Re: I'd Like To Encourage-DERAIL

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 23, 2009, 12:13:54 AM

February 23, 2009, 12:13:54 AM Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:11:11 PM by Vanth
Quote from: brytta.leofa on February 22, 2009, 06:54:11 PM
Quote from: Wyx on February 22, 2009, 02:36:23 PM
Less trigger-happy encounters between players. Too many times already have I seen players do the "enter room;look man;kill man" or "man enters room;cast spell man" or "man enters room;spamwalk away" schtick.

On that note, if you meet someone unknown in the wilderness, it's great manners to do like so from an adjacent square:
> shout Halloo th' camp.  A'right to ride on up?
You hear a female voice from the south shout, in sirihish:
  "Nice an' slow-- c'mon in."

Bad a bad way to begin a raid, of course, too.

This here is what I usually do.

Quote from: Wyx on February 22, 2009, 02:36:23 PM
Less trigger-happy encounters between players. Too many times already have I seen players do the "enter room;look man;kill man" or "man enters room;cast spell man" or "man enters room;spamwalk away" schtick.

Sadly, this seems a product of natural selection more than anything else. I would suggest that most players out there, start out trying to RP it more, but they are either dead or unsuccessful. I remember riding in on someone who was resting, who had gotten up and fled before I could even finish emoting tipping my hat. And I hadn't even been hunting them. Once this happens to you the first dozen or so times you are actually after them for a good IC reason and lives do hang in the balance...well...You learn to do what it takes to serve the greater good, and just keep an eye out for situations where you can make up for it.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 23, 2009, 10:29:59 AM
Yeh ... it's not a crime to get discovered, when you don't know yourself. It's a crime to know what you are and not do anything about it.

> talk (tentatively) Dad?  I got this problem.
> talk (uneasily) I mean, I know how we Borsails feel about 'gickers...
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 23, 2009, 09:48:45 AM
I've said it many times before, but...

I'd like to encourage people to play their Allanaki mages for a while before getting gemmed.  Like for a month or two.  Develop the character's personality.  Make friends and lovers, then traumatize them horribly when you show up one day wearing a gem.

The time I did that myself is still one of my top 5 favorite Armageddon events, rivaling HRPTs.

I had a log of one of the coolest experiences I've had, where one of my finger wigglers were forced to get the gem.

But my HD failed.

I'd like to encourage people to play their Allanaki mages for a while before getting gemmed.  Like for a month or two.  Develop the character's personality.  Make friends and lovers, then traumatize them horribly when you show up one day wearing a gem.

The time I did that myself is still one of my top 5 favorite Armageddon events, rivaling HRPTs.

This doesn't work when people go out of their way to guildsniff and/or find you out.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: deviant storm on February 23, 2009, 05:35:56 PM

This doesn't work when people go out of their way to guildsniff and/or find you out.

I had some Salarri Agent do that to me once in-game, OOCly I was very irritated he was doing this though I found it comical giving him rediculous answers to his questions that eventually showed I wasn't going to reveal the guild/subguild combo of the character. I can only hope he was more frustrated at the fact he wasn't able to use his piddly attempt in finding out the information on my character.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

Quote from: PerpetualPatriot on February 23, 2009, 05:43:33 PM

I had some Salarri Agent do that to me once in-game, OOCly I was very irritated he was doing this though I found it comical giving him rediculous answers to his questions that eventually showed I wasn't going to reveal the guild/subguild combo of the character. I can only hope he was more frustrated at the fact he wasn't able to use his piddly attempt in finding out the information on my character.

Yes, because god forbid that an agent of a Greater Merchant House find out whether you are worth paying hundreds of 'sid a month in pay, water, food, and lodging.

You're lucky.  If I was playing a GMH family member, and I hired someone to be a hunter, and they turned out to be completely useless at it, despite having claimed otherwise, I'd tie them up and let my real hunters use them for target practice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 23, 2009, 05:46:51 PM
Quote from: PerpetualPatriot on February 23, 2009, 05:43:33 PM

Yes, because god forbid that an agent of a Greater Merchant House find out whether you are worth paying hundreds of 'sid a month in pay, water, food, and lodging.

