Do seals really exist?

Started by Anonymous, June 13, 2003, 11:30:38 PM

Is it possible to find the correct materials to seal a scroll?

As in wax?  Sure. But I'm not quite sure if there's code to 'seal' a scroll item.  Maybe you could write up a proposal and send it to the mud account, and one adventurous immortal might pick it up to make it possible.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

There is in fact code which allows certain 'seal' items to imprint upon a scroll and not allow someone else to view the scroll without breaking the seal.  This is designed primarily to imprint a symbol of a given major House, but I suspect anyone who can legally read/write would also have some degree of access to these items.

If you're not sure or haven't heard of the ability to do this, feel free to inquire with your friendly neighborhood clan staff member.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Sounds like a great tool for espionage and intrigues, slipping a sealed scroll in a hidden compartment on a cane, quietly swapping canes in a plaza.  Or a runner (messenger, not Bynner) making a dangerous midnight run, carrying a scroll to a distant ally or group key to a plot.

Also, when I heard mention of this possibility, it immediately brought to mind a quote I once read from the Dead Media Project Manifesto: (a lot of this quote can be observed in the musings above, this is the influence for them)

Quote... what about those little poems that Lady Murasaki used to write and stick inside cleft sticks? To be carried by foot- messager to the bamboo-shrouded estate of some lucky admirer after a night's erotic tryst? That was a medium...

Might even make a great idea for lovers in game to do.

SEAL                                              (General)

Signet rings can be used to seal scrolls. You need to be
wearing the ring and holding the scroll you wish to seal in
your inventory. Doing this will leave the scroll sealed until
someone uses the command break scroll. Once you break a seal
on a scroll, you cannot reseal it. You can view the seal on
a scroll via 'look seal'.

Example:
  use signet scroll
  look seal
  break scroll

Note:
If you have an item that cannot be used in this manner when