Expanding Linquist

Started by daedroug, November 28, 2009, 06:15:52 PM

It's always been my opinion that Linquist was relatively Useless as it is, Sure the skills you get are at pretty high aptitude however it still remains that they're not altogether the most useful skills and you only get a couple, assuming you only start with 1 language.

In remedying that how would everyone feel about adding Cavilish and possibly Benduin to the Linguist subguild?

If thats too much do you think lowering the starting levels of them would be sufficient to balance the addition?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Linguist is my favorite subguild.  I don't think it really needs help.

However, I do strongly believe that there needs to be a subguild with Cavilish.

Use the nomad/caravan guide subguilds for Bendune.

I don't think linguist needs any change, though I do agree with Moe that there should be a subguild with low level cavalish.  Perhaps general crafter or tailor or whatever.

November 28, 2009, 06:26:30 PM #3 Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:28:23 PM by Akoto
I agree with the suggestion of either general crafter, or the crafting subguilds as a whole (if you want a more expansive addition). Linguist is specialized in languages, yes, but Cavilish is spoken almost exclusively by merchants -- a theme I kind of like keeping with. If someone is devoted to learning other tongues, they could always try to do so IC. Any language can be learned eventually.

Also, I use Linguist for my subguild quite often. I find it pretty handy.

I think a new one called "Trader" with Cavilish, value, and barter would be perfect.

Quote from: Akoto on November 28, 2009, 06:26:30 PM
I agree with the suggestion of either general crafter, or the crafting subguilds as a whole (if you want a more expansive addition). Linguist is specialized in languages, yes, but Cavilish is spoken almost exclusively by merchants -- a theme I kind of like keeping with. If someone is devoted to learning other tongues, they could always try to do so IC. Any language can be learned eventually.

Ok I can understand that reasoning for not having Cavalish, however what about having Benduin included as one of the languages.

and btw, I'm not saying it's a bad subguild, I use it myself many a time, it's still in -comparison- quite puny.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: daedroug on November 28, 2009, 06:30:56 PM
Quote from: Akoto on November 28, 2009, 06:26:30 PM

Ok I can understand that reasoning for not having Cavalish, however what about having Benduin included as one of the languages.

and btw, I'm not saying it's a bad subguild, I use it myself many a time, it's still in -comparison- quite puny.

Linguists already have a boost to picking languages up, so starting with Bendune would make linguist much too good, in my inexpert experience.
I just really don't think that linguist is puny in comparison, at all.  Just go hang around some tribals and you'll have bendune in no time.  If you want it now, pick nomad/caravan guide.

I think it would be great if, when you choose linguist as a subguild, you get to choose the two languages you get after the subguild step of the app process. You could choose up to two (or hell, even just one - one extra language is awesome anyway) out of: allundean, bendune, cavilish, mirukkim, or sirihish, as opposed to the three you get currently. If you can provide background information that explains why you would get these skills, you get your choices approved.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 28, 2009, 06:36:53 PM
I think it would be great if, when you choose linguist as a subguild, you get to choose the two languages you get after the subguild step of the app process. You could choose up to two (or hell, even just one - one extra language is awesome anyway) out of: allundean, bendune, cavilish, mirukkim, or sirihish, as opposed to the three you get currently. If you can provide background information that explains why you would get these skills, you get your choices approved.

Absolutely fantastic idea. A lot of my character concepts are kind of weird...When I need to include how I know Allundean and Mirrukim. Bendune, or Cavilish, might make more sense in some cases.

Staff? Opinions?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 28, 2009, 06:26:55 PM
I think a new one called "Trader" with Cavilish, value, and barter would be perfect.

Con-artist already gets value and haggle, btw.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Linguist is great as is, IMHO. And there are already options for bendune, if it's important for your character to have that. Cavilish, in my view, is a special case.

Part of the reason bendune and cavilish are prized is their rarity compared to other languages. So I'd be a little wary about altering that.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I like the idea of a trader subguild.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I never use Linguist, but that is because 80%+ of my PCs are dwarves or breeds.

Otherwise, I think it is quite a valable skill for elves or humans who intend on dealing with the other or spying on dwarves.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: flurry on November 28, 2009, 11:03:00 PM
Linguist is great as is, IMHO. And there are already options for bendune, if it's important for your character to have that. Cavilish, in my view, is a special case.

True, but I'm sure many would agree that it would be silly to use one of our uber-limited number of special apps for such a simple addition.

Linguist was good for dwarves, back in the day, because their sirihish was so terrible. Probably still good for d-elves.

I'd give Linguists every language, starting at 1%, with one bonus language raised to 100% based on race and/or starting location.   The idea is they have the knack for picking up languages, and so it's much easier for them.   

Heh, I assume your assumption is that 1% would put the skill on your skill list?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

It's been proven that when you know 2 languages, it becomes exponentially easier to pick up other languages.  I think that even linguist would be able to listen to a few conversations in cavalish and be able to say "Oh, he wants to buy a carpet......or is it a rug?"
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

^this is what I would like. A big bump in learning languages of all sorts for linguists. Because obviously they already have the mindset, interest and propensity toward picking up other languages. I mean, bigger than the current bump.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I thought Merchant gave you cavalish? I distinctly remember being able to speak it with one I made awhile back and that I frequently used it.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: askaran on December 17, 2009, 08:49:42 PM
I thought Merchant gave you cavalish? I distinctly remember being able to speak it with one I made awhile back and that I frequently used it.

It does.

I believe people want the option to get some ability with it in a sub-guild.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Right, if I had a karma for every time someone guild sniffed me NOT being a merchant because I couldn't speak cavilish I'd be an administrator.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on December 18, 2009, 09:49:02 AM
Right, if I had a karma for every time someone guild sniffed me NOT being a merchant because I couldn't speak cavilish I'd be an administrator.

Linguist should get bendue and cavilish without accent. Definitely.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I'm still against the idea of the Linguist subguild giving Cavilish. There's a reason the language is called the Merchant's Tongue. It, rather like Tatlum, is spoken almost exclusively by a narrow subset of people. Bendune is a little more reasonable, perhaps, since its use spans a number of nomadic groups and tribes.

December 18, 2009, 04:44:58 PM #23 Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:47:26 PM by Xeran Van Houten
Quote from: jmordetsky on December 18, 2009, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: path on December 18, 2009, 09:49:02 AM

Linguist should get bendue and cavilish without accent. Definitely.

What do you mean "without accent"?
err... I guess that applies to bedune?
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Like,. not tribal accent, but get bendune. Speak it like a crazy city person. ;-)
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.