You're lucky.  If I was playing a GMH family member, and I hired someone to be a hunter, and they turned out to be completely useless at it, despite having claimed otherwise, I'd tie them up and let my real hunters use them for target practice.

Yet again you make more assumptions that you can account for, little one. Luck had nothing to do with any of it as it was very well planned out and executed with ease.   :D
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

Quote from: Lizzie on February 23, 2009, 05:47:09 PM
I'd like to encourage people to play classes that discourage the -need- for guild sniffing.

So that, if you are looking for work as a hunter, you actually HAVE hunter-ish skills, instead of being a secret magicker who has archer as a sub-guild.

Or if you are looking for work in a GMH and know, in advance, that the boss is hoping to groom someone to learn several crafts, that you actually pick the merchant class, or at -least- pick a class that branches one kind of craft, and pick a different craft for a subguild.

Y'know. So that people who actually -need- their employees to be capable of doing specific things, won't have to pull teeth to find out if you can do those specific things or not.

Yeah. Please, PLEASE start playing characters for the class and subguild they are. Because that's the best way to represent a role playing intensive environment. Everyone knows that people are bred with certain skills, and they can't learn any others no matter how much work they put into it.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 23, 2009, 07:51:29 PM
I'd like to encourage people to play classes that discourage the -need- for guild sniffing.

So that, if you are looking for work as a hunter, you actually HAVE hunter-ish skills, instead of being a secret magicker who has archer as a sub-guild.

Or if you are looking for work in a GMH and know, in advance, that the boss is hoping to groom someone to learn several crafts, that you actually pick the merchant class, or at -least- pick a class that branches one kind of craft, and pick a different craft for a subguild.

Y'know. So that people who actually -need- their employees to be capable of doing specific things, won't have to pull teeth to find out if you can do those specific things or not.

Yeah. Please, PLEASE start playing characters for the class and subguild they are. Because that's the best way to represent a role playing intensive environment. Everyone knows that people are bred with certain skills, and they can't learn any others no matter how much work they put into it.

Seriously. One of the biggest drawbacks of the class system is how rigid and unopen it is. But I regress.

February 23, 2009, 08:11:18 PM #10 Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:13:47 PM by SMuz
Quote from: Vessol on February 23, 2009, 08:03:30 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 23, 2009, 07:51:29 PM

Seriously. One of the biggest drawbacks of the class system is how rigid and unopen it is. But I regress.
Nothing wrong with the class system. It works well, especially for a caste-like system that Zalanthas has. IMO, biggest problem is that certain guild/subguilds don't have the skills you'd expect, and it gets very annoying finding out after you already choose it. So, in that sense, I'd encourage people to read between the lines of the documentation before choosing a guild :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I guess that twisting ideas out of context and using strawman arguements is the latest trend. I'll explain for the "logically challenged":

If I was looking for a guard, I probably wouldn't need a tracker. If I was looking for an assassin, I probably wouldn't need someone who could rescue me from assassins. If I was looking for a crafter, I wouldn't really care if they can handle a blade or not. If I'm looking for someone who can make cure tablets, then I don't give a shit if they're an evil defiler. I just want to know that they can make cure tablets. If they can't, then move along and let me get on with my search. If I'm looking for a tracker, then I'm not -too- concerned with how well they can play darts, or if they know the latest songs in the tavern. I'm looking for a tracker. If that means I'm looking for a ranger-skillset, then sure, that's what I'm looking for.

The game DOES have coded skills. There's no shame in an employer needing employees to make use of those coded skills, and there's no shame in an employer asking people if they're capable of utilizing those coded skills. Unfortunately it is awkward as hell asking about it ICly, ESPECIALLY because the so-called "anti-guilt-sniff league" gets SUCH a kick out of giving people a hard time when they are simply trying to match up available jobs with the people who are capable of filling them.

