Random Tiny CODE Wants

Started by daedroug, April 21, 2009, 11:25:21 PM

The only real purpose I see behind clan boards is to arrange RPT's. It'd be cool if the GDB adjusted your 'account posting' to be your character's name, or you could somehow have it post under a different identity without logging out/in.

So, I , Reiloth enter my clan board and make a post, it comes up as "Soandso" makes the post.

Anyways, a random tiny want is to allow more than 2 people on a lease. When did that go in?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on June 07, 2010, 04:14:30 PM
The only real purpose I see behind clan boards is to arrange RPT's. It'd be cool if the GDB adjusted your 'account posting' to be your character's name, or you could somehow have it post under a different identity without logging out/in.

So, I , Reiloth enter my clan board and make a post, it comes up as "Soandso" makes the post.

Anyways, a random tiny want is to allow more than 2 people on a lease. When did that go in?

I don't know, but honestly, it kinda pisses me off. It's like... nonmonogamous mates and overcrowded living conditions... but you literally cut the number of people that can be on a lease in half? WTF?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Wow, it's been it's been a year or more since I rented an apartment, but considering the nature of how Zalanthan commoners are suppose to live, that seems pretty shitty.  All but the richest of your non-magicker-or-other-secret-to-hide commoner should be begging for roommates.  I doubt very seriously if the average vNPC apartment had less than half a dozen tenants (not including young children).

Not to mention that it makes it where PCs are going to have LESS of a chance to find an apartment (already a problem much discussed before this change) since fewer people will be able to share.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Only having 2 people per lease is rather annoying. I don't think it should be in and goes against most things about zalanthas I see or have done in backgrounds.

I figure most families squeeze in with 1-2 others, since no common VNPCs could afford 500+ sid.
Some even more..

So.. I don't know.. Silliest add to the game if you ask me. Let us have how many we wish.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Considering the maximum PC family size is 4 the lease limit should at least be 4.

It kind of makes business sense for Nenyuk to limit leases. Landlords IRL would rather have less people living in their units for a variety of reasons, not the least of which include maintenance costs and renting more units to people, thus getting more money overall.

Quote from: Cutthroat on June 07, 2010, 08:52:08 PM
Considering the maximum PC family size is 4 the lease limit should at least be 4.

It kind of makes business sense for Nenyuk to limit leases. Landlords IRL would rather have less people living in their units for a variety of reasons, not the least of which include maintenance costs and renting more units to people, thus getting more money overall.

Right, but in a land of few coded apartments, it makes little sense.

Either increase the amount of coded apartments, or increase the limit on the lease. Srsly.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The ability for those of great wealth to pay an npc templar at the arena for fights.  Better, more fantastic creatures/fighters costs more.

Perhaps an expansion allowing for their own gladiators to be entered.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on June 08, 2010, 01:35:32 AM
The ability for those of great wealth to pay an npc templar at the arena for fights.  Better, more fantastic creatures/fighters costs more.

Sprrrroing!
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on June 08, 2010, 05:18:19 AM

Sprrrroing!
Are you trying to imitate the sound of a cartoony erection?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 08, 2010, 05:27:40 AM
Quote from: Spice Spice Baby on June 08, 2010, 05:18:19 AM

Sprrrroing!
Are you trying to imitate the sound of a cartoony erection?

You caught me.
Quote from: Oryxin a land...where nothing is as it seems
lol
wait wait
in a harsh desert..wait
in a world...where everything's out to kill you
one man (or woman) stands sort of alone
only not really
lol
KURAC

June 08, 2010, 08:27:07 AM #535 Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:32:12 AM by Nyr

I don't believe this ever "went in."  Some (most) apartments only allow 2 renters.  This could be reviewed.

If you're talking about Red Storm, well...plenty of good reason for that.  

Quote from: Reiloth on June 07, 2010, 09:14:43 PM

Either increase the amount of coded apartments, or increase the limit on the lease. Srsly.

Few coded apartments?  This is untrue.

edit:  with stats, since we have those readily available with the right tools.
41% (20) of the apartments in Tuluk are empty; even if you take out the circle-only apartments, you have 12 available apartments.
39% (14) of the apartments in Allanak are empty.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 08, 2010, 08:27:07 AM

I don't believe this ever "went in."  Some (most) apartments only allow 2 renters.  This could be reviewed.

If you're talking about Red Storm, well...plenty of good reason for that. 

Quote from: Reiloth on June 07, 2010, 09:14:43 PM

Few coded apartments?  This is untrue.

edit:  with stats, since we have those readily available with the right tools.
41% (20) of the apartments in Tuluk are empty; even if you take out the circle-only apartments, you have 12 available apartments.

I know it used to be 4 at one of the better buildings in tuluk. I had 3 people on the lease, perhaps even 4. And I recall having the same a little later. Last I recall of having 3-4 on a lease was October of 08.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 08, 2010, 08:37:30 AM
I know it used to be 4 at one of the better buildings in tuluk. I had 3 people on the lease, perhaps even 4. And I recall having the same a little later. Last I recall of having 3-4 on a lease was October of 08.

After another quick check, at least 5 buildings in-game allow more than 2 renters per room.  They are generally among the better apartment complexes.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on June 08, 2010, 08:27:07 AM

A chunk of those are abomination-only...maybe not codedly, but a body could theoretically get in trouble.

This doesn't invalidate your number or really mean anything, but the opportunity to have a quasi-complaint with both gemmers and apartments in it was too much for me to pass up.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Closed cloaks hiding shoulder tattoos.

