When to OOC

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 13, 2009, 07:09:26 PM

Quote from: jhunter on November 15, 2009, 01:38:40 AM
I agree with LoD, -except- :
I don't have a problem with someone pointing out a mis-targetted emote. A mis-targetted emote is completely OOC and can have IC repercussions. I find it much more jarring to have them try and correct it with an odd, out of place emote instead.

Yeah, this is a good point. I think most of our players are mature enough to understand that you really meant to spit on the red-skinned elf instead of the red-robed templar, but I don't mind if someone uses OOC for this.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

And if it really bothers people that much make it so the OOC channel can be turned off completely if you so choose.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

:'( more
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Cerelum on November 15, 2009, 12:58:53 AM
I think that some folks are taking the help files too literally...

I too don't like when people go into large OOC sessions but I hardly ever see it.  If someone uses OOC to correct a typo I just ignore it and know they meant well.

I personally have seen newbs scared off by folks who go all crazy cause they ooc something once or twice.  I'd rather deal with a little immersion breaking then piss off what might one day be my best partner in crime or lover or whatever.

What I normally do if I know I'm going to have to sheppard a newb is go into a rarely visited room with them, The Gaj kitchen, Sun King Dancing hall etc.

I've always thought sometimes we are too quick to shove "Find out IC and READ THE BOARDS NEWB" at newbs.

When I posted the helpfile for OOC, my intent was to show what is acceptable and what isn't.

There's a "grey area" where, IMO, quite a lot is allowed with OOC.

We are allowed to:
coordinate playtimes for RPTs with our fellow players.
tell new clan members how to join the clan forum.
correct our mistakes with OOC. We are also allowed to correct it ICly. There is nothing in the help file that discourages either method. Personally, if I do

say (coughing) Wow, I'm very fucky.
instead of
say (coughing) Wow, I'm very lucky.

I will then do
say (clearing his throat) Lucky.

But if I type
say (coughing) Wow, I'm vey lkcuy.

Then no one can know what I could have even begun to mean, so I will correct my mistake via OOC.

Pulling newbies aside to OOC to them about game mechanics is well and good.

Here are some examples of what's not good, and I've seen similar things before.
X OOCs: Rawr, I did unspeakable damage.
x OOCs: Fuck why are you killing me?
x OOCs: You can't emote that. That's power emoting.
x OOCs: lol amos that was so funny.
x OOCs: I'm drunk
x OOCs: I have burning poison in my blood

And while a player complaint can serve its purpose, it will discourage a newbie, and it will make the RP policeman even more annoyed.

November 15, 2009, 02:58:52 PM #29 Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:32:16 AM by Bluefae
     Damn you, Jhunter, and your logic!   :D  Actually, after due consideration, I think you've got the right of it.  

Quote from: jhunter on November 15, 2009, 01:38:40 AM
I agree with LoD, -except- :
I don't have a problem with someone pointing out a mis-targetted emote. A mis-targetted emote is completely OOC and can have IC repercussions. I find it much more jarring to have them try and correct it with an odd, out of place emote instead.

The bolded part is compelling for me, having been on both ends of some BAD mis-targets (i.e. character death, grossly derailing rp, etc.).  Situations vary, of course, but I think using OOC to quickly correct a critical error is actually helpful for maintaining a good role-play atmosphere.  For lesser "offenses" I'd think it'd have to be that individual's judgment call.  
    I've been guilty of excessive OOC myself, and have made a real effort in the last year or so to steer away from its use whenever possible.  However, I'd still gladly use it to keep a scene on track.  I guess there's some kind of "whatever will be the least disruptive" principal at work.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Wait, so you mean I shouldn't be coordinating sleepovers at my house through ooc?  my bad.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I use OOC to ask people if they have nosave subdue on during certain situations when you are trying to subdue someone but not, you know, arrest them or kill them.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on November 17, 2009, 12:25:38 AM
I use OOC to ask people if they have nosave subdue on during certain situations when you are trying to subdue someone but not, you know, arrest them or kill them.

Yes, that's also a good one.