Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

There are tools you can use to make it more likely you incapacitate them rather than killing them. If you're actually trying to do so, you should make use of them.

"Kill" tells the game you want to kill someone. "Mercy on" means you do not want to attack anyone who's already been incapacitated. There's a realistic narrow gap between the two, especially if you're using axes or swords or bows. It's absurd to think it's so simple to fight mercifully. With guns, it's not a matter of "just aiming for the legs." I expect something similar is true for all weapons.

Maybe mercy can be infallible if you're a master at the weapon you're using. Otherwise, no.

December 20, 2010, 12:18:12 AM #1301 Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:26:38 AM by X-D
First off, yes, everybody knows that, but we are not talking guns, real life or even realism, we are talking RP.

Being a master in a weapon helps in one direction and hurts in another by the way. My PCs with a weapon mastery were actually far more likely to kill even with mercy on simply because of how much damage they did in a swing.

The tools as you say, to help make it easier to not kill also don't work often enough to even be mentioned. And again, I'm not even talking about that, I'm more talking about intent to kill but being that it is a ROLEPLAY mud, the ability to give that last bit of roleplay for both sides.

Still, ignoring all of that stuff, I, the player should be the one to decide if an accident did in fact happen,  But even barring that, if you could have mercy stop from a PC going below like I said, -8 is a good number, no matter the attack, it allows that final bit of RP for both parties. Specially when using magick (which mercy is worthless on) Ranged, Mercy also worthless there, oh and the couple poisons that you think would stop that problem work so rarely that you will usually kill the PC before they work. Backstab, mercy does not work at all because if your backstab would kill the PC mercy will not even let you try, so somebody with the skill is forced by code to leave it off.

Many people have mentioned before how much they would love to have a point before actual death where they could do that final think, emote, feel. This would almost always allow it.  And from the attackers side it allows that final emote etc as well.

And really, who exactly is it hurting to have an infallible mercy code? I think the current mercy code is outdated, it is from a time when most players thought hack and slash and it was helpful to RP to have code in which accidents can happen. But I think most arm players today are past the need for such a thing and mercy should be changed to facilitate roleplay instead of ending it prematurely.

Or hell, failing all of the above, put in a command, let us call it ending, then add in -10 through -15 HP, if you have ending toggled on you will stop combat at -10, then have it so a PC cannot come back from neg 10 and will tick down 1 HP per RL minute and expire at -15.

I once had a PC, due to a certain bug go to -21, and though he was dead, I was able to get off a couple emotes and a think before final death...and honestly, I think it was the best death any of my PCs ever had. The other players got in the final emotes as well, PC still dead, nobody harmed woohoo.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I think infallible mercy may have negative repercussions.

The consequences for 'accidentally' killing a fellow bynner while sparring would likely rise, as people would know OOC'ly that it was intended.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I understand the desire to have moments of closure on death and the like, but infallible mercy isn't the way to do it. There are too many other repercussions.

I think the desire for a "dead, but aware" zone after you reach -10 hp has been suggested before, and I agree with it.

I definitely do not want to see people changing their behavior regarding deadly combat, which I feel would be the result of a change to the mercy code.

See, and that has always been a problem with arm, specially compared to other RPI, lack of trust in the fellow player.

I've actually been trusting my fellow player more, and a revamped mercy code just continues that. The arguement on sparring accidents holds no water anyway, there is no way for you to know now if the person had mercy on or not and you could easily assume it was off now. And OOC should remain OOC, giving trust to players should be more then karma.

Like when I play a raider, just 5 years ago playing a raider was tough because the player maturity level was rather low, 75% of the time the target would just spam away. Now though, the maturity is higher, 85% will stay and play out the scenes with emotes and says etc, no use of code at all. Now, let us continue fostering that trust in the players by allowing RP in death or near death etc. I mean hell, as so many of you are quick to point out, if somebody abuses it, there is always player complaint via request tool.

Sure, there are repercussions, all of them good.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

December 20, 2010, 01:51:03 PM #1305 Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:54:13 PM by Titania
Quote from: X-D on December 18, 2010, 11:54:18 PM
I want mercy to be infallible.

It is a RPI let us decide when the mistakes happen.

At least then I can toss in a cool emote or something. It really bugs me, there is no reason why mercy on can't set it so you cannot knock somebody below say -8hp.

Completely agree. It may not be completely realistic, but the enhancement to RP would more than make up for it.

What about crim flag not taking effect for 1 ic hour after combat initiates unless there is a NPC nearby of course?

I agree with X-D.  Entirely.  it's been proposed several times over the years, and it literally takes nothing away from the game.

watch man east

You begin watching the tall, muscular man far to the east.

I hate catching sight of things then rapidly loosing them.  If I can see them, can't I watch them?

Brawling everywhere!
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

That k wouldn't default to kiss and would instead default to "key".

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FuSoYa on December 22, 2010, 11:10:52 AM

Brandon

alias k key
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

For 'sing' dialogue lines to be longer. I want my songs to be four lines with each 'sing' thank you very much. :(

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2010, 02:47:19 PM
For 'sing' dialogue lines to be longer. I want my songs to be four lines with each 'sing' thank you very much. :(

You can break up your song into multiple lines by using '|', '/' or '\'. There is a limit of five lines per use of the sing command (so you can do at most four seperators in a line).

help sing
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 23, 2010, 02:36:46 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on December 22, 2010, 11:10:52 AM

Brandon

alias k key

That's the FIRST thing I do... normally after I accidentally kiss someone.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: Potaje on December 23, 2010, 03:10:49 PM

You can break up your song into multiple lines by using '|', '/' or '\'. There is a limit of five lines per use of the sing command (so you can do at most four seperators in a line).

help sing

Strumming your guitar, you sing, in sihirish:
"There once was a man on a rock
He spent all his time raising a flock
The one day a wolf came by
And caused his flock to go..."

That's what I meant by logner lines. Not an actualy example but you know what I mean.

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 23, 2010, 03:30:17 PM
Quote from: Potaje on December 23, 2010, 03:10:49 PM

help sing

Strumming your guitar, you sing, in sihirish:
"There once was a man on a rock
He spent all his time raising a flock
The one day a wolf came by
And caused his flock to go..."

That's what I meant by logner lines. Not an actualy example but you know what I mean.

Yes, Yes.. I can fully get behind this thought. Can really kill a song.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

RTW: For the background section in character creation to have no/a much higher character limit.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on December 25, 2010, 07:50:00 PM
RTW: For the background section in character creation to have no/a much higher character limit.

Yes, please.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

ldesc limit really gets on my nerves lately

Quote from: spicemustflow on December 26, 2010, 11:33:22 PM
ldesc limit really gets on my nerves lately

I pick short sdesc's for this very reason, never had a problem.

You atramental, silver-green-eyed woman/man make the sacrifice.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on December 26, 2010, 11:39:41 PM

lol. from now on I'll be "the man"

Quote from: spicemustflow on December 26, 2010, 11:53:17 PM
Quote from: Majikal on December 26, 2010, 11:39:41 PM

lol. from now on I'll be "the man"

With a description like that, you don't NEED a long ldesc!  Just:

>change ldesc is here.

Your new ldesc is:
The man is here.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Instead of change ldesc is here, setting up a scaffolding.

You can save a lot of character limit just going

change ldesc sets up scaffolding here.

The "Here" isn't even necessary, considering everyone knows you're in that area.

People who are on the rentee list being able to get the key when they follow someone who is also on the rent list through the room with the landlord or lady.
Being able to open containers while resting? - That's sort of a maybe, but the top one, omg. :<
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.