I'd Like To Encourage

Started by Is Friday, February 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM

I'd like to encourage each player to play whatever the hell they want to play, so long as its within the documentation's boundaries.  And hey, while your at it, don't gripe about other players exploring roles you don't personally enjoy.  Trust the staff to do their job, and simply worry about your own piece of the pie.  Or 2.arm, you know, stuff that is general, not specific.

More sleeping as well. Pick a number of IC days to actually get tired. I usually get 'tired' after about three days and emote getting tired and going to sleep someplace. It's always fun to find sleeping people.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

after 3 IC days i usually quit because i've been on for 4 and a half fucking hours.

Quote from: Chettaman on March 06, 2009, 05:07:36 AM
More sleeping as well. Pick a number of IC days to actually get tired. I usually get 'tired' after about three days and emote getting tired and going to sleep someplace. It's always fun to find sleeping people.

One Zalanthan day is approximately 0.525 RL days.  That means, at normal sleep rates, Zalanthans would spend about two-thirds of every other day asleep (assuming 8 hours out of 24 is sleep-time).

So when you've been playing for 4.5 hours solid, your character's been awake about thirty-six subjective hours.

This is, frankly, what my emoting starts to look like anyway.

Morrolan  (Agent beat me to it)
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I just imagined that the inhabitants of Zanthalas have become accustomed to little amounts of sleep.
he he
Live like God.
Love like God.

This is something at least a couple staff members would like to see more of as well.  I recently awarded a karma point to a player who regularly sleeps and who portrays believable sleep-deprivation when they have not slept for two Zdays.  Beautiful stuff.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

I MIGHT go to sleep, if its late Dusk or Late at Night and there isn't much going on. Rather than walking 4000 rooms to the nearest bar, I might just plop down and go to sleep.

Because it sure fucks with the PCs that try to contact you. Sometimes they don't understand why you were unconscious, and ask if you are okay. =)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'd like to encourage characters to have habits and hobbies just for the sake of it. Maybe your (non-dwarf) character loves fast mounts and will prefer a strong erdlu to a beetle. Or your badass warrior-soldier is a shopaholic and spends all of her pay on a pretty jozhal-hide bag, some hair braids, tattoos, etc. Or have a character who's addicted to tavern-sitting just the way that some people are addicted to Facebook/IRC.

Not all obsessions have to be spice or alcohol or dwarf foci.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on March 09, 2009, 10:34:28 AM
This is something at least a couple staff members would like to see more of as well.  I recently awarded a karma point to a player who regularly sleeps and who portrays believable sleep-deprivation when they have not slept for two Zdays.  Beautiful stuff.

But please, good folks, know that some of us are knowingly trading off this bit of realism for the sake of making the fullest use of meager playing time.  :-\
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

March 16, 2009, 10:40:38 AM #84 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:43:10 AM by hyzhenhok
There is always a gap between the RL time constraint and actual IG time, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most characters sleep in the virtual time that we don't have access to as players. If my character hangs out in a tavern between dusk and dawn, I should be able to roleplay having crashed in the tavern's commons for a bit without having to just dump the people I'm roleplaying with and actually do so. And if a character ICly called me out for "not getting enough sleep," I would find that jarring, placing IC stock on something that is limited by OOC realities.

March 16, 2009, 06:09:03 PM #85 Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:16:29 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 16, 2009, 09:44:35 AM

But please, good folks, know that some of us are knowingly trading off this bit of realism for the sake of making the fullest use of meager playing time.  :-\

Exactly this. Logging in to effectively stay motionless and idle is crossing the line into absurdity. This is a game!! What will be next? Will our characters have to take a crap every six hours and a piss every three? Will they have to start brushing their teeth every dawn and stand in line to use a washbucket? Will not simulating a hair cut once a month start being considered bad form?

Please stop trying to raise the bar where it doesn't make sense. Zalanthas has a nine-hour day, only two of which are dark, and even then only if the moons aren't in the sky which they mostly are. Obviously, expecting people to sleep according to an Earthly schedule is out of the question!
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on March 16, 2009, 06:09:03 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 16, 2009, 09:44:35 AM

Exactly this. Logging in to effectively stay motionless and idle is crossing the line into absurdity. This is a game!! What will be next? Will our characters have to take a crap every six hours and a piss every three? Will they have to start brushing their teeth every dawn and stand in line to use a washbucket? Will not simulating a hair cut once a month start being considered bad form?

Please stop trying to raise the bar where it doesn't make sense. Zalanthas has a nine-hour day, only two of which are dark, and even then only if the moons aren't in the sky which they mostly are. Obviously, expecting people to sleep according to an Earthly schedule is out of the question!

I don't understand.
Someone said that it was kind of cool and fleshed out the game when people rp details of their character's life like sleeping.
Nobody said you'll be rounded up and shot for not doing it.

