Amos' everywhere I see!

Started by Incognito, June 15, 2009, 12:44:14 PM

June 15, 2009, 12:44:14 PM Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:47:43 PM by Incognito
We all know Armageddon is a low-fantasy setting and all - but what is up with the current slew of PCs with near-generic sdescs?

The tall human, the black human, the average human, the short dwarf, the plain-looking woman, the dark elf, the tanned half-elf.....jeez!!!!

I guess my next pc's gonna have the be sdesc'ed : The generic, non-descript humanoid

Mdesc: You see before you a humanoid form with vaguish features, which almost remind you of everone and no one at the same time. He has eyes, ears, hair kinda darkish, legs, hands, and an average build.

I can understand that some folks might wanna just be a john-doe or a jane-doe or an amos-doe in Zalanthan terms, but please - atleast put in some discernable features in your sdesc.....at this rate, soon, the entire mud population's gonna be : A human male or a dwarven female or something along those lines....

Edited to add: Of course it is every player's right to make whatever kind of PC they want, this was more of a personal suggestion that I just had to voice. No offence intended to any of the above PCs, if they exist.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

June 15, 2009, 12:49:19 PM #2 Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:51:05 PM by mansa
please post more in game information.

not

Actually, I think it's because I can't find that website that has the huge list of Zalanthan Colours.  Sorry.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Name: Amos
sdesc: the tall, muscular man
guild: sorceror
subguild: thug

desc:
Tall and strong, from hs build this man is no stranger to hard labor.  His jaw is habitually
slack, and he breathes through his mouth.  His black hair is unevenly hacked off at shoulder
length.  His brown eyes peer out from beneath a craggy brow and he has the scars of combat
up and down his forearms.  His square jaw is covered in unshaven stubble.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

The average man.

Somehow I am always able to spot him in a crowd when his face is uncovered.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

the tall, muscular man <------> the besmirched, atramentous moppet

It's a fine line.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Hehe, I've noticed this as well and I love it. I'm tired of the not knowing what the fuck the sdesc even means. I don't consider my vocabularly pathetic but me having to keep thesaurus.com open in the background while I MUD is a little much!

On a derail that sort of funny:
Years ago I once played "The tall, thin elf" who was a shady bad guy. After a failed assassination I shadowed the victim only to overhear: Who did it? / It was a tall elf, he was thin.

I was promptly busted 30 seconds later via the way by a Templar for being identified as the tall.. skinny elf. o.0

Imagine my disappointment.  :'(
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

June 15, 2009, 02:04:12 PM #7 Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:06:03 PM by valeria
No one is totally nondescript.  On the street outside my job, I can tell fat balding executive #39 from fat balding executive #40 easily, even if they're the same height and weight, because unless they're identical twins (and sometimes not even then) they are going to have distinguishing characteristics.  It might be realistic to have a nondescript sdesc, and be pretty generic-looking, but if your mdesc doesn't have at least one distinguishing feature, you're probably being a little unrealistic.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Sometimes the sdesc is the distinguishing feature:
The dark elf - a little darker than most
The tall, muscular man - a little taller than most, with noticeable muscle
The short dwarf - shorter than the average dwarf

And so on..
Seems fine by me. I mean, the tall, muscular man is a far more distinguishable characteristic than the tall, blue-eyed man.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

PCs with simple sdescs are refreshing IMO. I'll take "The big man" over "The adjective-verbed, adjective-verbed man" any day.

June 15, 2009, 05:53:59 PM #10 Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:08:27 PM by spawnloser
Quote from: Majikal on June 15, 2009, 01:58:52 PM
On a derail that sort of funny:
Years ago I once played "The tall, thin elf" who was a shady bad guy. After a failed assassination I shadowed the victim only to overhear: Who did it? / It was a tall elf, he was thin.

I was promptly busted 30 seconds later via the way by a Templar for being identified as the tall.. skinny elf. o.0

Imagine my disappointment.  :'(
Then put your character's more unique characteristics in the sdesc.  You pulled a dirty trick by not doing so.  The short, bald dwarf.  The big, thick half-giant.  Seriously, Skin color.  Hair color.  Something that isn't a given for the race already.

The people who simple say, "It was the tall, thin elf that did it!" should be shot, indeed.  If it was said more like, "A skinny, like extra skinny, even for one of them sharpear fecks.  Taller than most skinnies I've seen too."  That I have no problem with.

YOU defined those as your character's most noticeable characteristics.  If someone paraphrases it but pretty much says what your sdesc is in that paraphrase, you'd better believe you should be recognized.

Edit to add: If you want anonymity, you must conceal your uniqueness.  Wear a cloak/facewrap/etc.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think it's just a trend, like any other trend we've had. As trends go, it's not a bad one.

But yeah, I agree, there's no way you can make your character so average-looking that they become indescribable.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon