HRPT

Started by Bogre, November 15, 2009, 10:40:20 PM

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 21, 2009, 11:58:28 PM

To the east, a male voice shouts, in sirihish,
  "Burn her! We've found a witch! We've found a witch! A witch! A witch! A witch!"
An angry horde of people has arrived from the east, dragging the weathered, silt-toned lass.
An angry horde of people asks the burly, war-braided templar, politely, in sirihish,
  "We have found a witch. May we burn her?"
The burly, war-braided templar looks at the weathered, silt-toned lass.
The burly, war-braided templar says, in sirihish,
  "Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether she is a witch."
The weathered, silt-toned lass exclaims, desperately, in sirihish,
  "I can ride th' storms! Lord Templar!"
Nonplussed, an angry horde of people looks at the weathered, silt-toned lass.
An angry horde of people exclaims, with an air of sudden inspiration, in sirihish,
  "Caravan guidin' witch!"

I laughed.... and laughed..... and laughed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 22, 2009, 12:29:15 AM
There has only been one HRPT since the Copper War in 2006--in 2007, the gith invasion of Allanak. So it's not like you've missed scads of them :)

I was there for both with the same character, bwaha.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I'm SO gonna be there!! This'll be my second or third ever HRPT that I've made it to, and I've been playing for almost 8 years now. Needless to say, I'm a bit stoked. I died in my first (battle of Luirs), survived the second (Gith Invasion). Who knows what'll happen this time

*runs away, cackling with glee*
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

I was at both wars, and hopefully gonna make this one.......I'll be the one spam looting in the background ;)
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

I just realized my mom is flying down to TX from VA for some family bullshit... that weekend.

I'm going to have to make an excuse to leave and hopefully be back in time.  Hopefully my character will even be able to get to see what happens.

Grrr...

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FuSoYa on November 24, 2009, 04:25:50 PM
I'm going to have to make an excuse to leave and hopefully be back in time.  Hopefully my character will even be able to get to see what happens.

De rigueur terrible suggestion: Just log on in a "safe" place and hope your guy doesn't idle out while you have to be away from your computer. Make sure you are logging to a text file! :D

Quote from: titansfan on November 24, 2009, 04:18:40 PM
I'll be the one spam looting in the background ;)

Ah, fond memories of killing the crap outta quite a few looters during the gith invasion. Good times!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 24, 2009, 04:30:41 PM

De rigueur terrible suggestion: Just log on in a "safe" place and hope your guy doesn't idle out while you have to be away from your computer. Make sure you are logging to a text file! :D

Safe places are the first to get drowned in lava, sacked by mantis/gith/rebels/bad stuff(tm) or buried under tons of rubble in HRPTs.  So watch out you tavern idlers!

An HRPT is a glorious thing because when it's all over, you have no idea if things will ever be the same again.  The most exciting thing about Armageddon is that things can actually change.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: titansfan on November 24, 2009, 04:18:40 PM
I was at both wars, and hopefully gonna make this one.......I'll be the one spam looting in the background ;)

A Rubble-Strewn Room [NS Save]
It appears this room was once a storeroom of some sort, though its
many shelves have been toppled and mostly destroyed. A gaping hole
leads northward where a solid brick wall used to be. The entire area is
covered in dust, gravel, and stray bits of brick, and the pervasive scent
of BLOODY DEATH clings to the remaining wreckage.
A set of partially-collapsed stone shelves is here.

> l in shelves

In a set of partially-collapsed stone shelves (here):
several battered tins of spam

> think SCORE!
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

A suggestion, in case staff bothers to look at this thread again:

A very cool thing that was done during the Copper War was the IC snippets posted by Halaster as the action was ongoing. If there is going to be a lot of action during the day of this HRPT on the 6th, in lots of places, perhaps snippets might be posted to an ongoing update thread. Along the lines of: "People throughout the world felt the earthquake blah blah blah, rumors say perhaps..." or "People in Tuluk would have seen flying through the air..."

Of course it would necessarily be very general and vague, but enough to give those logging on late, or those who have to leave early, some kind of in-the-moment connection. (It sucks being the guy who logs on at 5 pm and has to claim he happened to sleep through Major Thing That Just Happened. brytta, I'm looking at you ;) )
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 24, 2009, 07:48:07 PM
It sucks being the guy who logs on at 5 pm and has to claim he happened to sleep through Major Thing That Just Happened.

There's giths in the WHERE?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yeah, we'll do some 'everyone knows' kind of posts. Some details of course will be omitted or left to discover firsthand :)
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Stop ripping off the upcoming WoW expansion newbs.

Quote from: SykotikGith on November 24, 2009, 04:13:15 PM
I'm SO gonna be there!! This'll be my second or third ever HRPT that I've made it to, and I've been playing for almost 8 years now. Needless to say, I'm a bit stoked. I died in my first (battle of Luirs), survived the second (Gith Invasion). Who knows what'll happen this time

*runs away, cackling with glee*

:sigh:  Where's Fatty Tor when you need him?

In his honor, this RPT shall have "Appetite for Destruction" playing in a loop.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

I don't care if I live or die, so long as:

• It is fun.
  • I survive long enough to see its conclusion.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quote from: Aaron Goulet on November 25, 2009, 12:58:32 AM
I don't care if I live or die, so long as:

• It is fun.
  • I survive long enough to see its conclusion.
I'm all for the immortals to allow spectator mode like in COD, so I can just float around watching.