So my opinion stands: It would be great if people who want to be hired as hunters, actually have some of the coded hunting skills.  Instead of having an entire crew of assassin/warrior/burglars, NONE of which are codedly capable of leading a crew in a storm anywhere...it'd just be really nice if once in a blue moon, a ranger would seek out a job as a..<gasp> ranger.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

This isn't about people applying for a job that they may or may not be icly qualified for.

This is about people just guildsniffing for its own sake. It's very hard to make a magicker-in-secret, because everyone has to know who that guy down the bar is and what sort of guild he's got. No one takes a character at face value as they might if the game were played just that little bit more like real life. That's not Joe, who might be a secret 'gicker, he's Joe, who gathers crap for a living and seems to have an opinion on everything, down at the local tavern.

That would lead to a good deal more fun reactions should Joe show up with a gem one day.

Choose thy fate:

February 24, 2009, 12:16:24 AM #13 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:26:00 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Lizzie on February 23, 2009, 08:33:37 PM
I guess that twisting ideas out of context and using strawman arguements is the latest trend. I'll explain for the "logically challenged":

Oh, thank you for the flames, I really enjoy being flamed.  :-\ If I had as much tact and skill at flaming as you as you I wouldn't get banned for outright calling you a nearsighted twit.

QuoteThe game DOES have coded skills. There's no shame in an employer needing employees to make use of those coded skills, and there's no shame in an employer asking people if they're capable of utilizing those coded skills. Unfortunately it is awkward as hell asking about it ICly, ESPECIALLY because the so-called "anti-guilt-sniff league" gets SUCH a kick out of giving people a hard time when they are simply trying to match up available jobs with the people who are capable of filling them.

I don't disagree with this at all. Just don't judge players for having their character try and fit the role that their character would naturally fit into. You should react to such thing's IC'ly, instead of spewing mindless antagonisms about how you feel the way others should play because they choose a certain class. I have no problem with the higher-ups of guilds thoroughly investigating their employees skills. I do, however, have a problem with a player judging the character based on their skills and how a player portrays their own character.

So my opinion stands: It would be great if people who want to be hired as hunters, actually have some of the coded hunting skills.  Instead of having an entire crew of assassin/warrior/burglars, NONE of which are codedly capable of leading a crew in a storm anywhere...it'd just be really nice if once in a blue moon, a ranger would seek out a job as a..<gasp> ranger.

This is bullshit, you want us to play our classes how they best suit you? It doesn't matter what the character class is at all, it only matters what that character portrays himself as.

Edit: Took a lot of trys to actually get my message somewhat coherent here.

This thread is now about recipes involving pineapples in them.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Pineapple upside down cake = Win.

Pineapple on pizza is a travesty. Why is there randomly fruit on my pizza covered with pig and red sauce? It makes ZERO sense to my tastebuds.
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Jdr on February 24, 2009, 12:31:26 AM
Pineapple on pizza is a travesty. Why is there randomly fruit on my pizza covered with pig and red sauce? It makes ZERO sense to my tastebuds.

I seriously thought I was the only one out there. I -hate- pineapple on my pizza.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 24, 2009, 12:36:13 AM

I seriously thought I was the only one out there. I -hate- pineapple on my pizza.

Wait, what?

Fuck you.  Fuck you and die.

Hawaiian ftw, bitches.

Quote from: rishenko on February 24, 2009, 12:37:15 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 24, 2009, 12:36:13 AM

Wait, what?

Fuck you.  Fuck you and die.

Hawaiian ftw, bitches.

Yes. Enjoy your "pig-anus" pepperoni pizza.

I'll enjoy my ham and pineapple.  ;)
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I'd like to encourage all those people who took my point, which was a comment on Moe's point about trying to play a 'hidden' magicker, to chill. It seems like you all missed the point. But since no one seems interested in my point I'm just going to shut up now and stop posting on this subject. Or maybe just take a vacation from the GDB.

Cause I really don't care how people play, whether they play according to their skillset or not. Long as they play with me, it's all good.

