Sparring injuries

Started by Salt Merchant, August 01, 2009, 05:57:59 PM

August 01, 2009, 05:57:59 PM Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:04:16 PM by Salt Merchant
Something has to give with regards to sparring. The messages one gets suggest that it's simply murderous, and some people try to play it that way, showing severe injury. But if it is that murderous, it's worthless for training, because realistically over time, sparrers would just reduce each other to cripples.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Fewer vicious hits and woundings with sparring weapons would be step in the right direction.
Lunch makes me happy.

This topic's come up so often, and every single thread has degenerated into the decision to agree to disagree. There's coded ways around being snotted by people if you're markedly worse than them in combat, and it appears that this behavior is more or less accepted by staff and players (for the most part) alike.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

I tend to RP sparring injuries as being about half as bad as they seem. Works out fine. I also have no issues RPing cracked bones and so on and so forth. Yes, sparring is dangerous ... but. This actually does give me an idea. I need to make a topic.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I remember sparring with razors once, and my opponent emoted getting cut wide open (skin -and- armor) by a DULL LENGH OF EFFING BONE!

Seriously people. Just come on. It's sparring. The weapons aren't sharp.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 01, 2009, 07:52:08 PM
I remember sparring with razors once, and my opponent emoted getting cut wide open (skin -and- armor) by a DULL LENGH OF EFFING BONE!

Seriously people. Just come on. It's sparring. The weapons aren't sharp.

It used to be possible for a strong dwarf to basically one shot someone with a sparring club so its a weird situation where the code and the situation are a little off.

They should just add massive negs to HP damage done by sparring weapons and raise stun damage-- if it could be that easy of course.

It's a difficult thing to work with. I tend to RP getting beat up, and shallow wound (like a cut on the forehead), but I don't RP permanent damage outside of a scar from daily sparring. When imms say "RP your wounds from sparring" I believe they want you to indicate that if you take a wound to the head that you've been knocked silly, and may have a cut opened up from your armour digging into your flesh.

The biggest issue I have is the fact that sparring weapons draw blood after hard hits. Lots of it. Constantly. The code more or less is telling you that when you get a wound to the neck, it's just like getting hit with a real weapon.

So yeah, less blood, less overall damage, etc... even though I amy RP sparring weapons as doing less damage than they actually do, I'd prefer if I didn't have to ignore code to RP not-being-that hurt.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

One thing that might work well is a flag for sparring weapons. Flagged weapons -never- do more than a moderate amount of damage. Even when wielded by a half-giant. This would have the welcome side effect of letting half-giants participate in sparring rounds with "littles" as well.
Lunch makes me happy.

There are some wounds that even sparring weapons can't stop though. Taking a hit that takes off half of your health in that one single hit. You -should- RP some sort of major wound, doesn't matter if it's a dull weapon or not, something like that is going to hurt some shit bad.
Don't listen to me, I'm only a newb.

I've rped broken ribs from a sparring injury, but I try not to go like I'm dying from it, even if I am down 75% of my HP. Just hurting something good.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Quote from: drasik on August 02, 2009, 02:47:37 AM
There are some wounds that even sparring weapons can't stop though. Taking a hit that takes off half of your health in that one single hit. You -should- RP some sort of major wound, doesn't matter if it's a dull weapon or not, something like that is going to hurt some shit bad.

I think the main reason people often choose not to RP hits like that as a serious injury is because the way the current code handles sparring is incredibly clunky and stupid. Hits like that probably would not happen in a training situation between a skilled fighter and his or her pupil. Sure, accidents happen all the time, but why would a teacher open up the match with immediately attempting to chop their student's head off or punch them into unconsciousness?

In Armageddon, it's impossible to fight someone without actively trying to kill them, brawl code notwithstanding. There's no way to pull your punches, to aim for somebody's less vital spots, to 'tone it down' when fighting a less skilled opponent. It's either "all-out balls to the wall attempted murder" or "stand there and get pummeled."

When the skill/stat disparity between sparring partners is high enough, it's possible to get one- or two-shotted for half your HP every single time you spar. And I'm not even talking about a human fighting a non-human like a dwarf/mul/HG. Skilled PCs are apparently out-of-control whirling death dervishes armed with dulled bone Cuisinart blades that CANNOT BE STOPPED, even by their own players.

