Pending Change to Charge

Started by Morgenes, June 27, 2009, 03:01:23 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 07:33:08 PM
Charge was so much more effective and dangerous than bash (except maybe a bash coming from a half-giant), that there is no comparison whatsoever.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

If you're comparing bash to charge, you've obviously never been any good at either of them.

I've been good at both. I know how much damage either one can do.

The simple fix would have been to lengthen the lag delay. That's all that was needed.

So, yeah. Charge needed to be nerfed.

Change was needed, but not in this way.

It's not really a big deal, anyway.

> charge <target>

> flee n

> s

> charge <target>

> repeat

The only time this doesn't work is against a PC...i.e. a humanoid with intelligence who you reasonably couldn't pull off numerous successful charges against, anyway.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

So..... It doesn't change anything except make it more annoying for the player and take longer? Why not just create a lag then?
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on June 27, 2009, 07:57:07 PM
So..... It doesn't change anything except make it more annoying for the player and take longer? Why not just create a lag then?

1) Correct

2) I've got no clue

Quote from: tortall on June 27, 2009, 07:57:07 PM

No, it makes it MUCH harder for you to WTFPWN another PC with charge.

Personally, I think anyone who has ever played a d-elf should be rejoicing with this change, because charge was probably -the- most dangerous mundane ability vs. a d-elf.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 07:55:41 PM

> charge <target>

> flee n

> s

> charge <target>

> repeat

The only time this doesn't work is against a PC...i.e. a humanoid with intelligence who you reasonably couldn't pull off numerous successful charges against, anyway.

Npc beasts would flee in terror upon your reentry before your movement lag wears off and you can charge them. So that technique works against no one. (I haven't fled from an aggressive npc and went back for more in forever so I dunno if they've been changed to not run or whatever)
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: Xio on June 27, 2009, 08:00:19 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 07:55:41 PM

> charge <target>

> flee n

> s

> charge <target>

> repeat

Npc beasts would flee in terror upon your reentry before your movement lag wears off and you can charge them. So that technique works against no one. (I haven't fled from an aggressive npc and went back for more in forever so I dunno if they've been changed to not run or whatever)

So re-do whatever it was that got you into the room with the NPC beast in the first place.

Desert elves don't generally have to worry about someone spam charging. If you have any agility at all and are unencumbered, you stand a fair chance of dodging.

I've never had a problem out of it in my experience with desert elves, not once.

This is going no where, so I'll just bow out.

All right.  I'm as convinced as I can be without knowing how combat works. ;)

I will only point out, as a final feeble protest, that most folks don't attempt to fight mounted.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

QuoteThe problem I have with this.... -carru- can charge(bash) you and tumble you into the next room. They're smaller than an inix, unless I miss my guess.... Will -they- also get this nerf? Or rangers we be able to -bash- while riding? Or will rangers -get- the bash skill?

My question as well...will this apply to NPCs?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If I'm reading the proposed change correctly, this means that you can't use charge once something has attacked you, correct?

That's the part that bothers me. There are a lot of animals in the game that run into your room and instantly attack you--are we going to be incapable of using charge against raptors and gortoks at all?
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Theoretically you could disengage and charge if you were to land a 'reel' blow.

If you're reelin' you don't really need to be chargin', though.

I don't know why people are so afraid to use the 'flee' command.

I just hope they find a few interesting ways to beef up mounted combat if they are gonna put this in. And I don't mean make it better.

Things like unique combat echoes would go a long way. Maybe along the same lines as certain wearable items.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 27, 2009, 07:59:47 PM
Personally, I think anyone who has ever played a d-elf should be rejoicing with this change, because charge was probably -the- most dangerous mundane ability vs. a d-elf.

I never experience charge abuse, so no comment. I do remember having rangers and liking the skill. That said - aren't long life d-elf rangers over powered enough?

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: Jingo on June 27, 2009, 11:56:20 PM
I just hope they find a few interesting ways to beef up mounted combat if they are gonna put this in. And I don't mean make it better.

Things like unique combat echoes would go a long way. Maybe along the same lines as certain wearable items.

Along this line, inputting lists of variables for messages in each section of the fighting code would be easy, and freaking awesome as far as making the combat less stagnant, and more interesting.

I don't mean circle kicks, but rather:

You hit a man on his head, wounding him.
or
Battering past his shield, you wound a man on his head.
or
Your slash would have wounded a man on his head, but [mount] carries him too high.
or
You knock the man's defending weapon aside, wounding him on the head. (oh, he missed a parry!)

These variable messages are easy to randomize and insert using nothing more than a random choice algorithm and a few checks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

It'd be nice if charge was modified in what effects/damage type it did depending on what mount you are riding at the time.

