Guide to Burglars!

Started by Manhattan, December 02, 2009, 02:29:54 PM

Honestly, I think the "problem with burglars" is the same as the "probem with magickers" in that despite to the vast amount of vNPCs in the world, it only takes 1 PC burglar being fairly active to drastically alter every other PC's perceptions about burglars at large in that general area (which then becomes game wide when folks start posting on the GDB about it to vent frustration).

Allanak is not actually a city with thousands of people living in it when you get right down to it. It's a city with perhaps 50-75 people living in it; and of those people ... how many actually have aparments wth something worth taking inside them? Since the burglar can only burgle from those apartment renting people that makes his target group a rather small number of folks indeed ... possibly small enough to count on your fingers and toes ... just trying to skill up and keep a few large in the bank will create more than enough ire among that little group to trigger a manhunt and a bash-fest on the GDB.

I think that it's just kind of the nature of the game, honestly. The same way that 1 PC magicker being active in a given area is more than enough to make people start up with the "magick is too common these days" threads.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on December 28, 2009, 04:16:44 AM

Allanak is not actually a city with thousands of people living in it when you get right down to it. It's a city with perhaps 50-75 people living in it; and of those people ... how many actually have aparments wth something worth taking inside them? Since the burglar can only burgle from those apartment renting people that makes his target group a rather small number of folks indeed ... possibly small enough to count on your fingers and toes ... just trying to skill up and keep a few large in the bank will create more than enough ire among that little group to trigger a manhunt and a bash-fest on the GDB.

I feel the same way about PC raiders but I can't fault them. The staff created these professions and groups to add harshness to the world. You'll get ripped off eventually. I think the idea is to persevere despite this. If there's an active burglar cleaning out every apartment every night in Allanak there will be  man hunt and they will likely suffer consequences at the hands of players. Then the players will restock and carry on until the next famous burglar.

It's the job of these guys to rip us off and its the job of "honest" Zalanthians to put them in their place. One of the many struggles of Zalanthas. I'd only fault these guys if they typed "quit" the second you confront them.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

As a side note.

There are no staff created PC raiding groups.  All of them, past and present have been player created.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

apartments apartments apartments.

Ya'll are missing the big time here. Merchant Houses are AWESOME to steal from, because there crafters replenish the stuff you steal every day.

Nobles estates for sheer thrill and awesomeness. And you know they got the coin.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

i am guessing you never tried to break into an estate noble house or merchant house

or maybe you did not think through how you would make it out if you broke in
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: Ghost on December 28, 2009, 12:55:42 PM
i am guessing you never tried to break into an estate noble house or merchant house

or maybe you did not think through how you would make it out if you broke in

Done It. Got in, and got out. There's ways to do it if you're smart enough. :)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: X-D on December 28, 2009, 12:09:05 PM
As a side note.

There are no staff created PC raiding groups.  All of them, past and present have been player created.

Read the tribal pages to see staff created raiding clans.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on December 28, 2009, 01:04:13 PM
As a side note.

Hehe, yeah. Still, those may be staff-sponsored but not necessarily staff-created. I'm not a gray hair like X-D who could tell you for sure, though.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on December 28, 2009, 01:06:00 PM
Quote from: janeshephard on December 28, 2009, 01:04:13 PM
As a side note.

Hehe, yeah. Still, those may be staff-sponsored but not necessarily staff-created. I'm not a gray hair like X-D who could tell you for sure, though.

I see what you mean. Players proposed them in the past. My bad.

Quote from: Fredd on December 28, 2009, 12:35:16 PM
Ya'll are missing the big time here. Merchant Houses are AWESOME to steal from, because there crafters replenish the stuff you steal every day.

Nobles estates for sheer thrill and awesomeness. And you know they got the coin.

If you're doing this, you should wish up while you're doing it so that the staff can provide an appropriate response to your PC. You are venturing into a heavily-guarded compound where there are literally hundreds of servant and guard VNPCs and NPCs roaming around. Going in, loading yourself up with stuff, and getting out while relying on the fact that the NPCs and VNPCs don't "see" you because there is no imm watching...well, I don't think I need to tell you what that is.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Been here for well over 10 years, so I can say, Yes
all of the raiding clans were PC created.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on December 28, 2009, 01:54:13 PM

If you're doing this, you should wish up while you're doing it so that the staff can provide an appropriate response to your PC. You are venturing into a heavily-guarded compound where there are literally hundreds of servant and guard VNPCs and NPCs roaming around. Going in, loading yourself up with stuff, and getting out while relying on the fact that the NPCs and VNPCs don't "see" you because there is no imm watching...well, I don't think I need to tell you what that is.

Thank you for beating me to it Gim.

Quote from: Ghost on December 28, 2009, 02:17:16 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on December 28, 2009, 01:54:13 PM

Thank you for beating me to it Gim.

Didnt think about wishing up when i robbed a certain merchant house. I totally should have, would have made it more fun! So doing it on my next sneaky-stealy type pc.

Better yet, partner with someone on the inside if you can.   ;D  Then you get thrill AND interaction.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on December 28, 2009, 02:38:47 PM
Better yet, partner with someone on the inside if you can.   ;D  Then you get thrill AND interaction.

Now THAT is some crazy action movie right there

1. Find a Kadian insider.
2. Let her get you inside the gates.
3. Ask the Kadian to get naked and stay in an isolated room.
4. Get naked, then try picking the locks, only with your cloak and hood on.
5. If shit happens, run to the insider, remove your cloak, then emote out kinky MUDsex when they come.
6. The lie is simple. "The kadian let you in to have sex."
7. ????
8. Profit?
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

January 28, 2010, 05:44:05 AM #66 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:13:12 PM by Bushranger
I made a short educational video clip for all you novice burglars out there. I hope that find some of this advice useful.

NSFW the link for the brief nudity and some... weirdness.
http://www.grapheine.com/classiktv/index.php?module=see&lang=uk&code=7d4151455539ca7b5f4747247d03a08a

Bushranger
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on January 28, 2010, 05:44:05 AM
I made a short educational video clip for all you novice burglars out there. I hope that find some of this advice useful.

http://www.grapheine.com/classiktv/index.php?module=see&lang=uk&code=7d4151455539ca7b5f4747247d03a08a

Bushranger

Rules to live by, heh. May want to NSFW the link for the brief nudity and some... weirdness.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Bushranger on January 28, 2010, 05:44:05 AM

Bushranger

You forgot:  take EVERYTHING.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: musashi on December 28, 2009, 04:16:44 AM
... just trying to skill up and keep a few large in the bank will create more than enough ire among that little group to trigger a manhunt and a bash-fest on the GDB.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard related to burglars.  Ok, not the stupidest, but close.

In a dirty, desperate place like Zalanthas where a handful of sid is considered riches by the vast majority of people, should most burglars strive to have " a few large in the bank?"

Oh, and trying to "skill up" is a whole 'nother issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j4fbgiLff4

Here's pretty much all you need to know.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

burglars are badass, once they've branched certain skills

<3 guild_burglar