Cutting down trees.

Started by Cerelum, June 12, 2009, 04:02:02 PM

Please remove the randomness of cutting down trees and make it some type of standard system.  It now seems like you either get lucky or don't when you type use axe.  The tree falls down or it doesn't.

I've had where I've typed use axe three times and a tree fell three times.  I've had where I've gone through twelve swings with an axe and didn't drop one tree.

The randomness is annoying and doesn't really make much sense.

Please fix it, somehow.

It's a skill. It's not more random than any other skill.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 12, 2009, 04:09:14 PM
It's a skill. It's not more random than any other skill.

I respectfully say that I think you're wrong.  If it is a skill, it doesn't act like one.  I've had characters who were alive for 10 or 20 days and went out chopping down wide swaths of trees and the shit never changed.  Some trips you knock down two in a few swings.  Some trips you have to use all your stamina, rest, then use nearly all your stamina again to drop one.

If it's a skill, it doesn't act like one and it needs tweaked IMO.

lol, try mining obsidian. it's worse. 15 swings to get a small chunk. :(

i'm sure it's not a skill. it -may- be based on strength.

I don't think its based on strength.

I am almost 100% convinced that your ability to mine 'sid is entirely dependant on being born in a favorable month, under Lirathu and not Jihae, and on an odd numbered day. If you are born on an even number day it can be offset with having khol-rimmed eyes. If your eyes are khol-rimmed and you were born on an odd numbered day you do not get an extra bonus.

Favorable months include those with the word Dragon, or Anger in their names.

That, or it is based on stats. I have yet to see any rhyme or reason, both with weakling humans and super buff HGs. I have mined glass with a mul, but that is an entirely different animal. Don't get me started!
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lumberjacking.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Quote from: Simple on June 12, 2009, 04:20:36 PM
Lumberjacking.

Trust me, I got it, doesn't mean your dick from your asshole about how many swings it takes to down a tree.

Quote from: Cerelum on June 12, 2009, 04:23:09 PM
Quote from: Simple on June 12, 2009, 04:20:36 PM
Lumberjacking.

Trust me, I got it, doesn't mean your dick from your asshole about how many swings it takes to down a tree.

You're wrong, I've had human/merchants that could beat the hell out of a HG/combatives in a logging competitions.
It works off the skill.  I've played enough people with the skill to notice the increase once lumberjacking goes up.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

There is some randomness to it, however over the years it's been modified to include a number of other factors that make sense. You can idea, your thoughts in game through the "idea" command if you desire as well.
That said, I personally am less inclined to read, respond, or consider discussions/ideas where foul language is used to make a point, though perhaps other staff do not feel this way.
FYI for future reference.

But Dak, how am I going to idea my thoughts on ways to better implement the shit code without drawing your ire?!

Quote from: Eloran on June 12, 2009, 05:39:41 PM
But Dak, how am I going to idea my thoughts on ways to better implement the shit code without drawing your ire?!
I seriously just logged on and typed shit, hoping there was some type of code I wasn't aware of.  I am disappointed now.

I think that would be the ultimate insult to someone, get invited into their place and just shit in the kitchen... I don't care if they killed me.  I just SHIT in their kitchen!

Respectfully disagree.

I have had several forester subguild pc's. Only one of them had even -average- strength. After about 5-7 days played, I could usually fall 2-3 trees without resting. 4-5 if I got lucky. And believe it, a lot of the time, the more swings it takes to fell a tree, the larger (heavier) the tree.

Now, on a PC without the skill, it does seem to be about like mining obsidian. (IMHO)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I had a character with poor strength who used to fell trees. Didn't know that getting 2-3 without resting was a good amount :P

Randomness is sort of annoying, though.

Mining.. for some reason, I think going out there with a Byn aba and no mounts helps. I got like 3 large chunks in one go and couldn't carry them back  :-\
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

What I want:

>l deposit

A massive deposit of obsidian is here, in the sand.

>use hacker deposit

(blah blah) A large chunk falls off.

>use hacker deposit
Nothing.

>use hacker deposit

(blah blah) A small chunk fall off.

> l deposit

A large deposit of obsidian is here, in the sand

If it doesn't yet, I think that 'sid mining and lumberjacking should use pseudo random distribution, like the Warcraft 3 engine does. (Yes, I know all computer stuff is pseudo random, I'm just using the term that the DoTA/WC3 guys use)

I was gonna post the link to the article, but it seems to have been deleted. Anyway, it's something like this:
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8804/distyj5.png
(Image courtesy of Pixelthief)

Normal randomness says that you have an equal chance of success each time, like 30% the first time, 30% the second time.. and so on. So you could chop down a log 3 times in a row, or even fail 10 times in a row.

PRD tilts the roll so that the more times you fail, the more likely you'll succeed in the next attempt. So, you'd have a 7% chance of success on the first try, then 12%, then 21%, 40%, 46%, and so on, giving you a 100% certainty to succeed after enough tries.

It makes more sense. If you're hitting the same deposit a few times, you're certain to nick a chunk off. If you're hitting the same tree, you'll be more likely to chop it down after enough tries. Of course, it could already be in for all I know.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

For sure!

That's a great idea SMux.

Heh. Smux. That would have been a much cooler username, actually. I think I'll call him that now.

Good idea by the way, Smux. ;D
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Whoah, yuor post is almost word-for-word the same as one I posted a month back, JC.

I see. I don't generally pay attention to your posts.  ;)
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.