Couple of small ideas

Started by Xio, February 24, 2009, 06:21:31 PM

February 24, 2009, 06:21:31 PM Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:24:31 PM by Xio
(My last suggestions for awhile, not a giant fan of making suggestions on the GBD)

Personally, I think every item should be throwable. Not necessarily with the intent to hurt people (because i'm pretty sure that'd be a pain to code) but into adjacent rooms. Perhaps a toss command. Would use stam based on the weight of the object, so people don't start lobbing full chests all over the place. I would like to able to toss things directly to people (if they're watching in the correct direction), but then it becomes an elongated give, and people should have the chance to intercept if they're paying enough attention.

Addition to emote's, just a lil pet peeve of mine that makes emoting a bit more versatile without really making it more cumbersome.

easier to demonstrate then explain so:

<worn on head>           a new sturdy inix-hide helmet
<worn across back>       a dusty bone-studded backpack
<worn on torso>          a stained simple sandcloth shirt
<primary hand>           an obsidian longsword
<secondary hand>         an obsidian longsword
<worn as belt>           a rodent skin belt
<worn around body>       a dusty hooded brown sandcloth cloak
<worn on legs>           a pair of light-brown pants
<worn on feet>           a dusty pair of chalton leather boots
emote clacks ~(pair of)sword[s] together
Amos clacks his pair of obsidian longswords together.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

For the second one, it seems you could just:
emote clacks ^me pair of obsidian swords together.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I approve. You should be able to throw things over the shield wall.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: elvenchipmunk on February 24, 2009, 06:24:38 PM
Ah, but what if you have a sword and a shield? That would be emote clacks ~sword on ~shield. Wait, that's not much tougher.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on February 24, 2009, 07:20:20 PM
Quote from: elvenchipmunk on February 24, 2009, 06:24:38 PM
Ah, but what if you have a sword and a shield? That would be emote clacks ~sword on ~shield. Wait, that's not much tougher.

Yeah, I do this all the time, or just use generics, instead of actually targeting the item all the time.

em thumps his sword's/blade's/weapon's hilt against ~breastplate

I thought everything that is holdable is throwing in the same room, currently.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Throwing to adjacent rooms and even at people (no damage) would be awesome. I have a sudden image of skeet meat pie tossings into the Gaj on a regular basis though.. okay.. maybe not at people. Throwing to adjacent rooms would be nifty though.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

February 25, 2009, 03:47:30 PM #7 Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:55:57 PM by mansa
Quote from: Majikal on February 25, 2009, 03:40:56 PM
Throwing to adjacent rooms and even at people (no damage) would be awesome. I have a sudden image of skeet meat pie tossings into the Gaj on a regular basis though.. okay.. maybe not at people. Throwing to adjacent rooms would be nifty though.

You throw a burning simple, leather-wrapped bone torch at the NPC.

Non-weapons do not initiate combat when throwing at people.

Although, it would be cool if he burst into flames.

As for throwing into different rooms, I don't necessarily agree, unless the size of the room was taken into consideration.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on February 25, 2009, 03:47:30 PM
As for throwing into different rooms, I don't necessarily agree, unless the size of the room was taken into consideration.

And whys that? Unless you're trying to throw a mek into an apartment building, the majority of items you can carry and hold would fit through a doorframe. If it didn't, how would you? If you're trying to throw a gigantic item, its going to kill your stam. Realistically str should play a big role, but for balancing issues and whatnot I think its role should be downplayed a bit. There are plenty of other things I personally would tack onto this, chance of the item breaking etc etc, but thats just me.

And in the terms of the emote, its not JUST for weapons. Was only an example of how it worked, figured that explained it well enough. I never use ^me(and all the variations) in emotes cause it shows your sdesc to you and not the pronoun 'you', but that doesnt mean other people aren't going to use ^me.

emote arranges ~(three)branch[es] in a tight circle, using ~(two other)2.branch[es] to hold them in place.
The gray-toothed lumberjack arranges his three long agafari branches in a tight circle, using his two other thick baobab branches to hold them in place.

A second example. The point is to make it able to 'target' multiple objects you have, instead of only showing one or spamming the same sdesc of a branch. Yea there are ways around this, but there are times when it'd be useful to display multiple items with their actual sdesc without having to type it yourself or type: em holds up ~branch and three others like it; anytime you wanna refer to multiple instances of an item.

Quote from: Xio on February 26, 2009, 10:21:38 AM
Quote from: mansa on February 25, 2009, 03:47:30 PM

And whys that? Unless you're trying to throw a mek into an apartment building, the majority of items you can carry and hold would fit through a doorframe. If it didn't, how would you? If you're trying to throw a gigantic item, its going to kill your stam. Realistically str should play a big role, but for balancing issues and whatnot I think its role should be downplayed a bit. There are plenty of other things I personally would tack onto this, chance of the item breaking etc etc, but thats just me.

And in the terms of the emote, its not JUST for weapons. Was only an example of how it worked, figured that explained it well enough. I never use ^me(and all the variations) in emotes cause they show your sdesc to you and not the pronoun 'you' in its place, but that doesnt mean other people aren't going to use ^me.

emote arranges ~(three)branch[es] in a tight circle, using ~(two other)2.branch[es] to hold them in place.
The gray-toothed lumberjack arranges his three long agafari branches in a tight circle, using his two other thick baobab branches to hold them in place.

A second example. The point is to make it able to 'target' multiple objects you have, instead of only showing one or spamming the same sdesc of a branch. Yea there are ways around this, but there are times when it'd be useful to display multiple items with their actual sdesc without having to type it yourself or type: em holds up ~branch and three others like it; anytime you wanna refer to multiple instances of an item.

Throwing into adjacent rooms would be nice. You can already do it with weapons (the throw skill), so I would imagine as long as the size of the item and your character's strength are taken into account, as well as a proportionate stamina chunk removed, it would be fine.

I still don't think your multiple targeting idea is worth the trouble. I mean, really, is typing out:
~(three)branch[es]

that much easier than:
three long agafari branches

I think not. Especially with the brackets and special format you need for your idea. Do you maybe have a list of pros for this new idea? I just can't seem to see why it would be so useful.

I do agree with you about throwing stuff, though.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill