HRPT

Started by Bogre, November 15, 2009, 10:40:20 PM

You can always send an email to publicity@armageddon.org with any ideas / comments.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I vote Cutthroat to be the official Noob-Greeter on the day of the HRPT. He shall be transported to the remote outerlying regions of the silt sea, on his very own island. All noobs will enter the game on that island. Upon entry, Cutthroat will welcome them warmly, using a script written by LoD and edited for brevity by Mansa. They shall get an official tour of the island, including the beat up old airplane propeller and the half-sunk 3-hour-tourboat.

Cookies made from locally-grown coconut cream and grain from the swamp will be provided along with fermented fruit-juice of random variety of plant substances, for our guests. Using these delightful props, they will be taught the intricacies of eating and drinking emotes, and the ettiquette of not spam-eating when one is starving.

Upon completion of their noob tour, and following any pertinent or impertinent question and answer segments, the noobs will be given a bone dagger, a new pair of boots, a hooded ebony cloak, and a pair of non-descript leather sleeves. They will then have the opportunity to point at a location on the map and be transported to that location.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

November 25, 2009, 11:59:06 AM #152 Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:09:55 PM by Cutthroat
Quote from: mansa on November 25, 2009, 10:26:41 AM
You can always send an email to publicity@armageddon.org with any ideas / comments.

I'd send one, but it bounces back. So I did a publicity - idea request instead.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 25, 2009, 10:47:58 AM
everything

I realize your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but I'll say it anyway: I don't mind helping out new players. All helpers like to do it, and most other players too. I don't think an influx of new players during the HRPT would be a hindrance to anyone. I really don't get what the problem will be with having new players join on the day of the HRPT, as opposed to any other day the game is run.

I like how she doesn't give the newbs pants in her scenarios...
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 25, 2009, 11:59:06 AM
I really don't get what the problem will be with having new players join on the day of the HRPT, as opposed to any other day the game is run.

Seriously. I think a lot of folks are actually in favor of new players joining the game, rather than rolling their eyes and chatting over AIM about things currently happening in the game even though that's the biggest no no the MUD has short of hacking into the codebase.

I don't get where Liz is coming from with all the new player angst.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on November 25, 2009, 12:28:41 PM
Quote from: Cutthroat on November 25, 2009, 11:59:06 AM
I really don't get what the problem will be with having new players join on the day of the HRPT, as opposed to any other day the game is run.

Seriously. I think a lot of folks are actually in favor of new players joining the game, rather than rolling their eyes and chatting over AIM about things currently happening in the game even though that's the biggest no no the MUD has short of hacking into the codebase.

I don't get where Liz is coming from with all the new player angst.

I found Liz's scenario to be a bit entertaining....

November 26, 2009, 01:07:55 PM #156 Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:09:41 PM by Lizzie
It doesn't affect me one way or another, as I'm not playing a character with any measure of responsibility. But if the bad guys are en masse to my particular location the moment a new player shows up asking where he can buy food, it'll put me in an awkward situation. Do I continue with the plotline that this new player is completely oblivious to, pretend there isn't some poor clueless new player's character standing in front of me in dire need of assistance, and get my ass out of Dodge before the bad guys eat my brainz? OR - do I risk losing a character I enjoy playing, to explain to the new player that there's a BIG DEAL GOING ON RIGHT NOW and a 3-piece extra crispy will come hurling through the sky to him in a few minutes if he just stands still and holds his arms out?

I mean, it's one thing if it happens, simply because new players show up at the wonkiest moments. It's another thing to -encourage- new players to show up at the wonkiest moments. I am vehemently against encouraging new players to show up standing in the way of the fan, while the shit is trying valiantly to hit it.

???
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Lizzie on November 26, 2009, 01:07:55 PM
It doesn't affect me one way or another, as I'm not playing a character with any measure of responsibility. But if the bad guys are en masse to my particular location the moment a new player shows up asking where he can buy food, it'll put me in an awkward situation. Do I continue with the plotline that this new player is completely oblivious to, pretend there isn't some poor clueless new player's character standing in front of me in dire need of assistance, and get my ass out of Dodge before the bad guys eat my brainz? OR - do I risk losing a character I enjoy playing, to explain to the new player that there's a BIG DEAL GOING ON RIGHT NOW and a 3-piece extra crispy will come hurling through the sky to him in a few minutes if he just stands still and holds his arms out?

I mean, it's one thing if it happens, simply because new players show up at the wonkiest moments. It's another thing to -encourage- new players to show up at the wonkiest moments. I am vehemently against encouraging new players to show up standing in the way of the fan, while the shit is trying valiantly to hit it.

