Sap

Started by Sephiroto, February 25, 2009, 02:21:14 PM

Quote from: mansa on February 25, 2009, 01:33:54 PM
Isn't a SAP just a BACKSTAB with a club?

Not exactly and I shouldn't have to go into great detail to explain it to you Mansa.  Simply put, backstab is much more complicated unless you're some small-minded RP'er who thinks backstab actually means stabbing someone in the back and -only- that.  Furthermore I don't understand why it takes a lot of skill to be proficient at sapping.  The element of surprise (hide/sneak) plus the ability to squarely club some doofus over the head without missing (bludgeoning weapons) is about all it takes to knock someone out.  I've had a PC kill an NPC in two hits with -mercy on-.  He wanted to knock her out but he didn't have the freaking sap skill.  Yeah right.  If he can smash her skull open and leave grey matter on the pavement then he can sap her.  I tried to RP.....but no skill equals no win.

Discuss

Sap, puts them down quietly and with minor injury. Aimed love tap to the braincage.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

February 25, 2009, 03:40:43 PM #2 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:46:18 PM by RogueGunslinger
I'm going to go ahead and say that inserting a blade someone's neck/spine/head is pretty damn similar to conking them on the head with a bludgeoning tool. Probably less success rate at actually killing than there is at knocking someone out, but I'm sure this i representative of the current code.

i think sap is about location AND force AND subtly. which is why most warriors cant do it.

Quote from: Agent_137 on February 25, 2009, 03:44:50 PM
i think sap is about location AND force AND subtly. which is why most warriors cant do it.

Good point.

For one thing, sap is far more lethal than backstab.  :-X

Quote from: Clearsighted on February 25, 2009, 09:35:19 PM

Lethal in terms of them laying their snoring helpless with their brain fuzzy, not lethal in the 'dead before you hit the ground' kind of way.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Irl, sap is a pretty complicated skill to master. Not due to the need of being subtle, but due to need to apply force in an 'exact' location with an 'exact' strength.  Vikings used to carry two pounds of sand with them just to use the bag to sap people.  Sand bag isnt hard enough to break the skull, but heavy enough to KO someone for the slave markets.

Quote from: Clearsighted on February 25, 2009, 09:35:19 PM

Pshaw. 'nuff said.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Dar on February 26, 2009, 01:57:31 AM
Irl, sap is a pretty complicated skill to master. Not due to the need of being subtle, but due to need to apply force in an 'exact' location with an 'exact' strength.  Vikings used to carry two pounds of sand with them just to use the bag to sap people.  Sand bag isnt hard enough to break the skull, but heavy enough to KO someone for the slave markets.
Says what I'd say about it.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.