Staffing Changes Discussion

Started by FantasyWriter, June 01, 2009, 09:26:55 PM

How will the "producer" level differ from "overlord"?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 01, 2009, 09:26:55 PM
How will the "producer" level differ from "overlord"?

The name?

In other news, "helpers" will now be classified as boy and dolly grips.

Eloran is correct.

The Producer role is essentially the same as the old Overlord position. One of the opportunities the staffing changes has given us is to revamp the more 'fantasy-esque' titles. We've evolved from "Immortals' to 'Staff' so it seemed fitting that our titles followed suit.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

<Adhra answered while I wasa posting>
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Does this mean there will be six staff with Overlord-sized hunger for brainz?  :o
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 01, 2009, 09:36:55 PM
How [if at all] will the "producer" level differ from "overlord"?

See above.

This seems like a way to give the mud a more business oriented structure. Moreso a corporation now than anything.

I liked the old titles. These new ones are kind of... faceless? Soulless?

You'll always be my OL's and HL's.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

This is a smart move.  It brings the titles in line with other organizations, so it is easier for the staff to place this volunteer experience on their resumes.  It makes cross-organization communication more possible, and places greater "OOC" value on the work that the staff performs.

Which, to me, seems like a great idea.

While it would be great to live in a world where "Highlord" fits right on your resume, we do not.  Attracting and keeping capable staff at all levels is something that the game's Producers must pay attention to.

$.02

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Next thing we know, there's going to be a TV series based on the stories of interesting Armageddon characters picked by staff.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on June 01, 2009, 10:25:28 PM
Next thing we know, there's going to be a TV series based on the stories of interesting Armageddon characters picked by staff.

Quote from: path on June 01, 2009, 11:20:18 PM
Quote from: SMuz on June 01, 2009, 10:25:28 PM

oyah

I have mixed emotions about this...
I feel like we are going from a fun RPG game to a Business.

Things are changing.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on June 02, 2009, 12:25:25 PM
I have mixed emotions about this...
I feel like we are going from a fun RPG game to a Business.

Things are changing.

I understand your fears, but that's not what is happening.  As was stated earlier in this thread, if a prospective employer sees "HighLord" on your resume, they are most likely going to laugh you out of the interview (no matter how cool the title sounds.)

However, if they see 'Producer' on your resume, they will likely inquire as to what you helped produce, your precise duties, day to day running of the game, etc.  These questions can all be answered with more ease because the employer is actually interested and is not just humoring you.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

The term "producer" invokes connotations that might fool a prospective employer though. That's not a good thing.

If you guys think this will help though, more power to you.

I think the change in names is awesome.
I think the stepping down of our current overlords is sad, as I've always liked them and respected their work.
I think the promotion of the current highlords to their new positions is great, as it gives fresher blood to the administration of the game.  Both Vanth and Adhire have been highlords for a while now, and really know how everything ties together in a story, and Morgenes has been coding on the mud before I even started playing.

Its sad that Sanvean is stepping away, but I like her fiction she's been writing and the fantasy website she is an editor for.
Nessalin has been a staple of ArmageddonMUD since before I can remember and I hope he still is around to scare the shit out of me.
Raesanos wrote some awesome room creation tool for Arm 2.0 that inspires me to learn how to program, and I'll miss his youtube vidz.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The primary motivation behind changing the titles is not so people can stick it on their resume. It's the same reason that we moved to referring to people who work on the game as staff rather than immortals: in order to increase professionalism. That's something we've been working on ever since I came aboard, and it's been the impetus behind great many positive changes and, as far as I can tell, no negative ones.

With the other two Advisers be stepping away as much so as Sanvean?

Also with the last clan shuffle, some of those groups seem much less balanced than the were aftr the last rearrange.  Is the current grouping of clans what staff wanted or is it a temporary arrangement to cover the recent losses of a few staff members?
Grebber - One who grebs.