Connection issues.

Started by Kuragari, August 25, 2009, 06:30:26 PM

I've been playing Armageddon for about a week, but I've had a strange connection issue.
While I'm playing an inputting commands, the game works okay for the most part.
But if I rest and don't send a command to the game for a couple seconds, the game seems to lose connection.
For example...

89hp 2mv 88st>rest
You sit down and rest your tired bones.

89hp 2mv 88st>score
I either disconnect or it lags a second and send the command through.
I'm on a cable connection with a hardwired router.

Anyone able to tell me what's up?

There have been some unexplained hic-cups happening with Ginka lately. Try to deal with it, I'm sure it'll get resolved on the backend sooner or later. Now give me your boots, all your coin and inevitably, your life!

[Edited to add] There are also instances with certain routers that seem to cause an imminent disconnect after only a few minutes if commands aren't steadily being input into your client.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

August 25, 2009, 07:27:36 PM #2 Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:38:00 PM by Kuragari
The question then, is my router the issue or is it the server? I have it set up to forward the port as well but I don't think it makes a difference.
What you mentioned in your edit seems relevant but I've never had this issue with other muds.  So is there any sort of router configuration I can make to fix the issue?

Set you up a timer to "save" once every nine minutes or so.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 25, 2009, 07:49:24 PM
Well I'm not sure 9 minutes is even short enough... plus that's sort of a work around than a solution... I'd prefer to be able to configure my router and make the connection work properly than do something like that.

Quote from: Kuragari on August 25, 2009, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 25, 2009, 07:49:24 PM
Well I'm not sure 9 minutes is even short enough... plus that's sort of a work around than a solution... I'd prefer to be able to configure my router and make the connection work properly than do something like that.

Okie dokie.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I don't think this is an issue on your end, Kuragari.  It's probably just a coincidence that you seem to lose connection when not typing.  I imagine if you input commands constantly, the problem would have happened at the same intervals.  Something's been going on and affecting lots of other people (if not everyone).  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Quote from: Obeliskocism on August 25, 2009, 08:10:06 PM
I don't think this is an issue on your end, Kuragari.  It's probably just a coincidence that you seem to lose connection when not typing.  I imagine if you input commands constantly, the problem would have happened at the same intervals.  Something's been going on and affecting lots of other people (if not everyone).  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Actually I use WinTin and I have a similar issue it's not the lag though it tells me something like network error, connection closed by host or something along that lines and it's not when the game lags only though is the funny part, and it's not my internet connection cuz I'm streaming music in the background without problems.

Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=149251

I dunno what help it is for wintin but zmud has an alarm script that will send a packet to keep you alive...
Apparently this is an issue for more than just armageddon and it's nothing you really can fix from this end it seems.
I guess it's all depending on where you are in relation to the server..

I have seen these issues as well and from my perspective it is a network issue.  When the 'lag spike' hits I cannot ping ginka and the traceroute fails near the last hop.

I haven't been able to verify if this lag happens from most ISPs or just some, but the connectivity issue is just long enough that it sometimes resets the connectivity.

Due to the traceroutes is seems that the issues is either a SBC issue or perhaps a router issue just before it hits the ginka.

Nothing to see here

Well it seems as long as I keep sending to the server I won't lose my connection, it's just sad that something that's based in text is having these issues.

Still a service hosted from the Internet, text or no text.  Bound to have some problems now an again.

What client are you using?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Kuragari on August 25, 2009, 09:55:06 PM
Well it seems as long as I keep sending to the server I won't lose my connection, it's just sad that something that's based in text is having these issues.

There hasn't been anything wrong with the game. In fact I just froze up, and eventually got movement again. Although, I did see people disconnect and reconnect. This is often caused by people who think that x-ing out of their browser will reset something. But there's nothing to reset, because there's really nothing wrong. And then they log back in, only to discover that they weren't logged out.  That's why they get the "reconnected" message. If the game had crashed, all those PCs who have been linkdead in quit-rooms would've been discoed and not been in those quit-rooms anymore once it came back up.

It's something wrong with the internet, on the way TO the game. It wasn't the game, or the computer that the game runs on.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on August 25, 2009, 10:21:29 PM

There hasn't been anything wrong with the game. In fact I just froze up, and eventually got movement again. Although, I did see people disconnect and reconnect. This is often caused by people who think that x-ing out of their browser will reset something. But there's nothing to reset, because there's really nothing wrong. And then they log back in, only to discover that they weren't logged out.  That's why they get the "reconnected" message. If the game had crashed, all those PCs who have been linkdead in quit-rooms would've been discoed and not been in those quit-rooms anymore once it came back up.

It's something wrong with the internet, on the way TO the game. It wasn't the game, or the computer that the game runs on.

Iowa City is about 45 minutes from me, so It's gotta me Mediacom's Fault!
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Mediacom? Sonofabitch. Heh... I used mediacom and have these issues. All the damn time.

/shakes fist.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on August 25, 2009, 10:43:25 PM
Mediacom? Sonofabitch. Heh... I used mediacom and have these issues. All the damn time.

/shakes fist.

I -work- for them as a technician, so keep it quiet -shuush-

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I get lagged out to the point where I get disconned. It's not because I disconnect myself to reset anything. It just happens. It seems to be a bigger issue in the evenings, during peak time than it does during the day.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Lizzie on August 25, 2009, 10:21:29 PM

I'm going to shit I'm laughing so hard. The Internet is broken!!! Call Al Gore to fix it!
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."