Scrambling for Purchase

Started by elvenchipmunk, April 21, 2009, 11:34:54 PM

When you are falling, and you type down, it says you scramble for purchase. However, every time you try and scramble for purchase, you will lose more hitpoints and stun when you finally hit the ground. I don't think this should be the case. You be able to scramble for purchase as much as you want, with the same delays and everything, but no hitpoint or stun loss. I figure you would lose more hp and stun if you were free falling, than if you were trying to slow yourself down.

Does this not make sense?
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

HP loss from scrambling for purchase is your character scraping their hands raw on rough-edged rock, banging their body against the cliff-wall, and getting their arms nearly yanked out of socket by trying to catch their entire weight out of a free fall.

Free falling doesn't hurt until you hit the ground.

Two minutes to view the topic and write a response? Geez ;D

I know what you're saying. But at the very least, I think scrambling for purchase should not cause so much HP and stun damage. You can scramble for purchase maybe once or twice, anymore than that, you would likely die from a two-room fall. Anyways, those are my thoughts. Discuss what you like.
-Winston Churchill

*blows smoke from her fingers*

I could get down with less hp/stun damage, but I think having it there does make sense.

Yeah, it does make sense, but the stun damage the last few times it's happened to my PCs does seem a little out-of-proportion.

I don't have logs on me right now, but I seem to recall losing almost the same amount of stun while scrambling for purchase once as I did after actually landing at the bottom of a two-room fall. The loss still wasn't significant enough to knock my PC out, but I was surprised at how much stun it cost.

However, I suspect that's because it's a randomised roll with a very wide range, not because it was designed to take down that much stun.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

You know what I hate?

>HP 130 MV 115 ST 130

You try to climb up but slip.

You fall on your neck.

Your vision goes black.

>HP 90 MV 110 ST 0

What's even more amazing is that with stats like that, one could survive a four room drop.

Another of my pet peeves with climbing, yeah.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 22, 2009, 12:04:03 AM
You know what I hate?

>HP 130 MV 115 ST 130

You try to climb up but slip.

You fall on your neck.

Your vision goes black.

>HP 90 MV 110 ST 0

What's even more amazing is that with stats like that, one could survive a four room drop.

but in reality falling on your neck kills so shut your pie-hole.

Quote from: Agent_137 on April 22, 2009, 12:37:17 AM

but in reality falling on your neck kills so shut your pie-hole.

In fact, there are several different possible results of breaking one's neck here in the real world.
(although, death is one)
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

I think falling on your neck is the problem. When was the last time you fell on your neck? That would be so hard to do on accident. This is why we need a wounds code, with broken limbs. And less fail-tastic climbing system, that when you fail to climb, you simply don't go up. Critical failure should make you fall. And critical fails should be based more on your stamina then your skill...

Yeah I think that's all.

Just as a note...shouldn't scrambling for purchase actually still kind of help in most scenarios aside from the random bad luck land on your neck type?

Even if you are getting battered and scraped while grabbing and clawing at the sides of whatever sheer (or not completely sheer) face you're falling beside...you're no longer freefalling.  You're now serving to slow your fall, so over all, you may end up taking the same amount of damage/stun throughout the fall, but less on that landing at the bottom due to less velocity.

So in other words...scrambling for purchase, imo, should only be a -detriment- to your plight on the case that you get the equivalent of a landing on the neck.  As is, scrambling for purchase will almost always increase the damage of the fall unless you succeed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I think what Armaddict said is what I meant to say. When you're scrambling for purchase, you are no longer free-falling, and are in fact slowing your fall down by clawing at that wall.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: elvenchipmunk on April 22, 2009, 03:48:41 PM
I think what Armaddict said is what I meant to say. When you're scrambling for purchase, you are no longer free-falling, and are in fact slowing your fall down by clawing at that wall.

Totally....a scrap on your hand or your arm is not comparable to increased moment/freefall and SMASH
Veteran Newbie

Lol, falling on your neck is only one example. Anyone ever fall on their backs? Trust me, falling on a spine from even 5 feet would technically cripple you, the equivalent of a KO IC. I don't care if you're Mike Tyson.. if you fall on your spine from 10 feet up (1 room?), you should easily be KO'ed. Or bumping your head on something. It makes sense, though, for the times I've seen it happen.

I think that scrambling for purchase should do the same damage, but the damage hitting the ground should count as if you're falling from the same room where you tried to scramble for purchase.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I love the falling/gravity code in Arm. I don't want to see it changed.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli