Who C

Started by Xio, June 03, 2009, 08:58:58 PM

...it becomes an OOC crutch to facilitate gameplay?

There's probably a better way to implement the idea, with perhaps some new psionic skills.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:12:42 AM

Damn you, glass-is-half-empty guy.

It's not a crutch, it's a useful tool. Then again, I don't expect you to paint who-c in a good light when you've been against it.

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:12:42 AM

What's wrong with facilitating gameplay?

I thought we were playing a game ...
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Why don't we have a global who in this game?

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:18:32 AM
Why don't we have a global who in this game?

Because there's a difference in knowing who all is online (even people you don't know) as opposed to knowing when people in a tribe or clan are online.

Guy, it's to help promote roleplay. How can that be a bad thing?

I see absolutely nothing bad to come of Who C at all. At all.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Why don't you just have the contact skill SUCCEED with a bonus of 50% to people considered "family members" within clans that can't recruit.

Problem solved?

Quote from: Eloran on June 04, 2009, 01:21:29 AM
Guy, it's to help promote roleplay. How can that be a bad thing?
Because I'd like to repeat what has been stated.  People would log in, type 'who clan', see nobody, and log out.

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:24:01 AM
Why don't you just have the contact skill SUCCEED with a bonus of 50% to people considered "family members" within clans that can't recruit.

Problem solved?

No.

Why don't you have a psionic skill that searches the known world for family members within your tribe, and lets you know if you can touch their mind with a full contact?

What's stopping people from just logging out anyways after doing a contact string?

June 04, 2009, 01:36:00 AM #35 Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:39:23 AM by mansa
Quote from: titansfan on June 04, 2009, 01:29:57 AM
What's stopping people from just logging out anyways after doing a contact string?

Nothing.  But there's been stated by staff that there is a better correlation between people who type 'who clan' and quit right after, compared to those people who try and go through the action using in game skills.  I think that people who use skills still believe there is a chance that you 'failed', and that the person may still be out there, compared to the magickal OOC reference of 'who clan'.

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:36:00 AM

Nothing.  But there's been stated by staff that there is a better correlation between people who type 'who clan' and quit right after, compared to those people who try and go through the action using in game skills.

That's because it takes longer to try contacting ten different people as opposed to just typing "who c".  ::)

Silly, I know.

Hmm, I can see that point, but that doesn't make much sense for Militia or anything else since you're often dealing with folks outside of your clan. I still vote on it being available to those certain clans if not all. The instance you're describing would often happen with d-elves or tribals.

Quote from: Eloran on June 04, 2009, 01:40:42 AM
Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:36:00 AM

Nothing.  But there's been stated by staff that there is a better correlation between people who type 'who clan' and quit right after, compared to those people who try and go through the action using in game skills.

That's because it takes longer to try contacting ten different people as opposed to just typing "who c".  ::)

Silly, I know.

To me, that seems like the whole argument as to why you should 'Keep it'.  It's a time saver.  It is 100% true, and never fails.

Do I think that people in families should have a better chance at succeeding at contacting each other?  Yes.
The easiest change I can think of, is just including a bonus to contacting someone within your tribe / family.  Isn't there usually less than 5 people in any ISO clan, anyways?  If you knew your contact skill would succeed nearly 90% of the time, you can shoot through those 5 people within a minute.

I play this game to have fun. Who c is a means towards finding others to interact with. The harder you make it on individuals to find others to interact with, the more pressed they will be to find said interaction, leading them to more solo sessions.

Not everyone is a solo rp'er.

Let me break it down further in a linear fashion:

I play this game to have fun.

Playing with others is fun.

Who c can help me find others instantly in my clan/tribe to have fun with.

Hence, who c is a useful tool to aide players in this game.

But what about those not in ISO clans, who it's very handy to seeif someone important is around instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off.....trust me I have been through it, who c is a lifesaver.

June 04, 2009, 01:55:34 AM #41 Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:02:01 AM by mansa
If you can't play ArmageddonMUD for longer than 10 minutes at a time, I don't think this is the game for you.

Quote from: titansfan on June 04, 2009, 01:54:23 AM
But what about those not in ISO clans, who it's very handy to seeif someone important is around instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off.....trust me I have been through it, who c is a lifesaver.
Use contact like every other player in the game, besides Militia / Tan Muark / Halflings / select Elven Tribes.   Statements like that show that it's an OOC Tool that gives IC advantages to characters in the game.

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:55:34 AM
If you can't play ArmageddonMUD for longer than 10 minutes at a time, I don't think this is the game for you.

Slamdunk.

So, is does anyone but a very vocal Mansa (and the staff, I suppose) actually support this change?

Why?

Sure.  I'll support it.  I haven't played in a clan with Who C in ages.

A soldier who needs his templar is no different than a hunter who needs his agent.  Or an assassin who needs his boss.  Or a tribal who needs his tribal leader.

A clan with Who C allows you to see who is online, so that you can contact them.  Other clans do not have Who C for various reasons pertaining to the functioning of that clan.  I.E. a soldier failing contact knows he is just failing, and that other person does not know whether they're failing.

Taking away Who C forces you to use IC means to deliver messages in the case you can't tell whether someone is online, whether they're barriered, whether they're in a bad spot, so on and so forth.

Who C allows you to watch after an engagement and see who survived.

AAAAND!  Who C allows actions and knowledge in game that are reminiscent of strong psionic skills.  But it costs no stun.  OVERPOWERED.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I support it. Who -c should definitely be an all or nothing affair - either every clan gets it, or none do. And personally, I'm on the side of 'none'.

In fact, if all my clannies knew auto-magickally whenever I was logged in, I'd never play in a clan again.

I do not support it. It's a helpful tool to interaction in my eyes.

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 01:27:40 AM
Why don't you have a psionic skill that searches the known world for family members within your tribe, and lets you know if you can touch their mind with a full contact?

So who c with a different name?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 04, 2009, 02:26:07 AM

Sure!  One that actually uses psionic skills and causes stun loss.

Quote from: mansa on June 04, 2009, 02:27:53 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 04, 2009, 02:26:07 AM

Sure!  One that actually uses psionic skills and causes stun loss.

Oops... I get it now, and I like it. 
Instead of "clans" maybe you could have a list of, for example, the ten people you are closest to that you can "ping."
It wouldn't make much sense for a new recruit to be able to automatically find every member of the clan psionically.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.