There's really no scenario where having a cloak drawn about yourself tightly (ie closed) that would leave your upper arms visible. And even should there be, 9 times outa 10 whatever top your wearing beneath your cloak would have enough of a sleeve on it to cover your upper arms anyway.

It's always awkward when you have some sort of distinctive marking on your upper arm (which, really... the "location" says shoulder, but who would ever get a tattoo on their actual shoulder?) that someone points out, even though you're wearing a closed cloak and a long sleeve shirt beneath it.
Squinting at the such-and-such dwarf, the so-and-so woman asks, in sirihish:
     "You put jam in your peenee hole to keep from making baby juice?"

All non-Allanak bartenders should have this script:

> buy light

You pay 1 obsidian coin to the bartender for a light.

With suave efficiency, a bartender leans forward, offering you <whatever is appropriate for the bar:  the flame of a small candle; a glowing ember box; a twig lit from a nearby torch; some freshly lit tinder; a sickly yellow tallow candle>.

> emote cranes toward ~bartender, extending ~tube into the flame while puffing enthusiastically.

> smoke tube

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

oemote:  An emote that takes a basic offense vs. defense + modifier roll check into account.  If successful, your emote goes through; if it fails, everyone gets a generic failure message.

Make it targeted, like the tell command, and limited to one character or make your chances of failure increase exponentially for each target in the emote.

Quote from: Old Kank on June 08, 2010, 09:29:43 PM
oemote:  An emote that takes a basic offense vs. defense + modifier roll check into account.  If successful, your emote goes through; if it fails, everyone gets a generic failure message.

Make it targeted, like the tell command, and limited to one character or make your chances of failure increase exponentially for each target in the emote.

omg, I'd love a poweremote command.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

I'd say this would be a good thing, but having seen how retarded the brawling code can be sometimes...I'm going to have to say that base O and D are pretty poor indicators of someone's combat prowess.  Besides which, there are many physical things that have nothing to do with

I'm not exactly sure what a "generic failure message" would look like, anyway.  I'd suggest that you be able to use the () and [] syntax to emote your own success/failure emote...but then retards would either a) screw up the () and [] placement, inadvertently reversing their success/fail emotes; b) intentionally reverse the emotes when they know they're going to fail/succeed, but want the opposite outcome; or c) make the success and fail emotes virtually identical, so they appear to succeed regardless of the actual outcome.  This would also be a bit kludgy and slow, unless you're the sort of person who can construct and type emotes very quickly.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

June 09, 2010, 12:38:48 PM #544 Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:43:37 PM by creepyguy
oemote:  An emote that takes a basic offense vs. defense + modifier roll check into account.  If successful, your emote goes through; if it fails, everyone gets a generic failure message.

I think I mentioned this in the sparring thread, but I'll repeat it here. Something similar to the ooc roll command in SoI would be nice. Where you can roll against any skill or stat and see the result yourself, or add occ and have it echoed to the room, also the command can be used the same way for random number generators such as 1d6, 2d10, whatever you need for your purposes.

You could use this with say offense, then your opponent could do one for defence and each emote accordingly. If there was a way that skills/stats could be compared and tested between two characters, there'd have to be some kind of consent or permission given by the targeted party to avoid spamming of it to gauge someone's skills or stats. Oh and if roll is used without the ooc modifier, then the test will only be seen by the player's involved. I would usually use this to test my own agility when juggling and emoting my success at it, things that other people don't need to see the rolls for.

Ex:
player 1 is short, fat man, player 2 is tall, muscular man and they want to non-codedly emote a brawl using roll.

syntax is: roll -stat or skill- to just test yourself, with no echo.
roll ooc -stat or skill- to test yourself, with an echo to the room.
roll -stat or skill- vs -target- -target's stat or skill- to test your stat or skill against a target's stat or skill, with their permission, and no echo besides to eachother.
roll ooc -stat or skill- vs -target- -target's stat or skill- to test your stat or skill against a target's stat or skill, with their permission, and echo the result to the room.

player 1 inputs: roll ooc offense vs muscular defense
echoed to player 2 "The short, fat man wishes to test his offense against your defense. Type accept to agree and allow this test to occur."
player 2 inputs: accept
echoed to the room:
The short, fat man succeeds in offense against the tall, muscular man's defense.  or  The short, fat man fails poorly in offense against the tall, muscular man's defense.

And so on, with perhaps different levels of successes and failures and the accept keeps it from being spammed, and from typos being sent to everyone like an accidental 'parry vs. forage' or some nonsensical combination if you're distracted or not thinking.

After the test, then each can emote based on their respective success and failure.
Rorschach: "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!"

That would be pretty jarring.  We already try to avoid using things like the beep command and OOC says as much as possible.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on June 09, 2010, 05:08:15 PM
Quote from: MarshallDFX on June 09, 2010, 05:06:16 PM
If there were targetted hemotes (ones that always displayd to the target, and only might be seen by the more watchful others)... I could emote crapping myself and making it smell to the people sitting next to me.

I always wished for hemote that you can target someone with.

So you can kick someone in the shins under the table, they'd feel it and see the emote.

Though only more watchful others would.

TARGET HEMOTES PLEASE!

+1. This, please. I would use it all the time. And I mean really consistently a lot.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on June 09, 2010, 05:42:48 PM
+1. This, please. I would use it all the time. And I mean really consistently a lot.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on June 09, 2010, 05:08:15 PM
TARGET HEMOTES PLEASE!

hemote Avoiding %templar eyes, @ surreptitiously elbows >~amos.

I'd totally use it.  The problem is, we just already have so much tokgone emoting syntax.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.