Yes, there are multiple workarounds for this situation, and yes, I'm aware of the teach command, but I stand by my point that in most sparring scenarios: I don't think hits like that should be happening, so I don't think too harshly of people who choose to RP their wounds as being less severe.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I've always just rp'ed that they are much lesser hits than the code displays as far as injuries go. Unless it's a really bad one, then I chalk it up to a bad slip on one combatant's part or the other, a sparring accident.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Erm, the only time my PC ever sparred for practice with another PC we RP'ed the whole thing out and since I was obviously the lesser skilled in the pair I RP'ed getting a good ass whopping.

... ... Then he used the teach command.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I have -often- been a fan of a possible command to "pull back" in power. Just about every person is able to distinguish between a full on brawl, and just trying to land hits for fun. I think it would be nice to just a command that drops skill levels willingly (similar to what other certain IC things can do) only toggleable. The caveat would be, if you drop your skill level to anything below 100%, you don't gain skills.

That way, when you're sparring, you can lower your abilities a bit for the other person, and just not gain skill from it. Chances are, you wouldn't anyway.

The major plus to this, would be one of those "Oh man I'm really getting my ass kicked.." scenarios where you suddenly increase your power by like 20%, similar to dropping a pack full of rocks that the other person didn't even know you had.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 02, 2009, 01:11:52 PM
I have -often- been a fan of a possible command to "pull back" in power. Just about every person is able to distinguish between a full on brawl, and just trying to land hits for fun. I think it would be nice to just a command that drops skill levels willingly (similar to what other certain IC things can do) only toggleable. The caveat would be, if you drop your skill level to anything below 100%, you don't gain skills.

That way, when you're sparring, you can lower your abilities a bit for the other person, and just not gain skill from it. Chances are, you wouldn't anyway.

The major plus to this, would be one of those "Oh man I'm really getting my ass kicked.." scenarios where you suddenly increase your power by like 20%, similar to dropping a pack full of rocks that the other person didn't even know you had.

This would actually be really nifty.  Necessary?  Perhaps not.  But damn, it would be -nifty-.

I agree with Riev.

A lot.

In fact, I'd like to be able to moderate -all- of my skills.

Perhaps something like:

>scaleback slashing weapons 10
You scale back your ability with slashing weapons to 10 percent.

>scaleup kick 70
You scale up your ability with kicking to 70 percent.

>scaleback all 0
You scale back all of your abilities to 0 percent.

>scaleup all 100
You scale up all of your abilities to 100 percent.

This would be such an awesome tool for all sorts of scenarios.

It really would be. That idea I like.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It's definitely more convenient than also carrying 90 pounds of rock whilst beating on Cadet Newjobs. And if you're sparring someone you don't want to embarrass (like a Noble) and want to take a fall convincingly, you'd just set yourself back to 10 percent so it looks like you're actually putting up a fight...

Yeah, definitely thumbs-upping this.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

How about "Scale back Blah blah skill":

A little
Some
Half
Most
All

No point value.  Keeps twinks from trying to figure out the numerical values associated with the skill system percentages.

I like this idea, by the way.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I'm fine with the word game too, but numbers add preciseness, and I don't think that's a bad thing. On the other hand, the words fit with Armageddon's "You can't see it" policy.

'Twinks' who want to know the numbers will know the numbers, words or not. 'Twinks' really are not Armageddon's biggest problem.

It is very interesting that this came up, for reasons I can't really say yet.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Is there really any reason that we can't just dial back the damage done with a sparring weapon to nearly nothing?

(Not putting down the scaleback ideas; that's a nicer long-term solution.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

The problem with that, Brytta, at least from what I know, is scaling back the damage would turn it into a spam-every-day sort of situation. You need to get hit, to know how to avoid it. The harder you get hit, the more you remember that next time, blocking the axe with your forehead won't work.

If you constantly have someone nicking and barely grazing you, when you DO get hit by a wounding strike, you should realistically RP it as though your head is about to fall off, because you're never been hit that hard.

Though, in fairness, I've also been hit in the head/body, by a Half-Giant, wielding a weapon, and was out of commission for like 3 IC days. One of them was with a sparring weapon, and it was a one-hit knockout.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Riev, your senario is not exactly accurate. You don't have to get hard to learn to defend. Getting hit at all does the same trick. Scaling back the damage that weapons do would not change this. For the purposes of learning to defend, a nick is the same as a horrendous.

You could always create a separate function for sparring. Perhaps it could be called "spar"? The "kill" command seems to imply just that: You're trying to kill your target. In a traditional spar you're not so much trying to kill your opponent as you are trying to advance your skills as a fighter. This way, instead of dealing otherwise deadly blows against your opponent, you're simply training. Fewer injuries = more training overall. You could even use this command to train with actual weapons. (at least, in theory)