Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

June 09, 2010, 08:42:12 PM #550 Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:44:17 PM by BlackMagic0
I only use three emotes.

pem
em
hem

And they tend to get things done, just fine.

Though hem target would make it even more awesome.

its weird doing this:
contact dude
psi watch me

Start making offers to Morg! I offer my first born for hem targeted!!
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: Synthesis on June 09, 2010, 04:47:41 AM
Quote from: Old Kank on June 08, 2010, 09:29:43 PM
oemote:  An emote that takes a basic offense vs. defense + modifier roll check into account.  If successful, your emote goes through; if it fails, everyone gets a generic failure message.

Make it targeted, like the tell command, and limited to one character or make your chances of failure increase exponentially for each target in the emote.

I'd say this would be a good thing, but having seen how retarded the brawling code can be sometimes...I'm going to have to say that base O and D are pretty poor indicators of someone's combat prowess.  Besides which, there are many physical things that have nothing to do with

I'm not exactly sure what a "generic failure message" would look like, anyway.  I'd suggest that you be able to use the () and [] syntax to emote your own success/failure emote...but then retards would either a) screw up the () and [] placement, inadvertently reversing their success/fail emotes; b) intentionally reverse the emotes when they know they're going to fail/succeed, but want the opposite outcome; or c) make the success and fail emotes virtually identical, so they appear to succeed regardless of the actual outcome.  This would also be a bit kludgy and slow, unless you're the sort of person who can construct and type emotes very quickly.

I agree that off/def aren't complete indicators, but if a more robust system of checks were implemented, I'd be afraid of people using it to gauge their odds of beating so-and-so in a fight.  Then again, maybe that's kind of realistic.

A generic failure message could be something like, "The tall, muscular man tried to make an aggressive move against you, but you deftly avoid them." 

Somewhat related, not-so-tiny want:  I would love to see a system where people could predefine a set of combat messages that could be randomly used by the code alongside the hard-coded deft parries and dodges.

Your combat messages are:
Dodge1: emote swiftly dodges ~ <attack>
Dodge2: emote Smirking, @ leans back, narrowly dodging ~ <attack>
Dodge3: <default>

Parry1: emote Smirking deftly, @ flips backward, and then easily parries % attack with a flick of <ep>
Parry2: <default>
Parry3: <default>

etc...

June 09, 2010, 09:34:14 PM #552 Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:41:45 PM by Nyr
The Descending Sun game was created with combat emotes in mind, allowing players to use the code to attack someone (head shot, body shot, legs) with a generic message describing a hit or miss.  The player then fleshed it out with an emote describing the hit or miss as needed.  The entire system is generic and can be applied elsewhere but I haven't really put any time into working on any conversions yet.

edited to include a few extra details, you can read the helpfile if you want.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 07, 2010, 04:17:24 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on June 07, 2010, 04:14:30 PM
Anyways, a random tiny want is to allow more than 2 people on a lease. When did that go in?

I don't know, but honestly, it kinda pisses me off. It's like... nonmonogamous mates and overcrowded living conditions... but you literally cut the number of people that can be on a lease in half? WTF?

There were always limits, but the code wasn't working.  In buildings where there are apartments of more than 2 rooms, more than 2 renters are allowed.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: Nyr on June 08, 2010, 08:52:34 AM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 08, 2010, 08:37:30 AM
I know it used to be 4 at one of the better buildings in tuluk. I had 3 people on the lease, perhaps even 4. And I recall having the same a little later. Last I recall of having 3-4 on a lease was October of 08.

After another quick check, at least 5 buildings in-game allow more than 2 renters per room.  They are generally among the better apartment complexes.

Ah. That's kind of cool then -- The nicer the complex, the more rooms there are, the more renters can be on the lease. It might be nice if the language the landlord used wasn't "I can only keep track of two renters" to "I will only allow 2 renters for this apartment", as it seemed like an across the board sort of thing. And if it was checkable before renting.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I wish scan and listen weren't so utterly defeated by hide and sneak.  I mean, really...even when you've got the shit mastered, you can't ever spot anything other than complete newbs and the occasional shitty NPC.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 11, 2010, 03:02:50 AM
I wish scan and listen weren't so utterly defeated by hide and sneak.  I mean, really...even when you've got the shit mastered, you can't ever spot anything other than complete newbs and the occasional shitty NPC.