June 26, 2006
Copper War IC Events:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,20094.0.html

HRPT Afterthoughts, from Immortal point of view:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,20892.0.html

Discussion about "Ordering NPC Followers"
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,20700.0.html

Help Brief Combat - http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,19815.0.html
Removes all the "SWING AND A MISS" from combat spam.  REALLY HELPS in combat.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Hey Publicity Coordinators - what would be a good way of advertising the upcoming HRPT to the masses?  I think big world-changing events are a great time to attract new players to the mud.

Perhaps a teaser poster and thrilling tagline are in order.
Sparse sands blow across your path.

We should all have this song synchronized to start at a time to be appointed by staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_I6doz6Qk
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

P.S.- I am so psyched about this.
       I was taking a break and missed the gith war by like a week.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Salmon on November 25, 2009, 08:17:22 AM
Hey Publicity Coordinators - what would be a good way of advertising the upcoming HRPT to the masses?  I think big world-changing events are a great time to attract new players to the mud.

Perhaps a teaser poster and thrilling tagline are in order.

I agree. Other MUDs have been known to put up postings on MUD listing sites to inform potential new players about upcoming events, and how they can start playing. I bet we could get a few new players interested in this.

The times make me happy  :D

I think the best time to try attracting new players is...a few weeks -before- an HRPT, or a few weeks after it. Otherwise, you end up with this:

Sergeant says, to the 4 other PCs, while 2 templars, 2 nobles, and 4 nobles' aides, a troop of PC bynners, and random commoners stand at the Gaj, in war-accented sirihish,
"A'right then, let's all get to the stables and mount up! WE ARE GOING TO WAR!!!111"

The noob-booted man has arrived from the south.
The noob-booted man says, in noob-accented sirihish, emoting a little because he's a cute noob, "Hello, and forsooth! I am in dire need of a bootery! I beg thee kind sirs, assist me and the king's gold shall be yours!"

The players of 16 pcs collectively roll their eyes, and fight in AIM to decide which one of them gets stuck -not- participating in the HRPT so he can help the noob.

While all this is occurring,

The noob-booted woman has arrived from the south, her pale buxom boobed curvy body and glossy waist-length raven ebony tresses swinging in tandem.

In sultry-accented sirihish, but lacking emotes because she's not a cute noob, the noob booted woman says, "Oh my is this my surprise party?" She giggles girlishly, blushes coyly, does a few other things in a few other adverbly ways, then stands there waiting for all the mens to offer mudsex.

The players of 16 pcs collectively roll their eyes. Some fight in AIM to decide which of them gets stuck -not- participating in the HRPT so he can help the noob. At least 2 of them consider doing it on purpose, just for the mudsex.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 25, 2009, 08:58:15 AM
I think the best time to try attracting new players is...a few weeks -before- an HRPT, or a few weeks after it. Otherwise, you end up with this:

Sergeant says, to the 4 other PCs, while 2 templars, 2 nobles, and 4 nobles' aides, a troop of PC bynners, and random commoners stand at the Gaj, in war-accented sirihish,
"A'right then, let's all get to the stables and mount up! WE ARE GOING TO WAR!!!111"

The noob-booted man says, in noob-accented sirihish, emoting a little because he's a cute noob, "Hello, and forsooth! I am in dire need of a bootery! I beg thee kind sirs, assist me and the king's gold shall be yours!"

The players of 16 pcs collectively roll their eyes, and fight in AIM to decide which one of them gets stuck -not- participating in the HRPT so he can help the noob.

The noob-booted woman has arrived from the south, her pale buxom boobed curvy body and glossy waist-length raven ebony tresses swinging in tandem.

In sultry-accented sirihish, but lacking emotes because she's not a cute noob, the noob booted woman says, "Oh my is this my surprise party?" She giggles girlishly, blushes coyly, does a few other things in a few other adverbly ways, then stands there waiting for all the mens to offer mudsex.

The players of 16 pcs collectively roll their eyes. Some fight in AIM to decide which of them gets stuck -not- participating in the HRPT so he can help the noob. At least 2 of them consider doing it on purpose, just for the mudsex.

By advertising the HRPT on, say, TMS forums, you're advertising to players that know what an RPI MUD is, know what's expected of players in an RPI, and know if that's something they can do. We'll likely grab players from other RPI MUDs, or roleplay-required non-permadeath muds, since those players will be more used to roleplaying in a given setting.

We'll most likely not get what you fear.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 25, 2009, 09:16:18 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on November 25, 2009, 08:58:15 AM

By advertising the HRPT on, say, TMS forums, you're advertising to players that know what an RPI MUD is, know what's expected of players in an RPI, and know if that's something they can do. We'll likely grab players from other RPI MUDs, or roleplay-required non-permadeath muds, since those players will be more used to roleplaying in a given setting.

We'll most likely not get what you fear.

It was still quite funny CT. 

Though yes, this kind of thing would have been best to be advertised the minute we heard about it.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Yes, I think it's funny too. I just don't think it's too late yet.

What do mansa and other publicity people think?