An old dog relearning old tricks.

Started by The Lonely Hunter, April 26, 2009, 02:36:06 PM

Hey guys. Some of you old dogs will remember me, I hope.  :P
I haven't played in roughly two years but I am looking to make a come back. I'll have to learn all the old tricks again and I'm a little worried, I feel like a newb again. I'm sure it is like riding a bike though.

Anyway, any tips or advice? Since the revamp of the north, I've been a die-hard Naki guy. Hows the player-base down there these days? Any big changes that will make my heart stop?

I've got a couple PC ideas in mind but would love to hear some feedback before I settle.

Thanks!
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Join the Byn or AoD if you want to head down south and get yourself back into the groove.

The noble houses in both city-states are highly active from the immortal job pages, so I'd consider trying out one of those as a guard as well.

Welcome back. I remember you!

Tdesc.  Temporary description.  Use it.  Love it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Welcome back.  Put/get all is a cool command.

April 26, 2009, 03:11:14 PM #4 Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:21:15 PM by mansa
>emote waves at ~templar.tall.muscular
You wave at the tall, muscular templar.

You have less fudging around with keywords, now.

>get all.white.feathers chest

You can now "get all" of specific types

>hide
>sneak
>n

You can remain hidden as you move from room to room, thus preventing NPCs from auto-attacking you as you enter their room.

There is a tribe of city elves in Tuluk of which you can play / join.
http://armageddon.org/ic/#Akai%20Sjir

A very nice document has been updated here:
http://www.armageddon.org/general/beasts.html

Corpses retain their main description.

Brewing Alcohol is available for certain clans.

UnderTuluk is now a starting area and has been revamped slightly.

You can sell poop that animals drop.

Guarding or Following someone who is sitting at a table while you are standing gives you a chance to overhear the conversation at that table.

A kadian shop has been added to Luir's Outpost.

You can pick cotton in Tuluk as a minor job.

An email will be sent when your character dies.

Hunger/Thirst messages in score should better match warnings - You will notice yourself go hungry and thirsty more frequently as of this change.

Scroll/book titles are keywords (for those who can read)

Mounts run when you force them to flee.

Cloaks can be opened/closed ( http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,33924.0.html )

"gone" does not remove hiding status

Watch, Scan, Listen now use stun points when active.  Other skills, such as combat skills, also use movement points when using them.

And that's mostly since January!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The kanks are dead and the gith attacked (and got attacked). You can forget about Red Storm East.

You're the man, TLH. One of my favorites to play with.

We're all the richer. :)
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

April 26, 2009, 06:00:41 PM #7 Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:03:10 PM by The Lonely Hunter
Thanks for the quick advice and updates! Wow, a lot has changed but it all seems very cool!

Edited to add:

Nice to see some familiar faces. ;)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Welcome back, dude.  Just came back recently myself :)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

April 26, 2009, 07:23:21 PM #9 Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:25:07 PM by sarahjc
OMG I love T-desc. It's beyond Pathetic that I didn't know about it. What I get for not readinig the boards. So.. my new Fav thing now.

Oh, yeah.. and welcome back Lonely hunter. I've missed you.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

It's great to see more people coming back!
You quit before I started, so I don't remember you though. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Hey, I think I remember you too.

Anyways, dito on the tdesc bumping.

Yep. Borsail and RSE got their faces both ate respectively (check the timeline for brief details)

Also, there's new life breathed into a certain bar in the rinth (which in turn backstabbed the life out of everyone else, naturally). New randomly active "crew" there and easier obtainable spice. If you're a rinth man.

Yeah open/close cloak to let you hide your shirt, belt, and weapons on said belt.

In the political realm of things, Allanak and Tuluk have (or had?) a cease fire agreement. Not sure if that still holds, but honestly I haven't seen it affect ANYTHING as far as my lot in life as a commoner is concerned.

Also, there's a new city state. And I am king. Bitchez.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I feel like such a newb again :P So many things have changed but I think I'm getting a grasp on them despite my poor luck with a very short life-span.
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Have absolutely no time to play these days and should be asleep instead of reading these boards, caught up in a massive fit of nostalgia.

These account handles do ring a bell, I must say.

;)
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Heh. It's great to see you back, man.

The wildlife around Allanak got changed again (or maybe multiple times, depending on how long you've been gone).

I remember you! Welcome back! Just came back from a long absence myself, and, while it seems harder to find people down South these days, I can say that the game rocks more than it ever did.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Long breaks strain the memory. Or at least for myself it does. I had been gone for a year or more, possibly... And I'll tell you what, all these new changes make my head hurt.

For instance, I didn't know that there was a tdesc. Or feel. Or mood. I still have trouble sometimes whipping out emotes, and they're definitely not the quality they used to be (and I tend to use a lot of the same terminology as I struggle  :-[)

But yeah. Things will mellow after a while. At any rate, welcome back!
<Blank> says, out of character:
     "OW!  Afk a moment, my chair just...broke, beneath me."

It'll come back to you. It is coming back for me, after all, and I've been away much longer.

Reading the GDB and going through the weekly changes thoroughly was essential. Going through plenty of the help files was a great idea too. I'm just getting into the swing of solid RP again, because I've played games for so long that didn't require any! :D

Good luck TLH :D

Seems as if alot of us old guys are coming back. Hell it's kinda weird coming back after almost... what? Four or five years. It's still the best game I've ever played.
Don't listen to me, I'm only a newb.

Same here.  Took 6ish years off myself.  And it has been real interesting learning new stuff.  I -just- learned about tdesc and what it was today after reading this post and doing some helpfile reading! 

The progress that the game has made in that time really is interesting to behold. 

I have come to realize though that this really is an addiction.  While I was able to put it down for all those years, once I picked it back up I can't get enough!
Nothing to see here

I stopped playing because I lost my computer IRL, when I finally got a new one I started playing WoW... Now I'm bored with that and this place is still awesome as hell. I caught myself saying "Feck and Drov" at work the other day...
Don't listen to me, I'm only a newb.