When to OOC

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 13, 2009, 07:09:26 PM

Just a reminder. I know sometimes Arm can be fun and exciting, and you want to share that excitement with others. But this is not what the OOC command is for. OOC should almost NEVER be used. Only in instance of joining a clan, coordinating playtimes, or helping newbies with syntax issues, and letting someone know you might have to leave soon should it be used. And in those cases it should be brief curt, and professional.

QuoteOOC                                                         (Communication)

This command is exactly like the say command, except that where
say is used to express "in character" (IC) speech, the ooc command is used
for "out of character" (OOC) speech. The only other important difference is
that say will always be translated for language differences and ooc will
not.
   Think before you use ooc. It is not intended for conveying IC
information, nor for discussions of the game mechanics, nor for extended
roleplaying debates, nor for getting around language barriers.

It can have a detrimental effect on those around you, jarring them from
the atmosphere they've built up.
If you have some comment to make, often
the OOC bulletin boards, e-mail to the game account, or the web discussion
board are more appropriate forums.
   Please note that any conversation with an immortal (a member of the
staff) is automatically "out of character."

Syntax:
   ooc <message>

Examples:
   > ooc Sorry, I have to go irl now.
   ("irl" means "in real life.")

> ooc afk
   ("afk" means "away from keyboard" and generally means that the player
   has had to attend to something, but will be back very shortly.)

Notes:
   Try to use the ooc command as little as possible, preferably never.
Imagine what a movie would be like if the actors and actresses kept
breaking out of their roles all the time--the movie would be awful.

Never ever use the ooc command to convey IC information.This is looked
upon very poorly by staff members.

See also:
   gone, say, tell, wish

Yes, please. Please, please, please. I've been guilty of getting a little OOC-happy during confusingly-coded situations with large numbers of players myself. That stuff can be tricky, but try to keep the OOCs to a minimum.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I think everyone should do their best to simply not use it.  There's almost always a way to handle any situation ic. 

emote subtly lifts ^me eyebrows in an obvious request for consent
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 13, 2009, 07:48:24 PM
emote subtly lifts ^me eyebrows in an obvious request for consent

That is the hottest way of of asking for consent I've ever seen.

I mean.. uhh...  >.>

Good rule of thumb, use ooc like you would use the wish all command. Rarely and only when completely necessary.

The only way I can think of reinforcing this is with self-restraint. If someone uses OOC unnecessarily, don't OOC back. Just ignore. They will get the idea. And if not, staff will likely spank them anyways.

Or if it's really really really that bad, especially if the player does it habitually, then send in a complaint and staff will deal with it. I've never seen anyone THAT bad, though. There are certain very good players who have a bad habit of correcting their typos with OOCs, though.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 13, 2009, 08:06:24 PM
There are certain very good players who have a bad habit of correcting their typos with OOCs, though.

This is a pet peeve of mine. You don't have to ooc to correct every typo. We usually get it. Heh.

I like passing my typos off as my character being drunk, stammering, or you know, making mistakes like people actually do in real life.

A typo while speaking is one thing, but a type in an emote, or a mistarget are, while obvious, very annoying. You can't please everyone, and if you don't acknowledge your mistake, then other people think you're just an idiot who can't spell or type.

So then, people should never use the "gone" command either, because its too OOC?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I don't really think most players will think you're an idiot who can't spell or type just because you make the rare mistake and you don't OOC to correct it. Now, if you're making constant mistakes...then they might think that. But constant mistakes would be even more annoying to get OOCs for.

I don't correct myself with OOC, ever. Sometimes I may correct myself in an emote:

The delicate woman makes alluring eyes at the sun-eyed half-giant.

The delicate woman was actually attempting to make those eyes at the sun-inked tribal guy who she can barely see behind the sun-eyed half-giant.

November 13, 2009, 08:26:20 PM #11 Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:29:23 PM by MarshallDFX
I usually only correct myself when the typo cannot be interpreted at all and makes it so what I mean is obscure. If it's in the middle of the sentence, I'll use OOC.  If it's at or near the very end, I'll usually add a:

say (coughing) What I meant..

Ex.

Say (pointing at the door) Go fund that woman!

ooc Er.. fund=find.

But I won't bother with:

say (pointing at the door) Go findd that woman!

I'd much rather people didn't even do this, (no offense intend, MDFX, you're a stand up fellow) because it shatters immersion.  Just play it off that your character misspoke.  It happens in rl all the time anyway.  But this is the murky realm of opinion.

I think the rules are pretty clear on this, and that it doesn't need a post.

Much like the, "There are too many X!!!" or "plz don't kill without RP" threads, this can be handled by a player complaint or some other email to the staff.

