A proposal for rate of healing

Started by Salt Merchant, June 12, 2009, 07:52:26 PM

Currently, one can completely heal from near-death to fully healthy in a matter of an in-game hour or two of sleep.

I suggest that the healing rate be modified to be slower the more greviously one is injured.

At half hit points and above, it could occur at the current rate.
The lower one goes below that, the longer it takes to heal up to the next hit point.

For example, if one is knocked down to 1 hitpoint, it may take an hour in game to reach 2. And another hour to reach 4. And another to reach 8. And so forth.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 12, 2009, 07:52:26 PM
Currently, one can completely heal from near-death to fully healthy in a matter of an in-game hour or two of sleep.

I suggest that the healing rate be modified to be slower the more greviously one is injured.

The lower one goes below that, the longer it takes to heal up to the next hit point.

For example, if one is knocked down to 1 hitpoint, it may take an hour in game to reach 2. And another hour to reach 4. And another to reach 8. And so forth.

Too annoying for low playtime characters.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Too unbearable for low endurance characters.  Try to regenerate hp/move with a low endurance elf and you will cry
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

What if we allow healing while off-line? (In the same way one sobers up while off-line now?)
Lunch makes me happy.

I actually like this idea, but I think the combat system itself would have ot be changed to reflect it. A super slow regen rate, to me, would also mean a very fast, brutal combat system so that less injuries are incurred in a fight - 'cause when they are they'd be bigtime.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 12, 2009, 07:52:26 PM

I like this idea.  I think it would help the game.

On the surface, it would appear to be an annoyance.  But I don't think it would be that annoying for a simple reason:

People would learn to think twice before getting into a fight.

The more violent and dramatic that combat is, the more of a barrier to entry there is for people who don't have a significant motivation or grudge to settle.

It would elevate the level of strategy employed in game combat.

In my opinion, it would help to separate the men from the boys.

I dig this idea. it would make it more realistic.

Fast HP regen is currently only possible in one or two outdoor zones (if it's not storming) and indoor zones.

Try recovering HP quickly anywhere else in the game, and you'll be sadly disappointed.

Personally, I think HP/stamina regen in the grasslands should be seriously nerfed.  I've had fights where I lost 20-30 HP and I was back to excellent condition before I finished emoting my skinning job.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'm going to toss out... That people on Zalanthas are supposed to be tough.

*runs for cover*

Yes, this and all the other ideas for making things more difficult, are awesome to make the game "better" for people who already know how to play, who have already gotten bored with how it is now, and whose experience with playing has made things easy for them and they want a challenge.

Unfortunately, people who have not played as long, or played combat characters as often, if at all, are the ones who will find it even more difficult than it already is. And for those of you who have forgotten, it is difficult. Just because you are now veterans or well seasoned and know how to get past the code, doesn't mean it's easy. It just means it is no longer challenging for -you.-
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on June 12, 2009, 08:20:18 PM
I'm going to toss out... That people on Zalanthas are supposed to be tough.

*runs for cover*

Yes...

Playability and enjoyability FTW.

I think the fact that our characters can already die and not get a respawn with experience loss is already enough to prevent anyone from getting into fights they can't handle. Armageddon already separates the men from the boys by being one of the few games out there that have permanent death fully implemented.

Also, think of it this way - it'll ruin the economy since hunters can't hunt half as often.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Do not want.  Not with the wildlife we have right now.

In a world without tarantulas, I'd say it isn't a bad idea...but I hate to use boredom as the mechanism for enforcing reality.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 13, 2009, 12:42:58 AM
...but I hate to use boredom as the mechanism for enforcing reality.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

No.

I think I did cry several times with the last celf I played and the last half-elf when resting in only stinging sand, warm day it took half an IC day to regen 10hp.

Even with high end PCs regen can be brutal in most areas of the game.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

No...Please no.

Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I'm really torn.

On the one hand, I would love the added realism and the additional terror in fighting. I would also love the need to have a doctor on the field.

But on the other hand, it would hurt impatient players who don't want to deal with the long regen times, and those players are important to the game.

I can't vote for one above the other.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 16, 2009, 05:08:32 PM
On the one hand, I would love the added realism and the additional terror in fighting. I would also love the need to have a doctor on the field.

I really, really agree here.  The problem in my book is that, even in clans like the city militias or House Tor, PCs often DO get injured pretty seriously doing routine things Outside.  If we're no longer going to blow off major hitpoint loss, a look needs to be taken either at rebalancing things or at changing how missions are run.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I think permdeath is brutal enough, and enough of an incentive not to get into low HP.  Someone that cuts it that close all the time, is probably not going to live very long anyway.  I don't have a ton of experience with combat, so I can't say much more, but I usually prefer playability over realism, and a longer regen time would probably cause me more boredom than I would find interest in.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I'm all for a lower rate of healing.

If you don't want to wait forever to heal up to, then be smart and don't wait until you're bleeding profusedly to run from a fight. It's really not that hard.

Quote from: valeria on June 16, 2009, 09:28:16 PM
I think permdeath is brutal enough, and enough of an incentive not to get into low HP.  Someone that cuts it that close all the time, is probably not going to live very long anyway.  I don't have a ton of experience with combat, so I can't say much more, but I usually prefer playability over realism, and a longer regen time would probably cause me more boredom than I would find interest in.

I agree with this position.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 16, 2009, 10:32:25 PM
If you don't want to wait forever to heal up to, then be smart and don't wait until you're bleeding profusedly to run from a fight. It's really not that hard.

Tell that to the green pc that just walked outside Merchant's Gate, only to be reel-locked by a black beetle in room #12435.

This change would benefit old characters and paralyze new ones.

Quote from: Eloran on June 16, 2009, 11:10:15 PM
This change would benefit old characters and paralyze new ones.

Agreed completely. I'd love harsher, I'd love more use put into physicians etc. Unfortunately I think all the younger pc's would just get wtf pwned. Not so bad in the north but the sands in the south are near suicide to youngins.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

June 16, 2009, 11:49:21 PM #24 Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:51:29 PM by Eloran
The only way I would support such a change:

1) The addition of a "stem" command that allows one to stop the flow of bleeding. I believe all guilds that fight regularly, i.e. warriors, assassins and rangers should have such an ability. There would be a high success rate, and it would not heal hps, though it would stop further loss of blood. (Of course, this idea all rides on whether or not the blood_loss code were kept in the game as a normal factor, as opposed to a player's dunce cap. If SM's idea is put into place without blood_loss, stem is obviously not needed)

2) Bandage must be fixed. It is currently broken. I don't care how much of a novice I am and putting gauze over a wound and sealing it tightly shut, I should not half my current hit points on a critical failure with newbie bandage. That's utterly rediculous. The loss of hit points should be lessened to a fraction of what they are currently.

Hell, I think a more fair alternative would be for failures to ruin the bandage, not your flesh. How can you screw a bandage up so bad that your tear your wounds?

Without the above, I don't see the op's idea working in the slightest. It would simply be too much to ask of the playerbase.