Can't you just yell at the newbie that food can wait and assing him to guard the, I don't know, west door or something because WE ARE EXPECTING THE DRAGON'S SERVANTS AT ANY MOMENT!!!111

I'm glad you feel so strongly about this, even though the opinion differs from mine. I'm just a little curious, if your opinion truly is what you state it is, why there isn't a single ad on TMS or TMC letting everyone know that this is the perfect time to get an Armageddon account. Or are you waiting til HRPT day to post it?

No, I don't feel strongly at all, I was just asking. Or you could ignore them and they will stand baffled witnessing all sorts of weird shit which will hook them up. And they will make a new char immediately thinking that this sort of things happen all the time.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 26, 2009, 01:44:30 PMwhy there isn't a single ad on TMS or TMC letting everyone know that this is the perfect time to get an Armageddon account. Or are you waiting til HRPT day to post it?

Because preferably the idea needs to be approved by the staff and players that handle publicity.

And it costs money.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

November 26, 2009, 02:19:07 PM #163 Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:23:00 PM by Lizzie
I was talking about posting an ad on their forums, in the "Advertise for Players" category. You don't have to pay for it. You just have to be a member for posting privileges.

I thought that was what you all were saying you wanted to do. Are you telling me you don't even know how, or that it's even possible? Well never mind then. I have no concerns at all. Carry on, and neato that you feel it'd be great if somehow, new players could show up on the day of the HRPT.  If feeling that way makes you feel good, then by all means, keep feeling it. My apologies if I spoiled your mood.

Oh and no, posting on someone else's forum doesn't require Armageddon staff's approval. I don't know where you got that idea. If I wanted to post a review on Mudconnector, why would I have to ask the Armageddon staff's permission? There's no rule, it isn't even a matter of good netiquette, or even courtesy. Reviewers don't ask permission from game owners, to review games. They just review them.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 26, 2009, 02:19:07 PM
I thought that was what you all were saying you wanted to do. Are you telling me you don't even know how, or that it's even possible? Well never mind then. I have no concerns at all. Carry on, and neato that you feel it'd be great if somehow, new players could show up on the day of the HRPT.  If feeling that way makes you feel good, then by all means, keep feeling it. My apologies if I spoiled your mood.

Oh and no, posting on someone else's forum doesn't require Armageddon staff's approval. I don't know where you got that idea.

It's a publicity effort - therefore publicity should be handling it, thinking of something cool to write, etc. I'm not a part of the publicity team, I was just putting forth an idea. I know how to post in a forum  ::), and I know that it's possible. But it's not my responsibility to actually make the post, and I'd be stepping in front of people that can write a better pitch (the publicity team). A review is very different from a call for players.

I've said what I have left to say on this subject, and put in a Publicity -> Idea request, like we're supposed to. So let's stop the bickering. Either using the HRPT to attract new players is a good idea, or it's not - you seem to think it isn't, I think it is. Let's see how the publicity people feel. And if it's too late for this HRPT, then maybe next time.

This thread used to be such a happy place.
This will be my first HRPT.

HUH? It's not a publicity effort. It's an HRPT. See, this thread, it's about the HRPT coming up. Someone else came up with the idea that they should mix publicity, with an HRPT. Shit, this is starting to sound more and more like a commercial enterprise than a fun game.

It was a happy place, before y'all started trying to turn an HRPT into a revenue-building opportunity (and in a game that has no revenue, that's pretty pathetic).

Come on now, guys. There's no need to get unpleasant with each other over this. Why not just allow the matter to drop, and whatever happens, happens?

Having said that, I'm also looking forward to the HRPT! I can't begin to guess what it'll be about, which I suppose makes it twice as fun. Something eager to devour my character, no doubt.

Lizzie? Who the hell said anything about revenue? Someone came along and said: Why not mention this somewhere and see if it draws in any new players? Some of us like new players. Some of us like fresh blood in the game, and some of us don't consider newbies (which we all were at one point or another) a horrible inconvienance meant to be avoided.

Pathetic? For wanting more new players in the game and seeing a great way we could grab some? lol, now I definitely know I'm done with this thread.

Enjoy the HRPT, guys and gals!

Yeah, you're right Cutthroat, I'm done with it too.

If there is gonna be advertisement, you should certainly do it now. A deadline of Saturday night would give a week's notice. Lizzie is right, this should have been thought about a long time ago, but since we dropped the ball, somebody needs to pick it up and take off with it if it means anything to you.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: musashi on November 26, 2009, 03:05:08 PM
Yeah, you're right Cutthroat, I'm done with it too.
Me three! -walksout-

Lizzie, You know I love you as much as the next noob warrior that runs into a gith with 0mv, but
You could have said it in a nicer way.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Everybody start playing nice on the GDB or I'm going to do mean things.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"