Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

Quote from: Old Kank on August 09, 2010, 10:55:40 AM
More apartments, and more size/price variations.  Also, when an apartment becomes available all items from inside should be automatically cleared out.

It's kind of ridiculous that when I see an available apartment, my first thought is, "I should rent that now because even though my character doesn't need it and can barely afford it, that will be easier than finding an available apartment later..."

We do look at adding apartments to areas as needed.  Currently the average vacancy between Nak and Tuluk is about 35%, and neither is below 25% vacancy.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

The problem with that Vanth, is that in Tuluk, 2 buildings, making up that 35% are unwanted by the playerbase. Sure, they are cheap, but the ease of robbing them makes it pointless to pay the rent and should not even be considered as PC dwellings. The same applies to about the same number of apartments in nak, which only exist to work certain skills.

Oh, I know staff maybe does not feel that way, but the price is too high and they have all the security of dropping your gear in one of the refuse piles.

I'm betting if you take those units out of your survey you will find that apartments in both cities pass the 99% used mark.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Face it, Vanth, they all want (and can afford) more apartments like the Tuluki penthouses.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Heh, those apartments should cost 4 times what they do.

If I had my way, the ones with door descs that look like this.

This sheet of cardboard is being held closed by a rubber band.

Should cost 20-50 coins per IC month.

The ones with this...

This door looks like it could hold back the dragon himself, the lock is a pure work of art.

Should start at 3000 for a single room and go up by 1000 for every room past that.

And 1 more middle class building should be put into both cities.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Subguild: Sentry

Granting the skills Scan and Listen.

I think it might be neat if some apartment buildings were selective about renters in ways other than who can afford to pay. Other relevant factors might be things like race, citizenship, occupation, and societal status in general. (Would that be difficult to put in place? Maybe but in RTW we have the luxury of not having to worry about that sort of thing.) I wouldn't be surprised if this is already in place in some form already, but if so, I wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

One plus about this is that it might make the best apartments more available (at least, to the people to whom they should be available).

One of the problems I have with the apartment system that's in place now is that it makes money and status synonymous in ways i don't think they should be in either city-state.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Vanth on August 10, 2010, 11:17:51 PM
Quote from: Old Kank on August 09, 2010, 10:55:40 AM
More apartments, and more size/price variations.  Also, when an apartment becomes available all items from inside should be automatically cleared out.

It's kind of ridiculous that when I see an available apartment, my first thought is, "I should rent that now because even though my character doesn't need it and can barely afford it, that will be easier than finding an available apartment later..."

We do look at adding apartments to areas as needed.  Currently the average vacancy between Nak and Tuluk is about 35%, and neither is below 25% vacancy.

Vanth,

At the time I wrote that, in the commoner's quarter of Allanak, 29/30 apartments were occupied, for whatever that's worth.  I looked today and saw a few more vacancies, which only makes me more suspicious that a lot of people are just playing apartment roulette and looking to score easy loot.

Why not try and keep the vacancy at 65-75%?  I can't think of many drawbacks to that, except for a possible drain on system resources.

Quote from: Blackisback on August 11, 2010, 09:18:07 PM
Subguild: Sentry

And direction sense!

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 12, 2010, 05:14:21 AM
Quote from: Blackisback on August 11, 2010, 09:18:07 PMSubguild: Sentry

And direction sense!
The only classes and subclasses to get direction sense are people that go outside and navigate the wastes, not those that stand in one spot and look for anything threatening that spot.  No.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

scales in a shop where you can weigh equipment / items for a free..

show the weight of the item in a shop when you VIEW it
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: spawnloser on August 12, 2010, 05:59:23 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on August 12, 2010, 05:14:21 AM
Quote from: Blackisback on August 11, 2010, 09:18:07 PMSubguild: Sentry

And direction sense!
The only classes and subclasses to get direction sense are people that go outside and navigate the wastes, not those that stand in one spot and look for anything threatening that spot.  No.

Should get guard, too.

Quote from: Dakota on August 12, 2010, 08:37:26 AM

This already happens if you have the value skill.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 12, 2010, 12:09:06 PM
Quote from: Dakota on August 12, 2010, 08:37:26 AM

This already happens if you have the value skill.

Would be great if you could at least get a ballpark estimate even without the value skill.

I'm sure merchants would like to be able to "ballpark" parry, but that ain't gonna happen.

Welcome to class-based gaming.

I would like to see purchasable scales in game that you can use to weigh items.
The man wears his heavy war-saddle on his back, covering a tattoo

Crawling up on all fours, the man sits on a sturdy bed

The man sends you a telepathic message:
     "Alright, you got to tame a wild one today."

Have a place at the beginning of bio to enter and edit goals...short,medium and long.  Save cluttering up objective

bio add My Goals

My character's long term goals are...

But in the short term, to achieve these goals...

~

?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: solera on August 13, 2010, 04:48:34 PM
Have a place at the beginning of bio to enter and edit goals...short,medium and long.  Save cluttering up objective
Quote from: Wolfsong on August 13, 2010, 04:57:44 PM
bio add My Goals

My character's long term goals are...

But in the short term, to achieve these goals...

~

?

Bio is NOT to be used as a scratchpad/memopad.  Bio is supposed to be in-character all the time.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

How are your characters goals and motivations not IC?

Quote from: mansa on August 14, 2010, 12:14:01 AM
Bio is supposed to be in-character all the time.

What do you mean by that? If you mean the goals Wolfsong refers to have to be IC goals if they appear in a bio entry, I agree.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: flurry on August 14, 2010, 01:25:15 AM
Quote from: mansa on August 14, 2010, 12:14:01 AM
Bio is supposed to be in-character all the time.

What do you mean by that? If you mean the goals Wolfsong refers to have to be IC goals if they appear in a bio entry, I agree.

It's obvious. There should be NO OOC in a BIO entry. Period.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Which means if your goals and such are IC, go ahead and write 'em in.

But be creative about it.

Instead of: "Amos' short-term goal is to make it with that hooker that looks like his mom. Amos' long-term goal is to kill Lord Templar Fancy Pants."

Write it out as if it were piece of your background.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 14, 2010, 01:22:02 AM
How are your characters goals and motivations not IC?

I think mansa is referring to the wording "my character's".
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

When I use the Bio tool, I use it whatever way makes the most sense, is the most helpful to me, and is the most satisfying/enjoyable. 
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Single handed weapon skill plz.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"