military wear

Started by Chettaman, April 11, 2009, 03:06:57 PM

Quote from: Qzzrbl on April 13, 2009, 09:23:18 PM
So a brown eyed dwarf becoming "the brown eyed soldier" is any better than "the brown eyed mercenary"?

I hardly see how a black military dustcloak is any more distinguishable from other cloaks than a brown aba, especially when dirty.

They have a giant jade cross on them, and the rank stitched into the sleeve. A soldier also usually has jade-emblazoned weapons on them, a rank-sash, and possibly other indicators that would be fairly obvious.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I've always felt that Bynners were a part of Allanak culture. Heck, there's plenty of them in the taverns and streets. There's several NPCs with mercenary in their sdesc too. If any non-militia deserve a sdesc for being identifiable at sight, it's the Byn.

Many NPC Bynners don't have that patch, though.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 13, 2009, 09:37:07 PM
I've always felt that Bynners were a part of Allanak culture. Heck, there's plenty of them in the taverns and streets. There's several NPCs with mercenary in their sdesc too. If any non-militia deserve a sdesc for being identifiable at sight, it's the Byn.

Many NPC Bynners don't have that patch, though.

I don't think that any non-militia should have it, excluding maybe nobles. I like the Insignia command idea much better, which I linked to on the first page of this thread.

First, No to anything that cannot arrest, incriminate or is otherwise immune to crime code.

We the players though do NEED to be able to see when such a PC is nearby the same as we can see when such a NPC is nearby.

By the same token, if somebody who IS in the militia and clanned but out of uniform, they should no longer be immune to crime code. The 50,000 soldiers in allanak simply cannot know each and every soldier by face.

Nobles do not need this, the Byn does not need it, Bards don't even slaves don't. None of them have any extra code to back them any more then any other commoner.

As to people worried about sdescs...Lets not be silly. It does not have to sub a word but simply tack a word.

a brown eyed dwarf becomes a brown eyed dwarf soldier.....If somebody has a sdesc that comes out silly like "the male with blue tattoos" Which would become "the male with blue tattoos soldier" Wants into the militia that bad they simply have to app for one of the 3 sdesc changes you are allowed. Till they do they simply do not get past recruit.

Course that also means that is somebody stole a militia cloak, if they did not have the right sdesc setup they would not want to wear it in the city:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Taven on April 13, 2009, 09:31:45 PM
So a brown eyed dwarf becoming "the brown eyed soldier" is any better than "the brown eyed mercenary"?

I hardly see how a black military dustcloak is any more distinguishable from other cloaks than a brown aba, especially when dirty.

They have a giant jade cross on them, and the rank stitched into the sleeve. A soldier also usually has jade-emblazoned weapons on them, a rank-sash, and possibly other indicators that would be fairly obvious.

I agree with this, which is why I support the 'soldier' tag for soldier PCs.

Quote from: X-D on April 14, 2009, 12:27:41 AM
First, No to anything that cannot arrest, incriminate or is otherwise immune to crime code.

We the players though do NEED to be able to see when such a PC is nearby the same as we can see when such a NPC is nearby.

By the same token, if somebody who IS in the militia and clanned but out of uniform, they should no longer be immune to crime code. The 50,000 soldiers in allanak simply cannot know each and every soldier by face.

Nobles do not need this, the Byn does not need it, Bards don't even slaves don't. None of them have any extra code to back them any more then any other commoner.

As to people worried about sdescs...Lets not be silly. It does not have to sub a word but simply tack a word.

a brown eyed dwarf becomes a brown eyed dwarf soldier.....If somebody has a sdesc that comes out silly like "the male with blue tattoos" Which would become "the male with blue tattoos soldier" Wants into the militia that bad they simply have to app for one of the 3 sdesc changes you are allowed. Till they do they simply do not get past recruit.

Course that also means that is somebody stole a militia cloak, if they did not have the right sdesc setup they would not want to wear it in the city:)

I approve of X-D's comments.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Totally agree.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

So a brown eyed dwarf becoming "the brown eyed soldier"

This wouldn't happen in His Glorious and Protected Allanak anyhow.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

It's not, but a soldier is more distinguishable than a mercenary.

Along the same lines, I really hope in Arm Reborn, NPCs will be rid of these 'banned' adjectives. Currently, there are NPC mercenaries, beggars, urchins, crones, bards. If you want PCs and NPCs to be treated the same (which they should be anyways), they really should have the same description guidelines.
Yeah here come the rooster,
You know he ain't gonna die.

