An in-game Kudos command

Started by flurry, August 11, 2009, 09:03:34 PM

I think having an in-game kudos command would be useful. This would be in addition to, rather than instead of, the existing request tool option.

The advantage to an in-game command, as I see it, is that it could accept all kinds of arguments. If you saw an object you especially like, you could kudos the object. If you saw a kick-ass NPC, you could kudos the NPC. If some particular room description really tickled your fancy, you could kudos it right then and there.

Of course, you can do any of those things already, but this would allow you to do it on the spot, while it's in your mind. Think about it; would you typo as many things if you had to use the request tool to do it?

Here are some examples to show the way it might work, and hopefully illustrate its usefulness.

>kudos dagger One of the best object descriptions I've ever seen! Very clever and unique.

Thank you for your kudos about 'a dusky ghaati-toothed dagger'.

>kudos body Amazing death scene. Superb emotes and dialogue, even when your fate was sealed. Hope to play with you again.

Thank you for your kudos about 'a headless body of the blue-eyed, sharp-nosed man'.

>kudos room Hilariously creepy description, and so many vivid details. Props to whoever wrote this. Worth the trouble to find it.

Thank you for your kudos about 'The Highlord's Private Pleasure Chamber'.

Thoughts?
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Sure.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Neat idea ... could probably use the web tool for all of those things anyway. I've been kudo'ed by my PC's murderer before for good RP before that way.

But yeah, as 7DV said ... sure. Why not?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on August 11, 2009, 09:30:48 PM
Neat idea ... could probably use the web tool for all of those things anyway. I've been kudo'ed by my PC's murderer before for good RP before that way.

But yeah, as 7DV said ... sure. Why not?

This should eliminate the need to SEARCH the playerbase to find which player did what, if it's possible to target the specific player in game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Not always ... if they're invis you still couldn't kudo them.

Quote from: musashi on August 11, 2009, 10:18:25 PM
Not always ... if they're invis you still couldn't kudo them.

I'd still like a productivity tool to remove any percentage of the work, whether that be 5% or 80%.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Add this and keep the request tool kudos option too. That way, its less work, but if you want to kudos an invisible person its still possible.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Sadly the invis kudos this is just a bit difficult to do in general. I've had kudos come back to me undelivered because staff couldn't figure out who the invis player was at the time of the scene  :-\

But I like the idea of an in game kudos. Seems cool.

In game kudos would be sweet. There have been many times I just wanted to type "wow this room desc is so fucking cool" or, "I love this item and want to high-five whoever wrote it up".

It would be weird to implement, though, I think. Because... would staff be screening them? And if they were, and this were IG, I imagine there'd be a -lot- more kudos going around. Also, if staff -didn't- monitor it, it could be used for fuckery and perhaps some information best not passed on would be passed on. Maybe I'm paranoid?
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

To play Devil's Advocate, because I'm a bastard:

Quote from: the request tool when you select 'player kudos'Finally, please write more than one line for a kudos.

The proposed idea would tend to make kudos less specific simply because of the line limit in-game. If anything, I'd like to see both options available because my kudos tend to be a lot longer than what the game would allow for input.

I think this command should not be used for PCs, but special items, rooms, etc. might be alright.

I feel IG kudos would do the same things for kudos as email did for personal letters.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

An in-game kudos could simply log within the log (that it would inevitably have to write to) all PCs currently in the room when its entered.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I hate getting kudos.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Actually?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on August 14, 2009, 12:33:20 PM
Actually?

Yes, he prefers angry emails, "Haiwaian Good Luck Signs" *fist shake*s and, of course,  >:(. Lots and lots of  >:(.

Just kidding. Stay your immortal hand from smiting your faithful vassal, oh mighty Olgaris!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on August 14, 2009, 12:39:10 PM
Quote from: jcljules on August 14, 2009, 12:33:20 PM
Actually?

Yes, he prefers angry emails, "Haiwaian Good Luck Signs" *fist shake*s and, of course,  >:(. Lots and lots of  >:(.

Just kidding. Stay your immortal hand from smiting your faithful vassal, oh mighty Olgaris!

Sooo...I can legitimately say that you're full of it, Zoltan?  :P j/k

I'm in support of an ability to send off a quick "Well done!  I liked how you throttled my PC!" kinda thing, within the game.  It would certainly allow me to send far more kudos than I do.  So many PCs and scenes that I felt were top notch..but failed to express that to those I was interacting with...
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.