize a shop when it's closed. Not actual coded burglarize, but with emotes solo RP-style and taking a virtual item.
You know, when the merchant says "I'm closed, come back at dawn" are they actually sitting there all night eyes wide open? Or do they actually go home to sleep like normal people...
I'd love the opportunity for some solo RP sessions if this is an acceptable practice.

The guide should include a line to the effect that:

"The purpose of burlgars is to ensure that apartments are only used for mudsex and killing."

Burglars make good thug-types too. Slap on a combat subguild and you can do pretty well for yourself. I've had leader PCs decide to >teach parry to my burglar/guard over and over, and puzzle themselves over why I never got better at it.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 02, 2009, 06:48:53 PM

"Puleez don' kill meh mistah 'gicker!"

"I'm too young ta die!"
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: number13 on December 02, 2009, 06:59:52 PM

You'd be better off with burglar/rebel or burglar/scavenger, both for obvious reasons.

What's obvious about that?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: number13 on December 02, 2009, 06:59:52 PM

Without going into specifics, there is a less obvious reason why you don't need to go scavenger if you're a burglar. I'd be like a ranger taking hunter. ;)

Quote from: hyzhenhok on December 02, 2009, 07:56:13 PM
Burglars make good thug-types too. Slap on a combat subguild and you can do pretty well for yourself. I've had leader PCs decide to >teach parry to my burglar/guard over and over, and puzzle themselves over why I never got better at it.

You should've been logging all those training sessions ;)