Cartography v/s Read/Write

Started by Incognito, April 17, 2009, 02:00:25 PM

With all the changes taking place, I'd like to re-visit one very important function which I feel has been missing from the game, namely - map-making.

I would like to see some IC way for people to make rudimentary maps, without needing to have the R/W skill.

Logically, even an illiterate person, can take a scroll and some kind of writing instrument or even charcoal, and draw lines in different directions, to depict a rough representation of how to get from point A to point B.

It would be simple, for players to create ascii maps and then pen them down on scrolls/parchments etc.

If the staff feel that this might generate too much knowledge of the game's geography, the maps can be made to deteriorate physically over time, or, the skill could be given to certain Guilds only, like lets say Rangers and Merchants, so that only these Guilds can make the maps, and only they can decipher them.

Thoughts?
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

April 17, 2009, 02:49:50 PM #1 Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:54:42 PM by Thorg
Perhaps just making it so you can use the scribble command on existing paper objects to DESCRIBE with words, not ASCII, which is a little jarring in an otherwise prose-based format, direction and locales. As for limiting it to classes, if it must be done, which I'd rather it wasn't, could it be limited to classes without preexisting uncoded "abilities"? Though I have to say, ability at reading/writing maps should be approached like being a bard/playing an instrument is - a good cartographer can describe the map's contents well and a good map-reader can understand poorly written directions.

Subguild caravan guide should get it too.

I absolutely would love to see this. Maps that were easy to read would be in demand. Maps that were hard to read would be dismissed. Skill would separate the trash from the grand.

Also, to limit the information a map drawn by a person without R/W could offer, allow only these symbols `!@#$%^&*()[]{}=+-_:;'",.<>/?|\ to be used. Do not allow letters or numbers of any kind. That way, maps could show terrain, but because words would not be allowed, the information given by them would be vastly limited, and more in line with the lack of ability to read that commoners possess.

DO allow the maps to be titled, as normal scrolls are. Let this field read: "A map of [LOCATION]". Limit the field to fifteen letters. That should allow nearly any region to be properly named, without too much information being presented.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Thorg on April 17, 2009, 02:49:50 PM
Perhaps just making it so you can use the scribble command on existing paper objects to DESCRIBE with words, not ASCII, which is a little jarring in an otherwise prose-based format, direction and locales. As for limiting it to classes, if it must be done, which I'd rather it wasn't, could it be limited to classes without preexisting uncoded "abilities"? Though I have to say, ability at reading/writing maps should be approached like being a bard/playing an instrument is - a good cartographer can describe the map's contents well and a good map-reader can understand poorly written directions.
I think scribbles disappear after a while and after a reboot.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

How are you going to decipher what is on the map though, eh? Sure you can say this line is the path you take, but how do you know what this x means and what that o means or even how to orient the map so you know where the cardinal directions are.. and when you start making marks that mean things universally to those who can decipher maps, like the tree means north, the obsidian shard means south, the raptor means east, etc, you start crossing into the realm of burgeoning literacy that the city-states may not approve of.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 17, 2009, 11:35:51 PM
How are you going to decipher what is on the map though, eh? Sure you can say this line is the path you take, but how do you know what this x means and what that o means or even how to orient the map so you know where the cardinal directions are.. and when you start making marks that mean things universally to those who can decipher maps, like the tree means north, the obsidian shard means south, the raptor means east, etc, you start crossing into the realm of burgeoning literacy that the city-states may not approve of.

I think maps being neary imposible to decipher to all but those who write then, would be a good thing.
They can always be given to people who read and write for a true map (for a fee, of course).
But you wouldn't have nobles, templars, and GMH family member wondering around in the mountains, JUST so their hunters/spies can make a map.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

April 18, 2009, 10:47:17 AM #7 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:50:33 AM by Mood
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on April 17, 2009, 07:16:37 PM
`!@#$%^&*()[]{}=+-_:;'",.<>/?|\

You squint, trying to decipher the map:

__                            _       __
\|              |_|   ^                     |_ |-| |_
| [] , $ |_| |   , /-\ |\/| [ ] $  |-| |_ |-\ |_

edit:would have been better if i didn't fail at ansi
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

>You squint at a map of the desert:
--\   !   @@   
  |
  |
  ------+------
        |
        |
  %     |  ()
    ^   |
   ^^   |
        \

>Pointing at a few symbols on your map, the man says to you, in sirihish:
   "See them pointy things? Them're the dunes on th'other side o'Luirs. Y'look at the top
o'the map, now, that's north, yeh? Well, you see the line with the two circles, mmhmm?
Now -that's- where yer buddy died, right there."

7DV that works fine with the person who drew the map speaking to you and telling you what those lines means and how to hold it so you know which way the map faces north or east. My concern comes with the above with that map being titled "A map of [LOCATION]" - No.. people who find the map should not know this unless it's actually been writen on the map somewhere, and then it's read/write skill coming into it. If it is brought in map titles should be more generic. "A hastily drawn map" "A well drawn map" "A few drunken scribbles"
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Fair enough.

Maybe include a stock legend that would be set by staff, indicating what each character meant?

^ for dunes. | and - for roads? And it would be visible every time you looked at a map?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on April 18, 2009, 11:27:40 PM
Maybe include a stock legend that would be set by staff, indicating what each character meant?

^ for dunes. | and - for roads? And it would be visible every time you looked at a map?
I'd think decoding the map would be half the fun.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I agree.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think this would be a nice addition to the game, I see no reason why there should be definitive meanings for various symbols. Why should you be able to understand another persons map without them present?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on April 19, 2009, 09:59:58 AM
I think this would be a nice addition to the game, I see no reason why there should be definitive meanings for various symbols. Why should you be able to understand another persons map without them present?

Agree with Maso here, and believe it'll be a great idea.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Another great idea to go in conjunction with the map idea would be encryption or the Secret Art of Cryptography.

You could buy pairs of coding devices from speciality shops, lets say Signet Rings (simple) to more sophisticated coding devices like Code Staves (Skytales).

The idea being, only the two people in possession of the pair of matching coding devices, could read the contents of the map.

Additionally, if the coding devices were somehow lost or destroyed, it'd render the map incomprehensible - this'd be a nice touch to it - you pay extra to encrypt your secret information - but on the downside, if you or your partner lose the encryption devices, you're up shit creek without a paddle!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

GMH family members or cartographers might develop their own legends and consistent system for annotation, and without the use of letters or numbers, the potential for abuse would be low outside the occasional ASCII artist fishing for punishment.

I agree that the person relaying what the points on the map mean would be half the fun of having map objects in game, and discovering a pile of maps in someone's closet might provide some interesting adventures as they would try to discover what exactly they were showing.  I wouldn't want any titles or legends to be part of the map, since that's be part of the challenge and fun simultaneously serving as a system of balance against those who can actually R/W.

Imagine if this was coupled with an Arm 2 system that allowed you to conceal objects in any room, or bury them in rooms that were flagged as "diggable" or something similar.  It'd be a lot of fun.

-LoD