I dunno, I kinda like it as is for scan.  I've had scan to the point where I could pick out people who definitely had it higher, but it just wasn't reliable, which I took as 'even ground'.  Listen vs. sneak, yeah.  Pretty weak.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 13, 2010, 07:20:24 PM
I wish people would also get a 'gone' message when trying to way someone or emote at them, and allow them to look at you, but have a line at the bottom along the line of 'He/she is gone <message>' under the condition line and above the equipment line. This may or may not be largely personal bias, but I wind up having to go afk at least 1/hour anytime I'm logged in. And that's just for smoke breaks. Not accounting for needing to walk a dog, emergency phone calls, family calling me afk, etc. And all of the above tend to happen at least 1/rl day when I'm logged in.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Vanth on June 09, 2010, 10:50:49 PM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 07, 2010, 04:17:24 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on June 07, 2010, 04:14:30 PM
Anyways, a random tiny want is to allow more than 2 people on a lease. When did that go in?

I don't know, but honestly, it kinda pisses me off. It's like... nonmonogamous mates and overcrowded living conditions... but you literally cut the number of people that can be on a lease in half? WTF?

There were always limits, but the code wasn't working.  In buildings where there are apartments of more than 2 rooms, more than 2 renters are allowed.

If we find cases where this isn't working, should we submit it somehow?
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Sure, pop in a request for that.

That (for clarification) would be any apartment complex in which there are more than 2 rooms and 2+ renters are not allowed.  Please include the sdesc of the apartment master (the dude or dudette at the entrance).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

A coded sobriety test.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 14, 2010, 02:48:01 PM
Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on June 14, 2010, 02:08:42 PM
A coded sobriety test.

sniff amos
He reeks of alcohol.

Nah, we need something more and demonstratable.... Like trying to touch your finger to your nose with an outstretched arm.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

Quote from: Xeran Van Houten on June 14, 2010, 02:58:03 PM
Nah, we need something more and demonstratable.... Like trying to touch your finger to your nose with an outstretched arm.

> give club amos
> tell amos (spitting at ^amos feet) Hit me.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Or "Walk in and out the room ten times without falling over, Amos."

The soldiers at the gates of Allanak should ask you to perform a sobriety test in addition to a spice check, if you are riding. Then crim-flag you if you are "riding under the influence".

This is my tiny want. Totally serious too. Totally.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Addition to clan cooks:

give cook meat

The cook takes the meat and says, "I'll be able to add this to the menu."

ask cook help

The cook says, "I can offer you stale bread, burnt tubers, or scrab steak."

---------------------------------------

give cook meat

The cook takes the meat and says, "I can't cook this."

The cook gives you the meat back.

--------------------------------------

The more of a particular meat/vegetable you give to your clan cook the more they will be able to offer items containing that ingredient. If you don't keep your cook supplied you will probably be stuck eating stale bread.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on June 16, 2010, 06:31:17 PM
Addition to clan cooks:

give cook meat

Excellent idea; however:
The cook shouts, in sirihish,
  "Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!"

Yeah, I really don't think hunting clans need -more- excuses to spam hunt.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Honestly think it would be a drop in the water compared tot he ammount that do it out of boredom.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 16, 2010, 07:57:51 PM
Yeah, I really don't think hunting clans need -more- excuses to spam hunt.

I'd agree some but, being from a "hunting clan" we rarely hunt. I see more non-clanned out than anything.

(hope that is not to IC)
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

junk all.intestine trunk

You junk 93 bloody intestines from a gwoshi-carved trunk.

Quote from: WagonsHo on June 19, 2010, 07:34:50 AM
junk all.intestine trunk

You junk 93 bloody intestines from a gwoshi-carved trunk.

For folks who don't know, the way to do this is:
   get all.intestine trunk
   junk all.intestine

It'll sit there and get->junk each one in turn...but you have to be really quick on the second command; like, copy-and-paste quick.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on June 19, 2010, 12:42:17 PM
   junk all.intestine

I don't believe that command works.  My current work around is...

get all.intestine trunk
junk intestine
[then press up arrow and hit enter repeatedly]

I spam the junk command faster than I'm getting items from the trunk.  Works fine, but ... clunky.  And spammy.

"junk all.intestine trunk" would be much better.