Choose thy fate:

Quote from: deviant storm on February 23, 2009, 09:10:30 PM
This isn't about people applying for a job that they may or may not be icly qualified for.

This is about people just guildsniffing for its own sake. It's very hard to make a magicker-in-secret, because everyone has to know who that guy down the bar is and what sort of guild he's got. No one takes a character at face value as they might if the game were played just that little bit more like real life. That's not Joe, who might be a secret 'gicker, he's Joe, who gathers crap for a living and seems to have an opinion on everything, down at the local tavern.

That would lead to a good deal more fun reactions should Joe show up with a gem one day.

I agree that sucks DS, people who guild sniff for its own sake should be encouraged to try something else. I was offering my 2 sids on what *I* would like to encourage, and it happened to be somewhat related to guild sniffing, but from the other side of the coin, where an employer is looking for specific things to be accomplished, and needs people with specific skills to accomplish them. So when someone is intentionally vague, to the point where it's OBVIOUS that they're hiding something - then they shouldn't be surprised if they get passed by for a job.

"So Potential Guy, I'm looking for hunters. How do you think you can fit in with this?"

"Well Mister Employer, I can do a lot of things."

"Such as what?"

"Uh, y'know, things. That I can do."

"Can you find your way around in storms, which I'd need if I was to use you as a guide?"

"Uh..no."

"Can you ride?"

"Uh - well I could learn."

"Can you shoot a bow?"

"Not really."

"Can you track marks to help catch your prey or avoid being caught by a predator?"

"Nope."

"Well what CAN you do?"

"Stuff."

NEXT

Lizzie, most of the time when people say "guild sniffing" they mean something a little different from your example.

Guild sniffing as a negative generally means this:

"So Potential Guy, I'm looking for employees. How do you think you can fit in with this?"

"Well Mister Employer, I can do a lot of things."

"Such as what?"

"Uh, y'know, things. That I can do."

"Can you find your way around in storms, which I'd need if I was to use you as a guide?"

"Uh..no."

"Can you ride?"

"Uh - well I could learn."

"Can you sew clothing?"

"Not really."

"Can you beat people up with a sword?"

"Nope."

"Well what CAN you do?"

"Stuff."

>contact hard nosed templar

>psi Hey, I've got this guy here and he doesn't seem to be able to do anything.  I think he's a thief or an assassin or maybe a magicker.  For the good of the city, you should probably interrogate him a bit.

That is the guild sniffing people are opposed to.  The kind where a lack of demonstrated or professed coded skill leads to an assumption of malicious disposition.  Not guild sniffing in the sense of trying to figure out if someone is or can be a hunter, crafter, etc.

To Moe: OH! I totally misunderstood the meaning of it then. Or more likely - I think my concern, was that when people see -me- doing that - attempting to find out if the *character* has what it takes for the IC job I'm offering..that they're assuming I'm guild sniffing.

I worry about that. It's stressful, to think that some people might assume that's what I'm doing, when in fact, I just want to find out if the guy who is trying to get hired as a crafter, isn't really someone who can not only pick locks, but would probably pick the lock to my apartment and rob me blind, and never actually MAKE anything other than a mess.

Quote from: mansa on February 24, 2009, 11:52:33 AM
I'd like to encourage more people who know their place in life.
Nobles are nobles and they are your betters.
Militia can kill you on a whim.
Templars eat your soul.

You should really just not catch their attention, and play with your caste.
Yes, seconded. I see people who go practically ignore a templar in a room and it kinda makes me wince OOC-ly. Then when I tell them to be polite around the templar and not spit or punch each other or something, the templar looks at me curiously. Back when I was a noob, I'd be scared to even spam walk past a Blue Robe without bowing first.

And then there's the militia who get teased and poked around. And the player who does try to push around the militia guy seems surprised when his character gets beaten up. He then pulls out a weapon to defend himself during a brawl with the militia guy and gets killed, obviously.

Am I missing something here?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.