weather, why is it only on the ground?

Started by spawnloser, May 15, 2009, 07:41:44 AM

Okay, I'm not saying that whirans need to be F'd by weather, but I think it's stupid that storms only travel along the ground.  I would LOVE to be able to 'weather up' to be able to see what the prevailing weather is like in the area about the city instead of only being able to see what's in the city.  It is ridiculous that you have to haul your happy a&&e& to the gate just to see what's going on outside when, from quite a few places in quite a few cities, you should be able to see the sky to some distance out to know if there's a sandstorm out there.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

in the mean time, won't just going to the gate and doing 'weather north' do?

And if your city is not covered . . . then how will your weather inside be all that different from outside?

and if it IS covered, how can you tell what it's like outside?

Sand storms by their nature are low to the ground, and in the midst of one you cant see up very well.  In a city, the walls block much of the effects, just as I have noticed certain areas in game give you different amounts of shelter in a storm based on code.  Having been in a couple sandstorms, it all seems pretty realistic to me.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

So, if a storm is outside, it shouldn't be inside at all because the walls block it?  I think it is unrealistic to NOT be able to see what the weather is like outside the city when circumstances should permit it... and I think having to go to the gates to look outside is silly in some situations.  You should be able to see if there's a storm outside without GOING outside.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Only thing missing that I know of, is being able to check the weather, when you're inside a pilot's chamber of a wagon that is not part of the wagon's exit. "weather out" returns an error. I idea'd it, and bugged it, but either the staff doesn't feel it's a priority, or it is working as intended and they don't want to change it. Either way, I feel that if you're in a pilot's chamber, and type "weather out," you should be able to *see* if the sand in front of the wagon is kicking up, or if there's a breeze coming through the chamber window (which is not glassed in)...etc.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: a strange shadow on May 19, 2009, 08:18:47 AM
weather w

It's not THAT hard.
Did you read ONE word that I posted?  Here, let me try again...

I THINK IT CONTRIVED, SILLY, STUPID THAT YOU CAN'T SEE OVER A FREAKING WALL!

Quote from: spawnloser on May 19, 2009, 03:10:01 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on May 19, 2009, 08:18:47 AM
weather w

It's not THAT hard.
Did you read ONE word that I posted?  Here, let me try again...

I THINK IT CONTRIVED, SILLY, STUPID THAT YOU CAN'T SEE OVER A FREAKING WALL!

...you look at certain restrictions as a brick wall that you can't get past, and I know for fact (and so does anyone that's played a Rinthi) that these walls aren't nearly as high as they look like and not so long of reach that you can't get around by being clever and THINKING.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Aw, that's cute.  You're bitching about social issues.  I'm bitching about code and realism issues.  They do not compare, Lizzie.

You could always use 'The Way' to ask friends what the weather is like in or near other cities.

In case it hasn't been stated yet, the reason we can't ">weather up" inside the city is that it woule require the creation of a room over EVERY room in the city for you to check the weather in.  A huge task that would require time that staff probably sees as better used elsewhere.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 19, 2009, 06:57:13 PM
In case it hasn't been stated yet, the reason we can't ">weather up" inside the city is that it woule require the creation of a room over EVERY room in the city for you to check the weather in.  A huge task that would require time that staff probably sees as better used elsewhere.
Incorrect.

Being able to notice the weather - by looking "over" the walls of a City-State like Allanak or Tuluk, would imply that your PC's height has to be disproportionately-mutated, unless you mean to imply that the above-referred walls are unrealistically short - considering the fact that they do protect the entire populace from not only the weather, but far far greater dangers.

When I picture Allanak's city walls - I think of a fortified castle - like Gondor or Rohan - in LoTR. The people on the ramparts can see outside, but the general populace residing in the lower levels cannot see outside.

To put things in further perspective - imagine walls and gates high enough to easily accomodate Mek-drawn argosies....
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on May 22, 2009, 06:58:15 AM
Being able to notice the weather - by looking "over" the walls of a City-State like Allanak or Tuluk, would imply that your PC's height has to be disproportionately-mutated, unless you mean to imply that the above-referred walls are unrealistically short - considering the fact that they do protect the entire populace from not only the weather, but far far greater dangers.

When I picture Allanak's city walls - I think of a fortified castle - like Gondor or Rohan - in LoTR. The people on the ramparts can see outside, but the general populace residing in the lower levels cannot see outside.

To put things in further perspective - imagine walls and gates high enough to easily accomodate Mek-drawn argosies....

This is also how I've pictured the city walls in the game since they are there for the protection of the populace afterall. I wouldn't think they're the height of your average white picket fence or garden wall, so I think it's perfectly fine that I cannot see over a wall to find out the weather. Ask a friend or go check for yourself. :)

What? The idea that you don't know a massive sandstorm is just over a thirty foot wall is absurd.

How could you not see that?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 22, 2009, 07:58:01 AM
What? The idea that you don't know a massive sandstorm is just over a thirty foot wall is absurd.

True ... unless you're right at the base of the wall, you should be able to see a massive sandstorm on the distant horizon easily, I'm just not sure how best to go about representing that in game without a lot of extra coding.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

True enough. Should atleast be able to see something that big.

Quote from: spawnloser on May 22, 2009, 06:20:26 AM
Incorrect.

There are places where you can check the weather in a room that doesnt exist?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 22, 2009, 07:58:01 AM

That scenario's quite different from the one I picture the City-States of Allanak and Tuluk to be. I imagine the city walls to be atleast six-feet thick and perhaps sixty to eighty feet tall.

However, if Allanak and Tuluk are like the picture of the camp above, then you probably wouldnt even need to look up to notice the storm - you could just notice it from the horizon from miles away.

The weather code could easily be modified to include something like:
Weather
You are indoors : The sands are silent.
Immediately outside: A harsh sandstorm fills the air.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: FantasyWriter on May 22, 2009, 12:30:42 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on May 22, 2009, 06:20:26 AM
Incorrect.
There are places where you can check the weather in a room that doesnt exist?
That's not what I was saying was incorrect.  You don't need 1 room for every room on the ground.  1 room in the air could cover multiple rooms on the ground (all of the ground rooms have an exit up into the same room while the aerial room has 1 exit down into only 1 of those rooms).

I'd say more, but it'd go into IC details and I'd like to avoid that.  It's part of the game design.

Ah, I see... I remember such a place.  I wasn't thinking about that.
Grebber - One who grebs.