Master Craft Notation on Skills List

Started by Lizzie, July 05, 2009, 02:14:50 PM

You know what would be awesome...

if we didn't have to pester the staff every month asking if we've mastered anything new yet. It feels SO awkward even asking...

If the skills list could have an asterisk or some other notation next to the mastered craft skill, that would be - so awesome. Or, if there's some coded reason why it can't be notated on the list, maybe another command, called "master"

that gives you a list of only those craft skills that you've mastered.

So either or, would make me drool. I imagine most guild_merchant players would love it too. Magickers get to see when they've gotten their spell to "mon" so I'm really mostly just asking for the same. Is my jewelry making skill at mon yet daddy? IS IT?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

+5,672
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've played a mastercrafter before, and this would have been really helpful. I sent in quite a few "Question" requests.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleasedothis!!!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Knowing you can cast at mon and knowing you are good at making jewelry are two entirely different things.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I would actually like to see [master] beside any skill that you have mastered.

I don't think it's asking too much to know that you are a master at swordplay, or sneaking, or foraging.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 05, 2009, 05:05:31 PM

I don't think it's asking too much to know that you are a master at swordplay, or sneaking, or foraging.

When you're a master, it's usually pretty self-evident, anyway.

It's one of those things where if you have to ask, you probably aren't.

I've mastered crafting skills plenty of times without realizing it. Not true.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 05, 2009, 05:07:14 PM

Syn, frankly, not sure why you would even argue against it.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 05, 2009, 05:15:24 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on July 05, 2009, 05:07:14 PM

Syn, frankly, not sure why you would even argue against it.

1. Because I'm argumentative.

2. Because I've been playing long enough to  -know- when I've mastered something. I don't need an asterisk to tell me.

3. Slippery slope.

Unlike other skills, with crafting you HAVE to know on an OOC level whether or not you have mastered it in order to do certain things.

Kinda like you HAVE to know you have advanced enough in a magick skill to be able to use it at the next power level. (as lizzie was saying earlier)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Crafting skills:  ;D

Other skills:  :-\

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Well, I support it on crafting.

I also support it on all the other skills, too, but it's not necessary.

Just don't really think it's a 'slippery slope', but to be fair, it could be and I just don't understand it. Also, because I focus mostly on RP, I haven't maxed enough skills to know when it's maxed. I only began to notice patterns a few years ago, and almost universally, my RP is more important than my skills.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 05, 2009, 07:23:11 PM

Um.... Only I don't think any skills get to the "master" point. Oh, sure, close. Even with "mastering" jewelry, you're still gonna screw up sometimes. The mastercrafting is only so you can know you can submit a special item in that category.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on July 05, 2009, 11:34:52 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 05, 2009, 07:23:11 PM

Um.... Only I don't think any skills get to the "master" point. Oh, sure, close. Even with "mastering" jewelry, you're still gonna screw up sometimes. The mastercrafting is only so you can know you can submit a special item in that category.

Even master painters fuck up sometimes. Master writes, master everything.

But, it is an OOC thing. Because, IC, you don't have to know the exact number for how 'skilled' you are at something, and submit the item to someone else to allow you to make. IC, you're making it. It's really not the same at all. While I don't see an issue with giving something like there is on stats (general level) for skills, I don't really think it's particularly important to see it, and, knowing there's potential for.... ??? someone's going to exploit it. Because that's peoples nature. But on crafting... +1. Has my vote. That's just less time the staff has to spend responding to emails/requests/etc related to the way it's set up now. I mean, if you -know- you can't make it with master crafting because you haven't mastered the craft yet, you're a lot less likely to send inquiring emails about it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

For merchant skills involved in mastercrafting, a definite yes. For other guilds and skills, it's not necessary, and might do more harm than good.

The OP spells out the exact issue: it would be a time saver, for players and staff. Instead of emails going back and forth every time a guild_merchant wants to check their skills, again, the information would be right there. They're going to ask for it anyway, so why not save the player and staff time? It might also encourage more people to take advantage of mastercrafting.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Groovy. I'm down with it, for merchants only.

To know if you have the option to submit recipes for a particular craft skill, I don't think that's bad.  You'll be told anyway if you send a request.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

What if instead of your skill list telling you you've mastered a skill, somewhere in there, or in score, or stat, or when you login and it tells you things like you've had a birthday or you're sober, the game let you know: "You can create one unique [something] item."

After it's submitted and resolved, the flag can be removed as part of the process and once enough real world time has passed and you can do it again, the notice pops back up. Killing two birds with one stone, letting you know you've mastered a skill without complicating the skill list, and automating the timer for how often you can submit new items.
Dig?

I am in support of it for Merchants!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea to me.  "Master crafter" status, in this context, is an OOC thing that means the staff will make unique items for you.  You already learn about it through OOC means (emailing the staff).  Might as well let you learn about it through automatic OOC means.

Quote from: House Rising Sun on July 06, 2009, 08:44:37 AM
What if instead of your skill list telling you you've mastered a skill, somewhere in there, or in score, or stat, or when you login and it tells you things like you've had a birthday or you're sober, the game let you know: "You can create one unique [something] item."

After it's submitted and resolved, the flag can be removed as part of the process and once enough real world time has passed and you can do it again, the notice pops back up. Killing two birds with one stone, letting you know you've mastered a skill without complicating the skill list, and automating the timer for how often you can submit new items.

Because if I am guild_merchant and have 7 crafting skills mastered, that means I'll have to see:

You can create one unique clothworking item.
You can create one unique stonework item.
You can create one unique armorsmithing item.
You can create blah blah blah 7 lines worth of this shit.

Instead, you already -have- these skills listed on your skills list. A simple asterisk, or (M) next to the -already existing list- would solve the problem without having to deal with an extra 7 lines of text, every time you type "score" or "stat" or log in.

Oh, good point, never thought of that. In all my years I've never played a merchant and I guess I assumed if you have that many maxed crafting skills you're using bots and deserve the spam. In that case [mastered] next to the skill name would do fine. No symbols please, we do well enough without too many of those.
Dig?

Mastering/branching/maxing everything, just like in all other guilds, can be the result of having a very long-lived character. It can -also- be the result of twinkery.

Also, 7 skills (which was really just an example...I don't -think- I've mastered that much yet) isn't even half, compared to all the skills possible in the "Crafting" section of your skills list, if you're guild_merchant.