I don't understand why everything has to be such a big drama fest around here.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Regarding sleeping:

This has actually been one of my favorite things to do lately in game. Why? Because the think command lets your character dream! I always have a blast when I'm asleep because I can make my character dream all sorts of crazy stuff, and react to it in her sleep, then tell all of her friends about this scary/weird/awesome dream that she had. Then again, I have a good deal of time to play, but sleeping is far from staying motionless and idling.

March 18, 2009, 04:42:37 AM #88 Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:06:25 AM by SMuz
Quote from: Aesuna on March 18, 2009, 04:27:03 AM
Regarding sleeping:

This has actually been one of my favorite things to do lately in game. Why? Because the think command lets your character dream! I always have a blast when I'm asleep because I can make my character dream all sorts of crazy stuff, and react to it in her sleep, then tell all of her friends about this scary/weird/awesome dream that she had. Then again, I have a good deal of time to play, but sleeping is far from staying motionless and idling.
This. Dreams are awesome. Pwns solo RP anytime.

Sleeping is like a death sentence, risking the loss of your character's pants, getting an instant critical hit, etc. I've even had an imm mention to me that it's stupid not a good idea to sleep in public. Anyone who'd actually sleep every day deserves a karma point, and it's great because I actually stopped sleeping because it felt like such a wrong thing to do.

Added to prevent double post:
I'd like to encourage you guys to read up on body language. Makes for some awesome emoting. Also, know your character's eq list, some armor will creak or snap, certain type of clothes hinder movement/visibility and it's great to see someone taking that to account.

And use hemotes liberally with certain types of body language. E.g. smiling, but hemoting that your eyes are glaring towards ~person; telling someone a lie (with a straight face), then hemoting that you're spending a lot of effort to keep that straight face.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I'd like to encourage the formatting to how dreams come out be changed...

It's WAY awkward.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: FuSoYa on March 18, 2009, 01:05:55 PM

It's WAY awkward.

Brandon

Examples?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I actually rather like the open-ended format. Can pull off first- and third- person dreams with equal aplomb this way.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

...other players to ignore me today. I'm feeling especially crabby.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: mansa on March 18, 2009, 01:22:56 PM

It's WAY awkward.

Brandon

Examples?

Just make it like feel instead of think.

Quote from: Good Gortok on March 19, 2009, 01:05:49 AM
Quote from: mansa on March 18, 2009, 01:22:56 PM

It's WAY awkward.

Brandon

Examples?

Just make it like feel instead of think.

Exactly.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Dishonesty
It's nice to have friends you can know and trust, but what about those guys that will telll a lie, right to your face? Oh yeah... I'm sayin' I wanna get real pissed off when I give the most oustanding, honest, couragous man who just saved me from getting my ass kicked in a bar-fight, 100 coins to get me a cheap bottle of wine from said bar, and I never see him again.

I really want to see people with a total disregard for other's PC lives. Ask for a drink of water and run off with all of it. Ask for something to eat and run off with it. Ask to see something you're about to buy and run off with it. Suprise me. ;)
Live like God.
Love like God.

...characters to not act like tards.

You're in a pinch. You're getting your ass whipped. You're allowed to live.

Please, don't turn around and give your merciful handler more lip. If it's been established that they will whip your ass and take your life at will, why encourage them to?

I encourage more players to grovel.

I encourage more players to acquiesce.

I encourage more players to show respect, if at least only visibly. Think whatever you what behind their back, but jeez.  ::)

More wound RP. Seriously. It looks like fun. Makes me wish I got badly hurt to RP stuff like that.

Also, I don't think people realize how tough Zalanthians really are. They CAN walk around after a long rest after having nearly died. It happens. So I encourage you to remember you characters can survive arrow wounds, when you might not be able to.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on March 26, 2009, 10:21:23 PM
More wound RP. Seriously. It looks like fun. Makes me wish I got badly hurt to RP stuff like that.

Also, I don't think people realize how tough Zalanthians really are. They CAN walk around after a long rest after having nearly died. It happens. So I encourage you to remember you characters can survive arrow wounds, when you might not be able to.
I actually RP'ed walking around with a broken leg once, using it as an excuse to only log on, but skip chores, and my character was denied a promotion because of it. It was fun :D And I love RP'ing getting an artery cut after a strong hit - all the blood that spills on the armor helps a lot in that too.

Quote from: Eloran on March 21, 2009, 10:41:37 PM
Please, don't turn around and give your merciful handler more lip. If it's been established that they will whip your ass and take your life at will, why encourage them to?

Amen.  If Mr. Templar tells you to stop struggling, please don't be offended when further struggling gets you eaten by bugs.

Public disrespect is a crime worse than any other most people will commit.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.