Some examples could be charging with an inix could do the current charge effect. An erdlu, on the other hand would inflict a piercing hit with a bleed effect due to its spurs. A sunback could slap with its tail (like a kick) or a beetle could do a single slashing bite.

These would be effected by the mount's speed too - a beetle's bite is easy to dodge compared to the quicker erdlu's slash.

June 28, 2009, 04:13:11 AM #43 Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:22:20 AM by Marc
*Morgenes applies a white cloth bandage*

You can't flee in all situations.

Fleeing near holes/shield walls would be very dangerous.  Even with skills chance plays a role.

Charge now means your 16 ton lizard stops dead cold when it hits a tregil, like a car hitting a cement post.  Helmets should be double important now with how far most pcs should fly.  Anyone wear a seatbelt?

Decrease victim delay.  Create a chance for people to fail and fail critically more often on ludicrously big mounts (ie inix).  Make monstrous things unchargable.  Charging meks and mets should not work.

Make it more risky, make it usable only on humanoids (non HG imho) that are unmounted.  Give the victim a chance to stand and flee by decreasing their delay compared to the chargers (2 times, take note!).  Charge is suddenly a calvary charge and not a mobile earthquake/huntin device.

Edited to add:

Currently the mounted rider controls the field of battle.  After this change it will be the the player on foot that controls the field.  This seems at odds with the idea of mounted vs unmounted combat.  If one player is mounted, how is the other really going to get away? (except elves but they are excluded since their agility gives them a built in defense to flee) There is no reason to believe a player on a mount could not ride off twenty or thirty yards, turn around and charge again because the unmounted player will not have the speed to outrun the mount, even with a big head start.

If I get charge again I'll be wanting my victims to flee :P
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Marc on June 28, 2009, 04:13:11 AM

Fleeing near holes/shield walls would be very dangerous.  Even with skills chance plays a role.

If you're any -good- at flee, you'll flee the direction you want to 100% of the time, unless there's some environmental effect in play.

It's too bad you can't just cut a few of the legs off a beetle as it charges by you, or impale an inix through the leg as it charges you.  Then folks might think twice about using their escape pod as a battering ram.

I mean, as it stands, you basically have to mortally wound or knock out a mount in order to incapacitate it.  Man, if you could prevent a mount from moving around by placing a few well-aimed shots to the legs, talk about the epic shitstorm that would cause.

Perhaps this is the time for a rear/mount kicking command.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: Marc on June 28, 2009, 04:13:11 AM

Frankly, I wouldn't mind if using the charge command in difficult terrain with cliffs and sudden drops automatically placed you off the cliff in question. You shouldn't be charging in that sort of terrain in the first place.

The charge skill as it was was ridiculously unrealistic.  If you're mounted and beating the crap out of someone or something with weapons, you need to be very close to them to account for reach, as well as the size of your mount.  If you've ever been to the Renaissance festival and watched jousting, that's kind of how I pictured it to be.  You need to back off and gain some momentum to be able to properly charge at somebody while you're riding a creature that large.  If you've ever ridden a horse IRL, you know that maneuvering a horse, even for a skilled rider, is difficult to do in such a small amount of space.
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Quote from: Niamh on June 28, 2009, 08:37:01 AM
If you've ever ridden a horse IRL, you know that maneuvering a horse, even for a skilled rider, is difficult to do in such a small amount of space.

Truth.

As a lover of rangers, I've had a badass rider with ridiculous charge skill and it left quite a few pc's/npc's pretty fucking helpless if I wanted them to be, ridiculously helpless. Couple that with the fact that I'm on a mount and they're not it's already little chance for them to escape. The idea of chasing a fleeing victim only to charge them down again makes more sense.

I would love to see charge be an opener to combat as explained yet have its potential injury be buffed somewhat, though not much more than it stands currently as it's already more painful than warrior bash.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Niamh on June 28, 2009, 08:37:01 AM
The charge skill as it was was ridiculously unrealistic.  If you're mounted and beating the crap out of someone or something with weapons, you need to be very close to them to account for reach, as well as the size of your mount.  If you've ever been to the Renaissance festival and watched jousting, that's kind of how I pictured it to be.  You need to back off and gain some momentum to be able to properly charge at somebody while you're riding a creature that large.  If you've ever ridden a horse IRL, you know that maneuvering a horse, even for a skilled rider, is difficult to do in such a small amount of space.

I disagree completely. My aunt has a Horse farm, which I have grown up near. If you want a horse to trample someone you dont need to get any kind of momemtum, all you need to do is yank on the reins and I garuntee you can get that horse to knock someone down that is a few feet away from you. Maneuvering, in a small area, is not as hard as you think. But since you brought it up, if we assume, like most of us do, going from ONE room to Another is a league, that means EACH room is at least a league in length. So you, imms, dont think a LEAGUE is enough room to maneuver a mount around and charge an enemy? Why not just increase the delay?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.