Players do not need to be harangued on the forums for this kind of thing.

No, I think you're wrong Yam. I believe people get in the mindset of "hey it's alright to do this" Especially newbies who see vets do it. So helpful reminders like this are in place to give broad suggestion to many, instead of singling out and attacking individual people with complaints.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 13, 2009, 08:52:02 PM
No, I think you're wrong Yam. I believe people get in the mindset of "hey it's alright to do this" Especially newbies who see vets do it. So helpful reminders like this are in place to give broad suggestion to many, instead of singling out and attacking individual people with complaints.

Well I think you're wrong too, so I guess we're at an impasse.

I have to disagree too Yam.  I think threads that encourage people to engage the game in a more mature, better RP'd way are a good thing. If they are redundant, that only justifies the need for their continued existence by means of inferring these sorts of things are happening in game. 

Let me try to offer my perspective better then:

I don't think many people, if anyone, frequently get or give a complaint for using the overuse of the OOC command. Players will always mimic what they see in game, over what they read in the documentation. I see a growing habit amongst the player-base to use OOC, and I don't feel like singling out every one of them with a player complaint, that is going to make them feel worse rather than better and probably affect them in a negative way(karma, special apps, who knows what). Where a blanket reminder to everyone is harmless, unless it offends your sensibilities, which it shouldn't if you're playing per the documentation and outlined rules.

MAI IMMERSHUNNN
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I think that some folks are taking the help files too literally...

I too don't like when people go into large OOC sessions but I hardly ever see it.  If someone uses OOC to correct a typo I just ignore it and know they meant well.

I personally have seen newbs scared off by folks who go all crazy cause they ooc something once or twice.  I'd rather deal with a little immersion breaking then piss off what might one day be my best partner in crime or lover or whatever.

What I normally do if I know I'm going to have to sheppard a newb is go into a rarely visited room with them, The Gaj kitchen, Sun King Dancing hall etc.

I've always thought sometimes we are too quick to shove "Find out IC and READ THE BOARDS NEWB" at newbs.

November 15, 2009, 01:03:17 AM #20 Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:05:49 AM by Bluefae
[Edited to remove uncharacteristically snarky reply - sorry!  Maybe I'll have something more worthwhile to say tomorrow.]

I think Gimf's idea on correcting emotes is both novel and funny, and likely something I'll try in the future.  
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Taken from another thread awhile back:

As a player, there are times when I feel OOC discussion to be warranted and times when it is being abused.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I do not mind (as a player) OOC being used as:
----------------------------------------------------------------

>A way to teach a new player game mechanics.

You say, out of character:
    "To hitch your mount to you, type hitch kank me."

>Letting people know when an RPT may be.

You say, in sirihish:
    "Are you going to be available for the mission next week?"

"Tomorrow evening, 9pm EST"

>Telling someone what to do when inducting them into a clan.

"Please check out www.armageddon.org, the clan section, My Clan, password xxxxxx and send an email to OurImm@armageddon."

>Someone helping another player with part of the world.

The new player says, in sirihish:
    "It says on the board that there is a man looking for work."

"The board is considered to be gossip/rumor and isn't really something visible to be read.  In fact, literacy is usually illegal amongst the common man."

>To let someone know of an emergency situation.

"An Imm has told us all to hold positions and to disregard whatever we see."

---------------------------------------------------------
I DO mind (as a player) OOC being used:
---------------------------------------------------------

>To laugh at a mistake or funny IC event.

"lol!!!"

>To bring up a part of the game world that may not be common knowledge.

"Since when did gurth start paralyzing?"

>To correct spelling or someone else's RP.

"It's sincerely, not sinceerly.  And you shouldn't act so friendly, elves aren't friendly."

>To explain your IC actions.

"My character believes that he's a magicker because he hid while 5 people were talking to him, and that's crap."

>To talk about RL issues or events.

"Joe, are you going to the movie later?"

>To apologize for a spelling mistake or mis-emote.

"You know what I meant."

"lol!  I meant the dwarf! =)"

Those are just a few different times when it takes me out of the game world or frustrates me as a player trying to maintain my imagination.  The Imms, of course, are the ones responsible for policing the use of OOC and they may feel differently about the legitimacy of my examples, but that is how I feel when players use OOC in varied circumstances.

-LoD

IAWLODAC.

I agree with LoD and Cerelum.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

November 15, 2009, 01:38:40 AM #23 Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:43:57 AM by jhunter
I agree with LoD, -except- :
I don't have a problem with someone pointing out a mis-targetted emote. A mis-targetted emote is completely OOC and can have IC repercussions. I find it much more jarring to have them try and correct it with an odd, out of place emote instead.

