A proposal for rate of healing

Started by Salt Merchant, June 12, 2009, 07:52:26 PM

I'd rather see changes made to allow for people with less playing time to still be able to play and enjoy the game. I vote no to -anything- that slows the game down further.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Slowing the game down is a big downer, you're right. People with hours to spare have a big advantage over those who play sparingly.

Even as someone who usually gets around eight hours a day in, I strongly agree with the last two statements.
if you can only play for an hour or two, waiting on a thirty minute regen, would be a joy-kill.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 17, 2009, 03:17:31 AM
if you can only play for an hour or two, waiting on a thirty minute regen, would be Is a joy-kill.

ftfy

Alright, the message is clear. People don't want this. Thanks to all who replied.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 18, 2009, 06:10:35 AM
Alright, the message is clear. People don't want this. Thanks to all who replied.

I'm personally not -entirely- opposed to the idea, like I said. I think your proposed idea would be a bit too harsh, but perhaps a median would be fine. However, this wouldn't sit well with me until other issues are addressed first.

Quote from: Eloran on June 18, 2009, 09:21:03 AM
this wouldn't sit well with me until other issues are addressed first.

Exactly this.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I think certain areas of the game should be brought more in line with other areas of the game.

Hell, when there's no storm out, you heal faster out in the open in the Grasslands than you do if you're sitting in a tent.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

There might be an IC reason for that. Granted, you would think the Xytrix Za would work in the same way, but it doesn't.

More realistic healing rates would be nice, especially if it makes physicians more useful, but I'm more wary about the how this would unbalance things. It's a tough thing to implement. If you're a solo newbie hunter, a slower healing rate would mean starving to death. And if the hunters starve to death, a lot of other people will too. Warrior/guard types who spar could actually have more fun with it, but it's not good for people who do fight for a living.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I've notice over the past few years that physicians tend to have a shorter life expectancy than assassins, or even Byn sergeants.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

You're hanging around the wrong physicians.  I know two IG with my character, both which have been around for quite a while.

Edit to add: Not that I think this'd make this idea worthwhile.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Im not in favor of this until something changes. I don't have a solution, im not sure what should be done, if anything.

Currently though, if healing rates were slowed it would be a huge ass pain for any southern hunters. As it stands, my 25 day combat class is still getting royally destroyed by scrab more often than not. A mainstay of southern hunting fodder, scrab, and 25 days playtime in I have a 50/50 chance of killing them. Usually taking injuries to the point where that one scrab is all that can be brought down before needing to stop the hunt.

Until you can have 25 days played with a combat character and not get slaughtered by a scrab, well, I am not for slowing the rate of healing whatsoever.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on June 21, 2009, 10:15:15 AM
Until you can have 25 days played with a combat character and not get slaughtered by a scrab, well, I am not for slowing the rate of healing whatsoever.

Warriors are the only southern combat class. :'(
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Pickpocket and Burglar are not "combat" classes.  Assassins kill people, not animals.  Warrior/Ranger should have no problems killing scrab after only a few days.

What scrab have you been fighting?  Scrab are tough if you have 0 defense, but damn, they're not that tough.

Ideally I would like more realistic physical recovery for realism, but that would kill the playability.  Not too long ago I had a human with AI endurance who recovered so quickly it was stupid.  Unfortunately slowing normal regeneration would likely would result in a rise of both 1) maxed physicians with "magick" bandages that can somehow mend broken bones and broken skulls and 2) more Vivaudians and the general Zalanthan more readily wanting to have them around to heal them.  Even if you slow regen, people are going to want to kill stuff, will get hurt, and will still need a way to recover.  I don't like either of the above points in a low-magick game.  If the mindset/documentation changed so that #1 was explainable and #2 was more acceptable, it just might work.

Quote from: Sephiroto on June 21, 2009, 02:22:57 PM

Pickpocket and Burglar are not "combat" classes.  Assassins kill people, not animals.  Warrior/Ranger should have no problems killing scrab after only a few days.

What scrab have you been fighting?  Scrab are tough if you have 0 defense, but damn, they're not that tough.

Not even 40-day warriors are scrab-proof.  :(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

June 21, 2009, 04:54:20 PM #41 Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:17:15 PM by Sephiroto
Right.  Never say never.  But statistically they are.  I see no reason to derail further about scrabs.

Let's talk about bleeding and how/if we want to change it.

Some of us don't think it needs fixed.

Around 8 or 9 years ago Ness cut regen in half across the board. I did not much like the change, mostly because I was playing a very high end dwarf...and his regen was near magickal. After the cut though, it was just impressive.

Since then I have played other races and I really think the current rate of regen should make all of you happy. An ave end human will take most of an IC day to regen 20 HP outdoors. And since Humans are the standard, I think that is a fine balance with realism and playability.

Please leave out the exceptions that really should be too IC to mention on the GDB...though some already have.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah, I have to agree that the rate of healing is fine as it is.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 22, 2009, 01:14:58 AM
Yeah, I have to agree that the rate of healing is fine as it is.

Thirded.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 21, 2009, 04:01:44 PM
Not even 40-day warriors are scrab-proof.  :(

Lol, I always thought that scrabs were the typical things for newbies to hunt, tarantulas were sort of the 15-day hunt  :P

Meh, some low endurance guys take the whole day to regen with sleep. Very annoying especially considering what kind of fights low end guys get into. The really high end guys regen like a T-1000. They could really take a beating, but even when dropped to less than half life, they could just sit for lunch and regen fully.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.