I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

Quote from: Yam on April 19, 2009, 11:51:26 AM
Quote from: staggerlee on April 19, 2009, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: SMuz on April 18, 2009, 09:38:44 PM
Just because nobody else is doing it doesn't make it wrong.

I'm puzzled as to how anyone but the staff could possibly know how much players solo rp.  ::)

Many classes have abilities that allow such spying.

Huh, and you'd never know if someone was... kind of seems like you never know when you're alone and should always be rping doesn't it?  8)
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on April 19, 2009, 12:07:37 PM
Quote from: Yam on April 19, 2009, 11:51:26 AM
Quote from: staggerlee on April 19, 2009, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: SMuz on April 18, 2009, 09:38:44 PM
Just because nobody else is doing it doesn't make it wrong.

I'm puzzled as to how anyone but the staff could possibly know how much players solo rp.  ::)

Many classes have abilities that allow such spying.

Huh, and you'd never know if someone was... kind of seems like you never know when you're alone and should always be rping doesn't it?  8)

Generally, but I rarely ever emote when I'm alone. I have more important things to do while I spam hunt or idle.

April 19, 2009, 12:39:14 PM #152 Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:21:07 PM by jcljules
Quote from: mansa on April 19, 2009, 11:57:01 AM
I'd like to encourage people to write more biographies and then publish them in a year's time.
Write them with the INTENT to share with everybody... So that means write more!

I have written a bio at least once every other week since I started playing this game. I believe I got my first point of karma partially for my biographical diligence, as well.

EDITED BY SHALOOONSH.  Remember that what may be rumor or heresy for you may be mystery to another.

Jcljules: really sorry about this one-wasn't thinking at the time.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I try to write bios for the most important parts of a character's life, however I am quite poor at creative writing as a hobby. Sometimes I write a bio in "Thinks" like "Why can't I do that? He was such a dick." or from the third person "So CoolGuyFace joined the Byn today, after quite an arduous conversation with the burly Sergeant. CoolGuyFace was unsure whether he would be let in, but he put on his BEST cool guy face, and that was all it took."

I wouldn't mind seeing some people's old bios, but then... we have a submissions page.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I try to write biographies as often as possible. Sometimes, though, my characters get whipped away in a torrent of fast paced exciting activity and I can't keep up. Usually I swap between third and first person for the same character, depending on how I feel like telling the story. One character of mine had a deceased brother she ordered, all of her bio entries were written like letters to him.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Don't think I've ever written a bio.  :-\

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 19, 2009, 03:19:06 PM

I always want to, but just -never- get around to doing it. :'(
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on April 19, 2009, 03:22:05 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 19, 2009, 03:19:06 PM

I always want to, but just -never- get around to doing it. :'(

I hate writing bios.  I had a PC who lived 2 RL years and they only had four bio entries, because things happened that were just too huge -not- to write about.  I've also heard of much younger PCs with 40+ bio entries. 

I'm very glad they're not required.   :P
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

don't worry about making them long. just pretend like they are your char's twitter account.

bio add fecking that hot whatsit!!
It's as good as I expected!
~
save

Folks to use feels/thinks when your pc is lying, give those benders the advantages such talents deserve.

ps- I am not a psionic, ic info update of the week.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

What.. you guys don't use thinks when your PC is lying? Hell, I use hemotes to indicate my PC is lying. But not all hemotes are when lying, so don't be accusing me of lying every time I toss out a hemote :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

If its a flagrant lie, such as "No sir, I surely didn't do it." I'll toss of a think like "He'll never know that I -did-" so that someone might catch it.

Never know who out there is a latent psion
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Knowing that your thoughts may just be heard by someone else is half the fun!   ;D

Quote from: Tallulah on April 20, 2009, 06:31:54 PM
Knowing that your thoughts may just be heard by someone else is half the fun!   ;D

Bears repeating.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

April 20, 2009, 08:39:53 PM #164 Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:45:42 PM by Rhyden
Quote from: Ourla on April 20, 2009, 06:49:30 PM

Bears repeating.

I don't usually bash Arm stuff (cept Tuluk (when I'm not playing there)) but god do I loathe psionicists.

I'd like to encourage psion characters to use their powers extremely carefully and even more sparingly. Think about how your powers might manipulate or more likely ruin plots. For once I'd like to see a psionicist who only uses their powers defensively. Boy, that would be cool, and by cool, I mean it would never happen.

>:(

Quote from: Rhyden on April 20, 2009, 08:39:53 PM
Quote from: Ourla on April 20, 2009, 06:49:30 PM

Bears repeating.

I don't usually bash Arm stuff (cept Tuluk (when I'm not playing there)) but god do I loathe psionicists.

I'd like to encourage psion characters to use their powers extremely carefully and even more sparingly. Think about how your powers might manipulate or more likely ruin plots. For once I'd like to see a psionicist who only uses their powers defensively. Boy, that would be cool, and by cool, I mean it would never happen.

>:(

Aieeee, I have so much to say about this and can't.

I know, Oulra, I know.

I wanted to start a new thread about the subject, but it would be impossible without revealing IC info or going down in flames.

My point: I think the game would be much better off without psionicists.

I too would like to encourage psionicists to be more responsible with their powers.

There's a lot I'd like to say on the matter, but can't.

What I can say:

Learn the thought patterns of your mark. Learn how they think, how they talk, and how they'd act in a given situation. Do some actual research on the mark.

Quote from: Rhyden link=topic=34496.msg441880#msg441880For once I'd like to see a psionicist who only uses their powers defensively. Boy, that would be cool, and by cool, I mean it would never happen.

Not so.  But you'll never notice the cagey ones.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on April 20, 2009, 10:16:44 PM
Quote from: Rhyden link=topic=34496.msg441880#msg441880For once I'd like to see a psionicist who only uses their powers defensively. Boy, that would be cool, and by cool, I mean it would never happen.

Not so.  But you'll never notice the cagey ones.

This.

A good psionicist never gets publicly outed and dies a quiet, possibly even unrelated, death.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

April 20, 2009, 11:26:00 PM #170 Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:32:17 PM by number13
nm, deleted content

I'd like to encourage myself, so, if you don't mind, here goes..

GO MALKEN GO! GO GO MALKEN GO! GO GO GO MALKEN GO GO GO, YOU'RE THE BEST, GO MALKEN, GO!!!

Thank you.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Shoo.  :P
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

April 21, 2009, 02:03:25 AM #173 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:10:30 AM by Salt Merchant
I imagine a psion in a position of power (such as a noble) must have a hugely dampening effect on plots within a city. Basically Amos couldn't wipe his ass without Magneto the Noble knowing about it and discreetly sending his goons.

I refuse to even think of how it must be like in Tuluk with regards to plot-squelching.

But I haven't played one, so I don't know for certain.

Nevertheless, I'd "like to encourage" (read: I hope) that such characters are exceedingly rare and that they're played with restraint.
Lunch makes me happy.

All the more reason to hate and kill them, right?