QuoteThe delicate woman was actually attempting to make those eyes at the sun-inked tribal guy who she can barely see behind the sun-eyed half-giant.

This, uses an IC construct to give me information not realistically gleaned from an action. There's no way, through your actions that I would know what you were -actually- trying to do. I see it virtually the same as: "emote realizes she made a mistake.  You are telling me directly, your feelings and intent using a mechanic that is supposed to only represent physical actions.

I would personally prefer:

OOC: sun-inked hg not tribal guy
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Mai immerzion has never been ruined by someone OOC'ing that they meant to target or say something different. If thats all it took to break me out of my character, I'd have quit a long time ago.

I understand that for some of you, you create this whole sphere of immersion around yourselves OOCly, and any non in-game happenings send you for a loop. However, some people have a habit of correcting their mistakes. Please don't nitpick other people's style unless its so jarring you can no longer play.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: jhunter on November 15, 2009, 01:38:40 AM
I don't have a problem with someone pointing out a mis-targetted emote. A mis-targetted emote is completely OOC and can have IC repercussions. I find it much more jarring to have them try and correct it with an odd, out of place emote instead.

Yeah, this is a good point. I think most of our players are mature enough to understand that you really meant to spit on the red-skinned elf instead of the red-robed templar, but I don't mind if someone uses OOC for this.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

And if it really bothers people that much make it so the OOC channel can be turned off completely if you so choose.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

:'( more
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Cerelum on November 15, 2009, 12:58:53 AM
I think that some folks are taking the help files too literally...

I too don't like when people go into large OOC sessions but I hardly ever see it.  If someone uses OOC to correct a typo I just ignore it and know they meant well.

I personally have seen newbs scared off by folks who go all crazy cause they ooc something once or twice.  I'd rather deal with a little immersion breaking then piss off what might one day be my best partner in crime or lover or whatever.

What I normally do if I know I'm going to have to sheppard a newb is go into a rarely visited room with them, The Gaj kitchen, Sun King Dancing hall etc.

I've always thought sometimes we are too quick to shove "Find out IC and READ THE BOARDS NEWB" at newbs.

When I posted the helpfile for OOC, my intent was to show what is acceptable and what isn't.

There's a "grey area" where, IMO, quite a lot is allowed with OOC.

We are allowed to:
coordinate playtimes for RPTs with our fellow players.
tell new clan members how to join the clan forum.
correct our mistakes with OOC. We are also allowed to correct it ICly. There is nothing in the help file that discourages either method. Personally, if I do

say (coughing) Wow, I'm very fucky.
instead of
say (coughing) Wow, I'm very lucky.

I will then do
say (clearing his throat) Lucky.

But if I type
say (coughing) Wow, I'm vey lkcuy.

Then no one can know what I could have even begun to mean, so I will correct my mistake via OOC.

Pulling newbies aside to OOC to them about game mechanics is well and good.

Here are some examples of what's not good, and I've seen similar things before.
X OOCs: Rawr, I did unspeakable damage.
x OOCs: Fuck why are you killing me?
x OOCs: You can't emote that. That's power emoting.
x OOCs: lol amos that was so funny.
x OOCs: I'm drunk
x OOCs: I have burning poison in my blood

And while a player complaint can serve its purpose, it will discourage a newbie, and it will make the RP policeman even more annoyed.

November 15, 2009, 02:58:52 PM #29 Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:32:16 AM by Bluefae
     Damn you, Jhunter, and your logic!   :D  Actually, after due consideration, I think you've got the right of it.  

Quote from: jhunter on November 15, 2009, 01:38:40 AM

The bolded part is compelling for me, having been on both ends of some BAD mis-targets (i.e. character death, grossly derailing rp, etc.).  Situations vary, of course, but I think using OOC to quickly correct a critical error is actually helpful for maintaining a good role-play atmosphere.  For lesser "offenses" I'd think it'd have to be that individual's judgment call.  
    I've been guilty of excessive OOC myself, and have made a real effort in the last year or so to steer away from its use whenever possible.  However, I'd still gladly use it to keep a scene on track.  I guess there's some kind of "whatever will be the least disruptive" principal at work.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Wait, so you mean I shouldn't be coordinating sleepovers at my house through ooc?  my bad.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I use OOC to ask people if they have nosave subdue on during certain situations when you are trying to subdue someone but not, you know, arrest them or kill them.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on November 17, 2009, 12:25:38 AM
I use OOC to ask people if they have nosave subdue on during certain situations when you are trying to subdue someone but not, you know, arrest them or kill them.

Yes, that's also a good one.