How many people do you need to lift a deadman and pack him on your horse?

Started by alicedavignon, March 16, 2009, 05:25:02 PM

I recently ran into a situation when I had to get a body from quite a few rooms away back into the city. Dragging it along the road would have been silly as I've had a beetle with me. I've heard that it takes three humans to lift a dead one. Shouldn't I, as a strong, trained fighter with two huge swords in each hand, be able to strap the body to my mount? Sure, a ton heavy giant might be a problem, but an equivalently large being shouldn't be a problem for anybody with even modest strength IRL.

OFF TOPIC: Does anybody know how to hook something, that isn't a weapon, unto a belt?

You might try relieving that body of it's equipment. That's really what's weighing you down. But it is kind of ridiculous that it's easier to move someone by subduing them and dragging them while their live than picking up their dead body.

I'm pretty sure the syntax is <wear xxx on belt>.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on March 16, 2009, 05:28:40 PM
You might try relieving that body of it's equipment. That's really what's weighing you down. But it is kind of ridiculous that it's easier to move someone by subduing them and dragging them while their live than picking up their dead body.

I'm pretty sure the syntax is <wear xxx on belt>.

I did remove everything from him. Still couldn't pack him.

About belt: Thanks that worked.

1.  I usually strip them down to as much as I can and save their modesty (I assume that if you are moving the whole body and not just the head, your PC actually cared about the person).  

2.  Put all this stuff in a bag and pack it on the beetle you mentioned.  

3.  If you STILL can't pick the body up, put everything you don't need in your pack, take it of and pack YOUR pack on the beetle.  

4.  If you STILL can't pick it up... well... your screwed.

also:
>wear <thing> ON belt

I always forget the "on" part and it takes me like five minutes to remember it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Dead weight is heavier than live weight, Jingo.

The only way to really lift a body up is by stripping it of all its equipment. If you still can't pick it up, get help, or strip down buck nekkid and hope for the best. Just be prepared to deal with the consequences when a passerby spots a naked fellow stooped over another naked corpse.  :P

Quote from: Eloran on March 16, 2009, 05:52:16 PM
Dead weight is heavier than live weight, Jingo.

That doesn't really work as an explanation. It's not not like I'm just throwing their arm over my shoulder and walking them along when I subdue someone. Even if someone actively trying to escape my subdue, or if they're unconscious and I'm carrying their "dead weight" anyways; it's still easier than carrying their corpse.

I just see it as one of those code inconsistancies that you kind of have to oocly work around. I remember having to wish up just to get a body out of a pit once with even three pairs of hands helping.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on March 16, 2009, 06:27:00 PM
I remember having to wish up just to get a body out of a pit once with even three pairs of hands helping.

I find it important for you to remember which race you were playing at that time, sir.

Quote from: Eloran on March 16, 2009, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: Jingo on March 16, 2009, 06:27:00 PM
I remember having to wish up just to get a body out of a pit once with even three pairs of hands helping.

I find it important for you to remember which race you were playing at that time, sir.

I don't see what difference that distinction makes. The code doesn't allow you to carry anything up and out of one of those pits unless you can fit it into your inventory. It would not have made a difference even if we were all dwarves.

Quote from: Jingo on March 16, 2009, 06:41:35 PM
It would not have made a difference even if we were all dwarves.

Sure it would have. Dwarves can pick up corpses. Elves, generally, cannot.

Quote from: Eloran on March 16, 2009, 06:44:44 PM
Quote from: Jingo on March 16, 2009, 06:41:35 PM
It would not have made a difference even if we were all dwarves.

Sure it would have. Dwarves can pick up corpses. Elves, generally, cannot.

Not in my expierience. But whatever, agree to disagree.

Agent, sometimes you need the body for RP purposes to be "identified" in some ways.

My issue is, can you pack a dead body, if you have three people helping you lift?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Only takes one dwarf to lift a fully equipped dead guy ;)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Once, I had to strip half naked to pick up a corpse, while I was a human with exceptional strength.  I think they're made intentionally heavy to make it difficult to hide traces of crime.  Meaning you cant kill somebody, pick him up, and drag him in an area where nobody'd look, unless you're an HG, high strength dwarf, or have accomplices (aka witnesses). So while I dont particularly like how bothersome it is to move a dead, stripped naked corpse, I dont find it all that bad of an idea to have it like that.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: SmashedTregil on March 18, 2009, 01:32:36 AM
Once, I had to strip half naked to pick up a corpse, while I was a human with exceptional strength.  I think they're made intentionally heavy to make it difficult to hide traces of crime.  Meaning you cant kill somebody, pick him up, and drag him in an area where nobody'd look, unless you're an HG, high strength dwarf, or have accomplices (aka witnesses). So while I dont particularly like how bothersome it is to move a dead, stripped naked corpse, I dont find it all that bad of an idea to have it like that.

But you can knock them out, subdue and drag them to a secluded location, and finish the job there without difficulty.

Simply inconsistent.

Corpses are heavy because they weigh between 6 and 10 ten-stone, the normal weight range of humanoids on Zalanthas.

They aren't extra heavy or anything.  The weight is entirely dependent on how heavy the PC/NPC was.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

No Riev, you cannot, to pack something it must be in your inventory.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Lol, I never knew that it took lots of people to lift a body. I took my high-strength dwarf for granted :P

My char actually tossed around the body of one of the posters in this thread. It was damn funny, despite the IC seriousness of the situation, mainly because I was awake too early that morning and didn't even realize that a lot of the stuff I was doing was absurd. If I didn't delete the logs, I'd submit them next year.

I wonder if you could junk bodies, and make everything on them fall out?

>draw skinning knife
>junk body (ineptly hacking !body to pieces)
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Used to be able to.

Not anymore.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: SMuz on March 18, 2009, 04:57:34 AM
I wonder if you could junk bodies, and make everything on them fall out?
Impossible to junk and/or skin bodies (unless a Karma-required or special apped PC)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

to the OP:

what was your encumbrance at the time? it's probably more important to drop your own bag of obsidian chunks than to strip the dead guy.

Quote from: Agent_137 on March 18, 2009, 03:11:53 PM
to the OP:

what was your encumbrance at the time? it's probably more important to drop your own bag of obsidian chunks than to strip the dead guy.

Easily manageable, but I'm pretty good on strength and had another trained soldier soldier helping me.

You'd think two humans with probably "above average" or "good" strength could pick up another human body.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

They can, they just cannot pack it on a mount.

Lizzie: