Charge skill

Started by Kank charger!, June 15, 2003, 11:05:31 AM

I have searched the GBD but could not find a related topic, so
with the skill charge how does it work?

Do you charge at a target and then enter combat?
or do you charge at the target and contine on your direction?

Example, rooms A, B, C, the mounted charger is in room A, the target in room B, does the mounted charger charge at the target in room B, depending on success knock the target to the side and continue to room C?

I think thats how it should be, would be neat, since i cannot see anyone charging then some how coming to a complete stop to attack, i can see someone charge, knock the target to the ground, then turn around as the mount slows down a bit farther from the target, then charges the target again, thats how mounted combat should be, in my mind at least..
Ideas? Help clearing it up?

Would also be neat when getting away from Gith(thats what they are called??) A ranger is surrounded by gith, she charges her mount past a gith or two and continues on at a gallop, leaving the gith, and the gith she charged behind her in a trail of dust, sand and a witty comment.

>help skill_Charge
SKILL_CHARGE                                                       (Combat)

This skill causes your character to attempt to trample an opponent
while mounted on an animal.  Upon success, the victim will be knocked over
and left on the ground (if he/she was not already there). This leaves the
victim prone to attack and disables his/her ability to do things other
than stand.  This skill, while combative in nature, is primarily available
to Rangers and half-elves who have a greater rapport with animals, since
such maneuvers require expert control over the animal.

Syntax:
  charge <target>

Example:
  > charge gith

Notes:
  If your character misses a charge, he/she may lose their balance and
  fall over and thus be in the same unenviable position as the opponent,
  had your character been successful.

It is impossible to charge while your character is not mounted.

The size of the mount can make a big difference in the success of a
  charging attempt.

See also:
  combat, ride, guild_ranger, race_half_elf

Delay: after (if success: opponent after)

Quote from: "Kank Charger!"Do you charge at a target and then enter combat?
or do you charge at the target and contine on your direction?

First of all.  The help files -are- sorted into different aspects.  Movement, Combat, Characters, Magick, Communication, General, Geography, Equipment, etc.

This one, if you notice, is under 'Combat'

I've never used this skill before, but, I believe it is a mounted bash.

Does it initiate combat?  I don't know, but I think it would.
I believe you need to be in the same room as the opponent.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

QuoteThis leaves the victim prone to attack and disables his/her ability to do things other than stand.

Does this mean that they can't fight while they're down? IMO, it would make sense but does the code actually support that? Or does this just mean that they are unable to use any action commands other than stand?
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

No...Think about it logically.  You can't do other combat skills, like bash,  disarm, or kick when you're on the ground.  You can't 'rescue' someone, or 'guard' someone.  More likely you'll be hit more, too...because you don't have that much defense sitting on your ass.  Unless you're a turtle.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

One thing that I really hope is that this new skill is not relegated purely to rangers [seem to infer that from the discussions of late], but based off 'ride' or the like.  Having not really explored it in-game, I'll reserve comment to viability, but on the surface, would opine that any "class" should probably be able to get its beast to charge following a given level of familiarity with the animal.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]