Quote from: Fathi on April 16, 2009, 06:11:58 PM

Good point. With Allanak's militia, everyone is human, so soldier can easily replace man, woman, male, female, whatever, and you'll still recognize them as human. This wouldn't work out as well with the Tuluki legion.

With a clan like the Byn, if mercenary was a replacement word, you would lose the race descriptor from their sdesc. And not being able to tell someone's race from their sdesc, imo, is a very bad idea.
Yeah here come the rooster,
You know he ain't gonna die.

Quote from: Rooster on April 16, 2009, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: Fathi on April 16, 2009, 06:11:58 PM
Good point. With Allanak's militia, everyone is human, so soldier can easily replace man, woman, male, female, whatever, and you'll still recognize them as human. This wouldn't work out as well with the Tuluki legion.
With a clan like the Byn, if mercenary was a replacement word, you would lose the race descriptor from their sdesc. And not being able to tell someone's race from their sdesc, imo, is a very bad idea.

Allanak hires, half giants and humans by the way.
And those dirty, gortok humping tree huggers let anyone in.

Though yes, would not have to worry about dwarf/elf/half-elf/monkey.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I was having a one-sided argument with myself over the byn-cloaks changing the ldesc too, and came to the agreement that it's not really needed.
Don't get me wrong. It would just tickle my balls if everyone got cool ldesc(s) for wearing certain clothes. But it sounds like so much work. It would even make sense why they would seem like what the ldesc was changed to. It would seem obvious why a byn-type cloak would be recognized as such. Or a token of mercentalism to mean someone is a mechant... but I digress...

-A dwarf wearing an allanaki token of mercentalism
The rugged, one-eyed merchant
-A human wearing byn cloak
The tall muscular bynner
-an elf with a special bard thing
The slender, amber-hued musician
-etc...

But like I said... I'm opposed to it. Only because it would be too much work.

(edited to remove emotes- Chettaman)
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I like the idea of having this happen for soldiers. I just want to chime in on the stuff about people getting funny looking sdescs when the code doesn't do it the way it ought to. Basically, I think this is a relatively easy problem to solve.

Actually, I think the best way to implement it -is- with a string substitution. First, make a list of possible substitutions. Next, if the parser finds a match in your sdesc, it replaces your regular sdesc with the soldier-y one. Here's an example (but incomplete) list:

man -> male soldier
male -> male soldier
woman -> female soldier
female -> female soldier
half-giant -> half-giant soldier
male half-giant -> male half-giant soldier
half-giantess -> half-giantess soldier
dwarf -> dwarf soldier

Then,
the male with blue tattoos -> the male soldier with blue tattoos
the blue tattooed male -> the blue tattooed male soldier
the smelly, obese half-giant -> the smelly, obese half-giant soldier
the sweaty dwarf -> the sweaty dwarf soldier
the slim young woman with blonde hair -> the slim young female soldier with blonde hair

String substitution is the way to do it. Also, if you don't match some element in the list exactly, then your sdesc doesn't get modified. The list would have to be exhaustive, but it -is- finite. Considering four races (human, dwarf, half-giant, mul) and three sexes (three because not everybody has a gender specific sdesc) would cover most of the bases. That makes only 12 entries in the list. There would still be some oddballs to account for. For example, 'half-giantess' and 'female half-giant' ought to map to the same thing. Also, there are lots of synonyms for humans. The point is that the list is not going to have hundreds of elements. Computers can search that list quickly, and since the substitution ought to only happen when somebody puts on a cloak, it won't happen very often.

Lastly, I think it ought to only apply to people with their hoods down and otherwise uncovered, i.e. - when your default sdesc would normally be showing.

Hell yes, Drayab.

Nice.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Drayab on April 17, 2009, 04:10:40 PM
Nifty stuff.

Sounds awesome, except for if it makes your sdesc too long, past the number of characters allowed. I also dislike that the extra characters involved would make emotes get cut off more often.

Other then that, I adore it.

Yes, the cloak would have to be programmed to replace the gender distinguishing part, though some really wierd ones do make it through from time to time.

I've even seen a "creature" in the Highlord's Militia. I've been a "lad" in the militia.

It'd have to cover man, male, female, woman, youth, teen, boy, girl, lad, lass, thing. It would be quite the list, and if your bit wasn't in there you'd need a desc change. Apart from that, I'm down for it. Sounds cool.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org