Derails from New Unofficial GDB Policy

Started by Cutthroat, November 11, 2009, 10:07:19 PM

November 11, 2009, 10:07:19 PM Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:14:02 PM by Oleupata
Quote from: FuSoYa on November 11, 2009, 10:05:11 PM
I, FuSoya (AKA Brandon), do hereby pledge to only bring positive comments, ideas, and suggestions to the Armageddon General Discussion Board. If there are ideas I disagree with, I will express so in a helpful and collaborative way. If I think someone, or some idea is stupid, I will keep it to myself and suggest improvements rather than make snide remarks in an attempt to make myself somehow look better. I will do everything I can to make this a welcoming community, that will attract new players and help improve the game for everyone. I suppose in that sense my GDB handle is somewhat of a misnomer. Edit to add: I'm open to being called out on not doing this.

Brandon

Hey, you quoted my specially-tailored post!

November 11, 2009, 10:49:46 PM #1 Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:59:33 PM by Sokotra
Unfortunately I'm afraid there will continue to be the same crap... just veiled a little better.  I just think some people enjoy being negative and insulting on purpose... like they can't distinguish the game from reality.  It's one thing to have a different view or belief - it's another thing to intentionally and directly assault and insult someone in a purposely negative manner because of their differences.  One reason that many people have probably left.  I'm sure I've unintentionally insulted people while trying to be constructive, but I've never been out to create a negative environment or target someone just to bash on them. 

On the positive side... kudos for trying, I hope things move in a better direction.

Quote from: Sokotra on November 11, 2009, 10:49:46 PM
Unfortunately I'm afraid there will continue to be the same crap... just veiled a little better.  I just think some people enjoy being negative and insulting... like they can't distinguish the game from reality.  One reason that many people have probably left.  On the positive side... kudos for trying, I hope things move in a better direction.

Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Pretty disappointing guys. Sad example that you can't even let this thread go without trying to dump negativity into the effort. Perhaps you should try taking the pledge. BE the change you want to see in the GDB.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

The power of lulz compels thee

The power of lulz compels thee

The power of lulz...
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

November 11, 2009, 11:24:37 PM #5 Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:54:17 PM by Sokotra
Yeah, lulz was my first thought as well...

Quote from: Olgaris on November 11, 2009, 11:17:03 PM
Pretty disappointing guys. Sad example that you can't even let this thread go without trying to dump negativity into the effort. Perhaps you should try taking the pledge. BE the change you want to see in the GDB.

Certain folks just enjoy attacking (yeah, sometimes just for the lulz) rather than discussing.  I don't think anyone is trying to dump any negativity into the effort.  This has been tried before to some degree.  Just trying to point out the problems that kept it from working in the past in hopes that it won't fail again.  

Quote from: Sokotra on November 11, 2009, 10:49:46 PM
On the positive side... kudos for trying, I hope things move in a better direction.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 11, 2009, 10:07:19 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on November 11, 2009, 10:05:11 PM
I, FuSoya (AKA Brandon), do hereby pledge to only bring positive comments, ideas, and suggestions to the Armageddon General Discussion Board. If there are ideas I disagree with, I will express so in a helpful and collaborative way. If I think someone, or some idea is stupid, I will keep it to myself and suggest improvements rather than make snide remarks in an attempt to make myself somehow look better. I will do everything I can to make this a welcoming community, that will attract new players and help improve the game for everyone. I suppose in that sense my GDB handle is somewhat of a misnomer. Edit to add: I'm open to being called out on not doing this.

Brandon

Hey, you quoted my specially-tailored post!

Haha... I just happened to pick yours randomly.

It works though!

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PMbrandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: Kryos on November 13, 2009, 03:54:00 PM

I, Kryos who may also be known as the walking sweedish murder machine or that guy, do hereby pledge to only bring positive comments, ideas, and suggestions to the Armageddon General Discussion Board. If there are ideas I disagree with, I will express so in a helpful and collaborative way. If I think someone, or some idea is stupid, I will keep it to myself and suggest improvements rather than make snide remarks in an attempt to make myself somehow look better. I will do everything I can to make this a welcoming community, that will attract new players and help improve the game for everyone.

p.s.
You certainly take me to first base, Olgaris, but to get into my pants you'll have to up this a notch to policy.  Three strikes.  1 - day ban, 2 - week ban, 3 - perma ban.

I actually like this.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

I think perm bans are terrible and unnecessary.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Admittedly, its more iron fist then many like.  But I'm a big proponent of this.  If people shape up or ship out, the world gets to be a better place.  If they can't follow this tenant, what good were they doing for the game/community anyway?

Except that, some people that may act like total douchebags on the GDB are still good roleplayers in game. More good roleplayers=better game.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Assuming that's true, which I suspect it is personally, then these players should have *no* trouble following these guidelines.  Its a matter of minimal self control and pride in your hobby.

Quote from: jhunter on November 14, 2009, 04:17:17 PM
Except that, some people that may act like total douchebags on the GDB are still good roleplayers in game. More good roleplayers=better game.

Most of my favorite players are douchebags on the GDB, fwiw.
we got stuck here for the winter
blinded by golden dollar signs
we built some simple structures
temporary not permanent
each year we dug much deeper
each year things got more serious
each year our hearts grew weaker
blinded by golden dollar signs

Quote from: mansa on November 14, 2009, 03:59:53 PM
I think perm bans are terrible and unnecessary.

I agree, but I am highly in favor of more week/two week bans.
Even the biggest jerks are still part of the community... besides, they just a make a new account.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.